Better chance at middle teir NY schools than lower teir out-of-state schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a ny resident. I wanted to know if I'll have a better chance at the Sinai's and the Einstein's than at some of the "safe" schools that are out-of-state. With below avg. numbers, should one even bother......

Members don't see this ad.

There is no such animal as a "safe" school. Even some folks with 4.0 and high MCAT scores get rejected for reasons other than the numbers.

Einstein and Mt. Sinai are private medical schools with high standards for admission. State residency is irrelevant.

With "below average" numbers, you may have a hard enough time anywhere, especially at non- New York state schools.

I am not trying to be mean. I believe you have to face facts.
I do not say you cannot be accepted to medical school, I am making a prediction only of the likelihood. I have known students to be accepted to medical schools with what appear to be non-competitive numbers, but usually something else is involved; I am neither referring to "affirmative action" nor "pull."

Without knowing if you have a "something else", I can say no more.

first of all, what do you mean by below average? Like a 2.0 and a 25 on MCAT, well you might have some issues.

According to my pre-med advisor, NY residents DO have a slight advantage at private schools in NY State- so definitely apply there, but dont forget about the SUNY downstate, upstate, (maybe stony brook) and buffalo, which take a lot of applicants with lower scores.

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
whoa, hold up, i didnt mean numbers that low, i meant numbers which are jus a lil below the average. Anyway, I am already applying to all the suny's, but I am unsure about applying to more private out-of-ny schools than private ny schools. When it comes to private schools, i hear i have a better chance at ny schools(sinai, einstein, NYMC, etc. ) than out-of-ny schools (mcp hann, chicago, jefferson, etc.).

Any thoughts?

I just started AE this week and while I have to admit that there are quite a few NYers, I don't think it's necessarily a correlation to being a NY resident. Many are from the area and wanted to stay near NY or had a significant other around here. I'm almost positive that preference isn't given to state residents for private schools, there just might be a higher number of state residents that matriculate to it.

I know MCP and Jefferson don't have any preference for PA residents, and even if there is a preference, it's very very minimal.

You also have to realize that applying to Sinai and Einstein, may require slightly higher numbers than MCP or Chicago. I believe the earlier schools have numbers around 3.6/31 and the later are 3.4/29.

BTW, for AE the stats for the Class of '06 is a 3.62/31. They just released the information.

Good luck!