Beth Israel Deaconess

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jingojango

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

Does anyone know how good the Beth Israel Deaconess program is? Is it on par with MGH or Brigham?

Just wondering, cuz I noticed MGH and BW mentioned quite a bit when top 10 lists are being discussed.

Any input appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I have talked to a few BI residents, they seem faily happy. The BI probably has a smaller case volume than MGH or BWH, they also get out for lectures in the pm. The reason they are able to do this is because they have a lot of attendings. My understanding is that the majority of the time you are one on one as a resident with your attending. I don't think the program is considered as highly "ranked" as BWH or MGH, but it may be the best depending on a person's personality. I guess I don't really have that much info, but that's my take on BI.

I interviewed there and at B&W and MGH. It's a nice hospital and has the Harvard name. However, it doesn't have the reputation that Brigham and MGH have in anesthesia. I think part of that is because there was a lot of transition and some financial difficulties a few years ago. That hurt the hospitals reputation. I believe all that is over and done with now, however rumors like that take a few years to dissipate and probably hurt recruitment. One thing that turned me off when I was there were several residents saying that it was Harvard but you didn't have to work as hard as at the other 2. I don't know if that's true or not though. Everyone I met there was very nice. I'm sure you would get good training there. One unique thing about the program I remember is that there is the opportunity to get certified in accupuncture if you're interested in pain management.