Best & Worst Medical School Websites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peter Parker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My vote for best website -- Columbia P&S. Really professional. Runner-up: Baylor. Friendly design and full of useful info.

My vote for worst website -- Rush. It isn't that bad on its own, just relatively. Runner-up: Northwestern.

Members don't see this ad.

duke meds is pretty spiffy - but almost too clean so you can't root around and find insider info, only the infomercial sort of stuff

harvard meds is pretty beat for a school that one would think would have a better one (md/phd pages blow - not that i'm in any danger of that affecting me :) !)

-jot

Best-- JHU

worst--HMS

just my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
Runner up?! Why i oughtta....!! :wink: To be honest i never really looked around the baylor site till i was in except to fill out the secondary. It IS really lacking in housing info and other stuff about houston, though. --Trek

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Peter Parker:
•My vote for best website -- Columbia P&S. Really professional. Runner-up: Baylor. Friendly design and full of useful info.

My vote for worst website -- Rush. It isn't that bad on its own, just relatively. Runner-up: Northwestern.•••••Spiderman,
Are you voting for Columbia P&S because that was where you got bitten by that 15th spider? :D

Best website: Duke
Runner-up: Duke
3rd place: Duke

More seriously, I'd have to go with Columbia P&S' as the best website I've seen. The worst will have to be Duke's MD/PhD program website.

I agree, Columbia's is really flashy. But HMS far from the worst.. some schools hardly even have websites!! For example, UH's is pretty bad, but at least you'd expect that. What's frustrating is when the information hasn't been updated in several years. I remember seeing one admissions page which hadn't been updated since 1995. :confused:

I'd say one of the worst websites for a top 50 school belongs to U of Miami. The website has quite a bit of information, but it's badly organized, feels messy, and is difficult to navigate...bah!

Best Website: University of Wisconsin (I am biased)

WORST: Hands down Northwestern

Wake Forest, although I may be biased. It's got LOTS of info for prospective students AND med students, and also got lots of virtual tour stuff.

Check out OSU's <a href="http://medicine.osu.edu/admissions/tour.cfm" target="_blank">website</a>. It's really awesome, especially their high bandwidth video clips. They just make me want to apply there.

Irvine's is pretty useless if you're applying. It's a little better once you're a student.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Aria111:
•I'd say one of the worst websites for a top 50 school belongs to U of Miami. The website has quite a bit of information, but it's badly organized, feels messy, and is difficult to navigate...bah!•••••I agree that U Miami's website needs a LOT of improvement!

I thought Jefferson's could use some work. Northwestern's seems pretty sleek but doesn't offer much in the way of useful info for the prospective applicant.

Columbia's Admissions website is nice, but its med school/curriculum website is awful, disorganized as hell. Anatomy website hasn't been touched in two years. You'll see when you get here in August. Comes from the Health Sciences computer services being separate from the Morningside (undergrad) computer services department. On top of this, the Hospital uses a THIRD department ('Core Resources' or some BS) for their computer/server systems. It's a mess, although I know Dean Fischbach has plans to bring in people to overhaul it soon (this summer, I hope...)

Worst: UCI. I've worked with chimps that could probably design a better page.

The Duke site is way too cheesy and cheerful, it looks like they're trying to sell you car insurance or something.

Its funny how some of the top schools (Harvard, Northwestern) have the most bootleg sites imaginable. The New Jersey Medical School websites and Jefferson are really lame too.

I'm probably an outlier, but I'm a big fan of Cornell's site.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Trek:
•Runner up?! Why i oughtta....!! :wink: To be honest i never really looked around the baylor site till i was in except to fill out the secondary. It IS really lacking in housing info and other stuff about houston, though. --Trek•••••Baylor is good-depending on what you are looking for.If you want the admissions stuff,which you don't now :clap: ,it is pretty much informative.Too many specifics on the residencies are lacking.Some of their links have been "coming soon" for over a year!The homepage has not changed in a while either.It has been about a month or two since I visited tho.Their PA webpage on the other hand is "fresh" and contains a lot of info.I wonder why it is so lopsided.(I am willing to eat my words if they have changed their webpage :) .But IMHO it has looked the same for about a year or so_Ok off to check...)

the cornell tri-institutional site (cornell/rockefeller/sloankettering) is pretty nice. thinking aobut it now - dukes site is just freakin lame - no substance

I actually thought northwesterns website was pretty good, i guess i'm in the dark then.

the worst i've seen for a "good" school was Pitt.
it looks like my mom made the web page.

Actually, Pitt just updated their site last week.
Check it out:

<a href="http://www.dean-med.pitt.edu" target="_blank">University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine</a>