Better - Atul Gawande?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ribbondino

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished Complications and loved it. I was thinking of buying Better with the Christmas money I have left, but I saw a lot of negative reviews on it. People say that it is much unlike Complications and that Atul has gotten arrogant.
Any opinions? I don't want to use the last of my money on a book I may be unhappy with. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I just checked, you can get a copy on Amazon for $2 used and $7 new (and shipping is a few bucks). If the last of your Christmas money is < $5 then I don't have any advice, sorry.

Hmm I guess I didn't really think of his attitude that way, but I think it's still worth a read - all of the different scenarios he talks about are thought-provoking and presented well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished Complications and loved it. I was thinking of buying Better with the Christmas money I have left, but I saw a lot of negative reviews on it. People say that it is much unlike Complications and that Atul has gotten arrogant.
Any opinions? I don't want to use the last of my money on a book I may be unhappy with. :confused:

Gawande is one of the best contemporary physician authors. I think his books and his articles in the New Yorker and very thought provoking and offer fantastic insight into current medical practices. Complications is more a memoir of Gawande's surgical residency while Better and Checklist Manifesto are more focused on changes in healthcare.

Last edited:
I just checked, you can get a copy on Amazon for $2 used and $7 new (and shipping is a few bucks). If the last of your Christmas money is < $5 then I don't have any advice, sorry.
I was looking more for an opinion on the book, but thank you for checking amazon! :) I love their prices.
Gwande is one of the best contemporary physician authors. I think his books and his articles in the New Yorker and very thought provoking and offer fantastic insight into current medical practices. Complications is more a memoir of Gwande's surgical residency while Better and Checklist Manifesto are more focused on changes in healthcare.
I really like the way you phrased this response; I think I will have to buy it. I think I even liked Gawande more than Robert Marion, and I adore his writing.

I own all three of his books and have enjoyed them all. I don't know where the negativity is coming from. He is the best physician author that I have come across!

I highly recommend his books.

I have all three of his books and have enjoyed them all. I don't know where the negativity is coming from. He is the best physician author that I have come across!

I highly recommend his books.

Thanks! I am going to order it! :D

/thread

Another good read is Intern by Sandeep Jauhar.

I just finished reading it last week. I highly recommend it, he talks about his time in the war as a surgeon, the eradication or polio, how OB has advanced so quickly and so much, how to make simple changes to help better out health system, he also talks a good deal about the legal and money side of medicine (malpractice), and even talks about a lawyer who used to be a physician that now sues physicians. It will definetly keep you entertained if you love the aspect of medicine and different health care systems, and you might learn a few things while your at it. Spend the 2-7 bucks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

Gawande is one of the best contemporary physician authors. I think his books and his articles in the New Yorker and very thought provoking and offer fantastic insight into current medical practices. Complications is more a memoir of Gawande's surgical residency while Better and Checklist Manifesto are more focused on changes in healthcare.

I've read all three books and agree with this assessment. I would also recommend looking into Routine Miracles by Conrad Fischer. I thought that it was an interesting. It talks about how far medicine has come in the past 30-40 years and where it is headed. It was written to serve as a source of optimism for prospective medical students, particular with the high level of physician dissatisfaction (from the old guard). In the book, he also talks about how the older generation of physicians, and medicine in general, is so resistant to change and what needs to be done to improve the healthcare system/improve the treatment of particular diseases.

Thank you! I am adding all of these books to my list.

If you're not sure, check it out from the library and see how you like it. I personally think that Complications, Better and The Checklist Manifesto are all wonderful books that do not suggest arrogance in any way (I don't know Atul Gawande so I don't know if he himself is arrogant).

If you want to read other stuff by Gawande he also writes pretty interesting articles for the New Yorker which you can find online. He was one really interesting one that I remember that talked about 5 different countries (including the US) and how their health care systems evolved in consequence to WW2. Fascinating.

it's an easy and quick read

worth it imo.

Another good read is Intern by Sandeep Jauhar.
Thank you!:D
I just finished reading it last week. I highly recommend it, he talks about his time in the war as a surgeon, the eradication or polio, how OB has advanced so quickly and so much, how to make simple changes to help better out health system, he also talks a good deal about the legal and money side of medicine (malpractice), and even talks about a lawyer who used to be a physician that now sues physicians. It will definetly keep you entertained if you love the aspect of medicine and different health care systems, and you might learn a few things while your at it. Spend the 2-7 bucks!

That sounds freaking awesome. I love almost anything related to healthcare, so I always feel like any new books are a gold mine. Have you read any of Robert Marion's stuff?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

If you're not sure, check it out from the library and see how you like it. I personally think that Complications, Better and The Checklist Manifesto are all wonderful books that do not suggest arrogance in any way (I don't know Atul Gawande so I don't know if he himself is arrogant).
My library actually didn't have it checked in, and I hate waiting for new books. I added The Checklist Manifesto to my list.

If you want to read other stuff by Gawande he also writes pretty interesting articles for the New Yorker which you can find online. He was one really interesting one that I remember that talked about 5 different countries (including the US) and how their health care systems evolved in consequence to WW2. Fascinating.
Wow, thank you! I had read about his involvement with the New Yorker but I didn't know that I could just read his stuff online. Definitely checking them out!!! :love:
I'm surprised nobody has posted his website. He has links to his scholarly works.

http://gawande.com

Enjoy!!
Thank you again! It's Atul heaven.:love:

Oh and btw, I ordered Better! :thumbup: I hope the blizzard doesn't slow the mail too much.....