Best/Worst Medical School Web Sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dajimmers

Hedgehog!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Something to do while researching info for AMCAS/secondaries/interviews. I didn't add a poll b/c there are far too many schools for that. List a link to the school's web page, whether it's a Best or Worst, and a brief description of why it should qualify. We can vote once we've seen a few options.

I'll start out with Columbia as a worst. While not a bad site over all, I couldn't find any way of contacting the school about questions except in their stupid little message board forum full of people asking if they'll get in with a 3.0. This link is to the admissions website, but the Actual P&S Site doesn't have anything useful for applicants either.

OK, I guess they do have a phone number listed, but I'd prefer email. And that forum still sucks.

Members don't see this ad.

I, for one, loved Yale's website. Strictly on a design basis, it's just kind of pretty, but apart from that I was a huge fan of the "Viewbook" they had set up. It's the one school that I feel like I really have a concrete "feel" of at this early stage of the game.

Most medical schools' websites are pretty terrible--at least the public sites are. There's very little need for schools to put money into them, so they don't. It seems to me that the only med schools with excellent websites are affiliated with big universities that covered it under an umbrella project. Duke's is the best that I used and I can't really put my finger on the worst--there were several that were shamefully bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Woah, I hadn't made it to Duke's website yet. It's amazing. Can anyone beat it?

Penn's pretty ****ty. You'd think with all that money and all those professional schools they could string together a half decent website. What could they be doing with all that income?

dajimmers said:
Woah, I hadn't made it to Duke's website yet. It's amazing. Can anyone beat it?

wow it is indeed pretty... Hopkin's webpage comes pretty close to it also

I'm a fan of the OSU website. Clean presentation with actual contact information. And the admissions office actually replies to emails!

http://www.medicine.osu.edu

drguy22 said:
NJMS's is pretty avg....

http://njms.umdnj.edu/

RWJ's front page sucks..but once u click inside...its ok...

rwjms.umdnj.edu

I don't know, when I was looking at NJMS's website it seemed pretty good and easy to navigate through.

USF and UMiami have good websites as so does Ohio State.

UF's website, is not that great.

What I think is funny is that UMiami asks how they can improve their website on their secondary, according to the link at the top of preallo.

Geffen's is pretty awful. Looks ok, but it's full of dead links. Another annoying thing, the kind of thing that can give you anxiety, is if you click on for example the Admissions link on the front page, it takes you to some page with the exact same button. Click again Admissions, and you get a different page altogether. Lots of examples of this kind of thing. It's like they completely abandoned the site or something.

Buffalo's looks pretty cool but can be confusing to navigate. It doesn't seem to be updated all that often either. But overall it's not too bad I think.

http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu

Members don't see this ad :)
seilienne said:
I, for one, loved Yale's website. Strictly on a design basis, it's just kind of pretty, but apart from that I was a huge fan of the "Viewbook" they had set up. It's the one school that I feel like I really have a concrete "feel" of at this early stage of the game.
I heard Yale has an awesome med school.... :wow: :laugh:

I like Mayo's website: www.mayo.edu/mms

Everything is straightforward and easy to navigate...but maybe I just like it so much because it is Mayo. hmmm...

I also like Mount Sinai's strictly for the cool intro. Is that a good reason? :)
http://www.mssm.edu/bulletin/

seilienne said:

Yeah, Yale was definitely my favorite webpage back when I was applying and looking through all the different schools' webpages. TONS of info and presented in a really attractive way. It's pretty flashy but classy as well - usually when you see these kinds of things they really go overboard and it just gets in the way of navigating the page.

Yale's webpage gets my vote as the best.

gujuDoc said:
I don't know, when I was looking at NJMS's website it seemed pretty good and easy to navigate through.

USF and UMiami have good websites as so does Ohio State.

UF's website, is not that great.

What I think is funny is that UMiami asks how they can improve their website on their secondary, according to the link at the top of preallo.

I must respectfully disagree with my fellow Florindian (not a typo) here. I think Miami's website is crap! And I said so on their little secondary thing (of course, in not so many words)

Worst: Penn St (for content, the link gives more informaton on the hospital and NO PHONE NUMBER)
Best: MCW (one of the few props I'll give to them)

EDIT: I removed MSUCHM, they must have redone their website in the three months since I was last at their page.

i think this is one of the better sites i've come across:
http://dms.dartmouth.edu/
attractive, simple, and no excessive menu inside menu inside menu bullshhh.....er...poop.

one of the worst would definitely have to be:
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/cms/
too much clicking around without any clear organization...

I'd disagree about Einstein -- I think it's average to good, not really bad.

MUSC is HORRIBLE!
Penn State has no info on it.

Some of these sites just make me want to scream. A few schools are good (or at least adequate) though. Pitt isn't bad. I think Drexel's is pretty good. Emory's sucks. And Penn is pretty good, although it's a bit too showy without enough info.

edit: I forgot Temple. I think I might vote Temple as one of the worst out there.

Tigerstang said:
I must respectfully disagree with my fellow Florindian (not a typo) here. I think Miami's website is crap! And I said so on their little secondary thing (of course, in not so many words)

Relative to USF and a few others, I'd say yes. But relative to UF's webpage, I'd say its a bit better. Not the best but not the worst.

Are you Indian too???

The one thing I'd like to see on the Fl school pages is something similar to Ohio State and other schools in that..........

I'd like to see a little video clip where they have students talking about the school as they give you a virtual tour through the facilities etc. I know a lot of schools do that. I think Duke's seemed to do that as well, when I just went to the link given by one of the above posters.

But the Fl. schools should do it too.

