Best way to transport car????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crimson&Clover

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

does anyone have any suggestions on the cheapest, most efficient way to transport a car from say, california to massachusetts?? (besides driving it)

all suggestions welcome...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually in the same boat. I'd like to know if anyone's heard of any discount places. (cheapest I've found is 700$ LA -> East coast)

I'm planning on sticking it on a trailer behind my UHaul truck for the seven hour drive from NC to OH. Might not be doable for a coast-to-coast trip though...

beyond all hope,

can i ask you which company you got that price quote from?

thanks..

I'm in the same boat, but opposite direction (RI to WA). My friend had his car shipped out here to RI from CA...pretty cheap, don't remember the price. The only problem is that shipping companies don't let you pack your car with stuff for shipping....has to be an empty car.

Any suggestions, besides driving cross country with it (might be fun, though)?

I looked into this on usenet newsgroups a few years ago, and there are ALOT of shady companies out there in the car transportation industry.

Really first of all, the best way to transport your car is to drive. You can do cross country in less than a week and even sooner if you buddy up....trust me, it will save you time and lots of headache.....

But if you must, the usenet groups seemed to have two clear reputable companies...one was horseless carriage, I believe in NJ. I can't remember the other one...They are more expensive than other companies, but you get what you pay for, and there are unlikely to be hidden costs with them, and probably no (or minimal) damage to your car.

With most car transport companies, buyer beware.....

I agree with the above post. When I moved from CA to the midwest for med school the transport company delivered my 21 days late (despite repeated phone calls)...I had to pay around 500 bucks in car rental fees since I did not have my car and of course was not reimbursed. The company was Robertson Towing and Transport...and be aware that many small companies will go by a different name and basically just find the business, but the actual transport is done by a different company (ie Robertson)

Joe

I briefly looked into it last year b/c I thought I might end up half way across the country... I have a relatively new car (2002) and Volkswagon said they could work with me to put my car on one of their new car shipping trucks. I know a few people who did this, so its something to think about. :cool:

scrubbs,

did you contact your local dealer to do this or the dealer in the area you were moving to? and how much were they charging?
thanks!!

I have used All America Auto Transport twice with no problems. Once FL-CA, then back again. I paid $850, about three weeks ago.

I talked to the dealer I bought the car from... my friend did this with a Saab from California to Philly for about $700 if I remember correctly. Not sure where that falls in the scheme of things, but worth looking into.

thanks for the info! did you guys use open or closed carriers? i'm kinda apprehensive about using open carriers, but the quotes i got for closed carriers were outrageous (like $1500!!)

Originally posted by jd807
I have used All America Auto Transport twice with no problems. Once FL-CA, then back again. I paid $850, about three weeks ago.

I used them too, to ship my car from California to Hawaii for med school.

ebay-

http://pages.ebay.com/ebaymotors/services/das-shipping.html

or call 1800-das-ebay

they are supposed to be the best.

They quoted me $600 for door to door Los Angeles to New York City. it was approx $400 if I dropped it off outside of LA and picked it up outside the city.

I have never shipped with them, but think they might be worth checking out.

cs