best ways to get blood out of your clothes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a bunch of clothes stained with largish amounts of blood which has already dried. Anyone have advice for me on washing it out without leaving a stain?

Members don't see this ad.

i dunno, but u should get rid of it before the police get on your trail ;)

beep said:
i have a bunch of clothes stained with largish amounts of blood which has already dried. Anyone have advice for me on washing it out without leaving a stain?

Ooooohhhh. This sounds like an ominous thread...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hydrogen peroxide. Trust me, after working as an EMT for a few years, I've learend that hydrogen peroxide works like a charm. Just throw your clothes into the washing machine, add some detergent and some hydrogen peroxide. You can try spot treating it with hydrogen peroxide too if the stain's pretty bad.

wash in cold water. absolutely important.

lderita46 said:
Hydrogen peroxide. Trust me, after working as an EMT for a few years, I've learend that hydrogen peroxide works like a charm. Just throw your clothes into the washing machine, add some detergent and some hydrogen peroxide. You can try spot treating it with hydrogen peroxide too if the stain's pretty bad.

Yep...I agree.

If it comes out of the washing machine, still stained, retreat. Do not dry until you are satisfied with the spot removal.

Reminds me of a Seinfeld bit where he was discussing how all laundry detergents claim they remove blood stains. He observed if you've got blood stains on your clothing you've got bigger problems than doing your laundry! :laugh:

beep said:

I'm just curious how you got so much blood on your clothes.

lderita46 said:
I talked to a retired homicide detective once who said he had cracked a case because he smelled hydrogen peroxide in the guy's place when he was interviewing. Turned out the peroxide had been used to clean up blood from the murder that took place there.

Ice and ice baths actually work quite well, too, if you don't have the hydrogen peroxide around. Just rub the ice all over the blood spot in the cold water.

lderita46 said:

Hi there,
I totally agree with this advice. If nothing else, rinse the blood out as much as possible with cold water and then apply hydrogen peroxide. After that, do the above and the stains should come out.

I also find that washing my white coat (often spotted with blood) with just a quarter cup of chlorine bleach keeps is sparkling white and does not overbleach like the hospital laundry. Washing your clothes with no more than 1/4 cup of chlorine bleach after hydrogen peroxide spotting also helps with getting blood out too

njbmd :)

at work i had to kill a crow that had been pecked close to death (and thus was pretty bloody), and there was more fight in it than i thought. should have put on a tyvek suit first. then i also got some rodent blood splashed on me later.

Members don't see this ad :)
the1111gal said:
i dunno, but u should get rid of it before the police get on your trail ;)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i was thinking the same thing so i laughed outloud when i read your post.

I second hydrogen peroxide. Works wonders. Also... getting the clothes washed as soon as possible is important too. Hard to get blood out when the clothes have been sitting there for days.

I also agree, H203 all the way, baby! :thumbup:

I was told by a surgeon friend, that if it's your own blood, just spit on it. Maybe not so sanitary, but your own saliva will break down your own blood and dissolve it. I think the blood still has to be in the "wet" stage for this to work though.

zout is pretty effective and what is left behind tends to be iron-related. rust remover will get out the last traces of a stain. trick from doctor mom

When I was ~10, I waswalking on top of wet monkey bars, slipped.... 21 stitches next to my eye (7 internal)...

My white shirt was red. ALL came out from one simple wash, cold cycle with normal detergent.

FloridaMadame said:
I was told by a surgeon friend, that if it's your own blood, just spit on it. Maybe not so sanitary, but your own saliva will break down your own blood and dissolve it. I think the blood still has to be in the "wet" stage for this to work though.

true! my mom's a quilter and whenever she would prick her finger, she'd spit on the fabric to get the blood out. only works on cottons, though...

jrdnbenjamin said:
Good lord, where do you work???

an agency that does surveillance for vector-borne diseases

To get those dried blood stains out of your clothes i would recommend Astonish Stain Remover Bar. What i do is first dampen the stain with some water and then rub the bar over the stain and it should completely remove it. To top it off you can always give the clothes a wash after but using the bar on it's own should be enough.

Hope that helps:)

To get those dried blood stains out of your clothes i would recommend Astonish Stain Remover Bar. What i do is first dampen the stain with some water and then rub the bar over the stain and it should completely remove it. To top it off you can always give the clothes a wash after but using the bar on it's own should be enough.

Hope that helps:)
Funniest necro-thread ever.

Hydrogen peroxide. Blood will break up instantly. Once blood is out, wash with water so you don't bleach your sheit