Tulane's is ugly too

and boring :sleep:

Indryd said:
Geffen's is pretty awful. Looks ok, but it's full of dead links. Another annoying thing, the kind of thing that can give you anxiety, is if you click on for example the Admissions link on the front page, it takes you to some page with the exact same button. Click again Admissions, and you get a different page altogether. Lots of examples of this kind of thing. It's like they completely abandoned the site or something.

I agree, Geffen's needs a lot of work. It's confusing because there are apparently two sites: www.medstudent.ucla.edu and dgsom.healthsciences.ucla.edu.

CuddlyKumquat said:
Tulane's is ugly too

and boring :sleep:

Agreed...it has all of these past years' info on it - really, how much effort would it take them to hire someone to update it?

I think GW's is confusing, particularly for MD/PhD applicants.

Dajimmers--

Your school must be stopped!!!

scooter31 said:
(I mean how many Nevadans are on the site, really?)

Another Nevadan here. Their webpage is ok. there's a lot of info there but it's hard to find sometimes. You can find match lists, incoming student manuals, recommended readings for interviews, its just navigation is the hard part.

Steiner said:
Another Nevadan here. Their webpage is ok. there's a lot of info there but it's hard to find sometimes. You can find match lists, incoming student manuals, recommended readings for interviews, its just navigation is the hard part.

Show me the way, Vegas bretheren...

Especially intereted in the MD/PhD option (everytime I try a link, it goes nowhere...)

gujuDoc said:
Relative to USF and a few others, I'd say yes. But relative to UF's webpage, I'd say its a bit better. Not the best but not the worst.

Are you Indian too???

The one thing I'd like to see on the Fl school pages is something similar to Ohio State and other schools in that..........

I'd like to see a little video clip where they have students talking about the school as they give you a virtual tour through the facilities etc. I know a lot of schools do that. I think Duke's seemed to do that as well, when I just went to the link given by one of the above posters.

But the Fl. schools should do it too.

Ok, but I'm talking about specifically Miami's med part. I mean come on (http://www.miami.edu/medical-admissions/), it looked like a four year old designed it! The huge-mongous font in all bond? And also the dude and chick you see when you click on M.D Program (http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,2600-1;14190-2,00.html) really freak me out. It's like the dude is staring at me. At least UF's is aesthetically pleasing (useless, but pleasing!).

I haven't seen those videos. I should them out, sounds actually useful. God forbid.

And yes, I'm a Florindian originally from Jacksonville.

So I'm a redneck Indian.

scooter31 said:
Show me the way, Vegas bretheren...

Especially intereted in the MD/PhD option (everytime I try a link, it goes nowhere...)

This is all I could find, you've probably seen it. A lot of there page is down right now. I do know that they get a few MD/Phd students every year. I heard that they try and recruit them from the incoming classes sometimes and offer full tuition assistantships. But that's just hearsay. I would call Linda Marshall for actual information.

http://meded2.med.unr.edu/research/grad_pro.html

Info lines
(702) 671-2240, (775) 784-6063

Tigerstang said:
Ok, but I'm talking about specifically Miami's med part. I mean come on (http://www.miami.edu/medical-admissions/), it looked like a four year old designed it! The huge-mongous font in all bond? And also the dude and chick you see when you click on M.D Program (http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,2600-1;14190-2,00.html) really freak me out. It's like the dude is staring at me. At least UF's is aesthetically pleasing (useless, but pleasing!).

I haven't seen those videos. I should them out, sounds actually useful. God forbid.

And yes, I'm a Florindian originally from Jacksonville.

So I'm a redneck Indian.

Looks like they changed it from the last time I was there.

I thought the main page for the med school was a picture of Jackson hospital with all the sublinks at the top. But I guess it seems they've changed it.

Steiner said:
This is all I could find, you've probably seen it. A lot of there page is down right now. I do know that they get a few MD/Phd students every year. I heard that they try and recruit them from the incoming classes sometimes and offer full tuition assistantships. But that's just hearsay. I would call Linda Marshall for actual information.

http://meded2.med.unr.edu/research/grad_pro.html

Info lines
(702) 671-2240, (775) 784-6063

Much appreciated, Steiner. :thumbup:

gujuDoc said:
Looks like they changed it from the last time I was there.

I thought the main page for the med school was a picture of Jackson hospital with all the sublinks at the top. But I guess it seems they've changed it.

Isn't the dude crrepy? You can't deny his creepiness.

I think Wake forest should be added to the bad. I find their site annoying to navigate, and lacking in particularly useful information, especially their MD/PhD site- ugh! it seems pretty useless.

Tigerstang said:
Isn't the dude crrepy? You can't deny his creepiness.

Yes you are right about the new website. The old one was really good. I don't know why they changed it.

In the older website, they had the mainpage show up as a pic to Jackson memorial hospital in the center of the page with the sublinks above it.

This new site, I can see why you hate it.

Reimat said:
I think Wake forest should be added to the bad. I find their site annoying to navigate, and lacking in particularly useful information, especially their MD/PhD site- ugh! it seems pretty useless.

I second the MD/PhD difficulties at WFU. But, once you have the right link, it goes relatively smoothly...

It's pretty nice set up they have going there in Winston for the MD/PhD-- they're pretty high on my list.

UCLAstudent said:
I agree, Geffen's needs a lot of work. It's confusing because there are apparently two sites: www.medstudent.ucla.edu and dgsom.healthsciences.ucla.edu.
Methinks two different front pages...same site. If you go to one and are looking for admissions info, the only logical place to look is under "Prospective," and when you click that it takes you to a page with a link that says "Admissions". This link takes you to the same page full of broken links etc as the second website you listed there.

pooey but lame