Beth Israel Deaconess (BIDMC), Harvard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Airway81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone:

I had a question about Beth Israel Deaconess (BIDMC) and their anesthesia program.

As I understand it, this hospital had recently become part of the Harvard Med School System...Harvard Students do rotations there...

However, MGH and BWH are the well known Harvard Hospitals. So, how many Harvard students rotate at BIDMC? Only a few? Or lots? What is its reputation? It is a solid anesthesia program?

Where does BIDMC fit, seeing as MGH and BWH have great programs? Is it an "ivy-league" institution? When people tell me they are from Harvard, I assume MGH or BWH, not BIDMC.

Please advise...it appears to be an awsome place from their website, but I'm not from Boston and I dunno the local reputation. How is BIDMC in general compared to other hospitals like NYPH, UPMC, JHU?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Only another MS-4's impression: I think every one knows that BID = Harvard. But while MGH and BWH are the "best of the best", BID is probably a notch below. It's a "top 20" program, probably on par reputation-wise with other "top 20" programs across the country. On the other hand, attaching the name Harvard to anything is bound to help in the reputation/prestige department, if that's what you mean. That's just my impression from speaking to other people on interviews. Would be glad to be corrected by someone who knows more about program reputations and what not.

Regarding your other post, I'd keep the BID interview. I liked the program as much as UPenn, and I certainly liked it more than the UPenn dinner. If you're already going to be in Boston, why not check it out? If you're that concerned about what UPenn thinks, call them the day of and tell them your flight got delayed and you're going to miss the dinner -- or something to that effect ...

Thank you, that is very practical advice!

I hope I hear more from other people...keep the posts commin'

Members don't see this ad :)
Airway,

BIDMC has been a part of the Harvard system for decades—this is not something new. In fact, the hospital is located right across the street from the Harvard Medical School, as is the Brigham. MGH is located a few miles across town.

The hospital is staffed by physicians with appointments at the Harvard Medical School—and all of our medical students are HMS students. HMS has a large yearly class, and they service the three hospitals. As residents, we also are part of HMS.

In terms of the anesthesia program, it’s excellent. We are extremely well trained. Our cardiac anesthesia training is superb, with a very busy service and the latest and greatest training in TEE’s. In fact, the department holds a very popular TEE conference each year attracting people from all over the country. A newly created regional block resident has been working out great, giving us all tons of blocks. Our pain program is one of the busiest on the East Coast. Our OB service includes 14 delivery rooms and three operating rooms and we all get the required epidurals/spinals very early in our residency.

We have lectures (30-45 minutes) every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, along with Grand Rounds on Wednesday mornings. The lectureship series has been completely revamped over the past two years and is really good. Lectures are divided into blocks and provide us with relevant, useful knowledge applicable to the operating room, peppered with board material. Our program director is responsive and is very resident-friendly. Most importantly, people are friendly. BI truly has a collegial atmosphere (we’re commonly referred to as “Harvard with a heart”) and an environment that really stands out in Boston.

Locally, all three hospitals are well respected. MGH is the best known nationally. I have friends at both MGH and the Brigham and everyone seems satisfied with their choice. And obviously I am exceedingly happy with my experience at BI. Simply put, the best advice is to visit the three along with other programs around the country, figure out their pluses and minuses, and most importantly find out where you best fit in. Best of luck.

-Lakerjock (CA2)

As I understand it, this hospital had recently become part of the Harvard Med School System...Harvard Students do rotations there...

As noted above, BID has been part of the Harvard system for some time. In fact, there was a book written about it and the Harvard med students who rotate there. It's called "The House of God."

An interesting thread from several years ago. I wanted to see how people perceived BIDMC now.

Is this program destined to be living in the shadow of the other two Harvard affiliates (MGH, Brigham)? Or can it stand alone and still be considered an elite program like Penn, Columbia, Cornell, Stanford, UCLA, etc.

For example, if there was a private practice or academic center looking to hire, I would think an employer looking at candidates from MGH vs. Penn would think, "wow, both great programs." But all other things being equal, if they were to consider candidates from MGH vs. BIDMC, wouldn't they quickly assume, "okay, big Harvard vs. little Harvard, a much easier comparison."

I guess I'm asking how PDs/chairs around the country really rank BIDMC in the realm of elite reputation programs. Any thoughts?

I think that when choosing a program, you should choose what program you like the best, not what program you think has the biggest name. You don't need to graduate from MGH or Penn to get a good job.

I think that when choosing a program, you should choose what program you like the best, not what program you think has the biggest name. You don't need to graduate from MGH or Penn to get a good job.
I completely agree with anesthesiabucky. You want a place that will provide you with excellent clinical training, prepare you for your future plans (be it fellowship, private practice, or research), and educate you in preparation for written/oral boards -- All of these factors are what BIDMC provides and makes it arguably one of the best programs out there.

BIDMC grads get their top choices in all of the fellowships and support from attendings who have connections across the country to find jobs in a competetive market. The residents present/publish just as much as residents from the other Boston programs. Cutting edge educational initiatives include weekly simulation sessions, TEE simulation program, afternoon didactics 3-4 times per week that are available online....The didactic program is strong and highly envied by residents from other programs who have only weekly lectures that they can rarely attend because they're working in the OR.

As for caprisun's "living in the shadow" comment -- most people from other states don't even know that there are 3 hospitals in the Harvard system, much less care about the purported differences in reputation.

In choosing a residency, reputation isn't everything. Be more concerned about how you fit in with a program; think about your goals and if they fit in with how a program will work to make you a competent, well-trained, successful anesthesiologist.