Better chance for M.D. or D.O.????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmnguye4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Personal Statement has a theme of helping underserved commmunities. That's my main goal. :) I'm Asian/female/21/Texas Resident/Biology major.... I get my bachelors in Spring 2010.

I want to attend either Howard University of Medicine (M.D.) or Nova Southeastern of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O)

For AMCS:
cGPA = 3.55
sGPA = 3.44

For AACOM:
cGPA = 3.55
sGPA = 3.21

Taking MCAT July 30

Shadowed M.D. and D.O.... volunteer in E.R.... choir.... vounteer teach kids to play piano... Work full-time with parents... Founder of student charity organization for underserved communities/wounded solidiers & veterans...

Which one do I have a better chance at? :rolleyes: Thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

how is the sGPA lower for the AACOM app

how about applying to texas schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well you don't have a MCAT score yet so no one is really going to be able to tell you much. Have you looked up Howard to see that they're averages were?

And why those two schools? D.C. and Florida are very different. Will also repeat what someone above asked, what about Texas schools? You have some good options there that are good deals.

Why those schools in particular?

I think it's going to come down to your MCAT score. Break a 30 and you're probably competitive at MD schools.

Those two schools have a mission statement that appeals to me... serving the underserved communities. :)

Why not Texas? Well, I feel like Texas is too competitive. With my stats, I should save my money... Or should I? :confused: :D Do any of you see that I may have a chance? After all, Texas medical schools DO have a high preference for Texas residence and it would be nice to live with my family. :rolleyes:

Should I aim to take the MCAT on June 18 so I can turn in my applications early, thus a higher probability of interview? I was planning to take it on July 30... but if I commit myself to studying after finals are over (May 14), I may be ready to take it by June 18... What do you guys think? :p

Those two schools have a mission statement that appeals to me... serving the underserved communities. :)

Why not Texas? Well, I feel like Texas is too competitive. With my stats, I should save my money... Or should I? :confused: :D Do any of you see that I may have a chance? After all, Texas medical schools DO have a high preference for Texas residence and it would be nice to live with my family. :rolleyes:

Should I aim to take the MCAT on June 18 so I can turn in my applications early, thus a higher probability of interview? I was planning to take it on July 30... but if I commit myself to studying after finals are over (May 14), I may be ready to take it by June 18... What do you guys think? :p

You can go into this after graduating from any medical school. Limiting yourself to two schools significantly decreases your chances for an acceptance.

I have to agree with the opinions of the people here. Don't limit yourself to just two schools. Your AMCAS GPA although slighlty less than the national average for matriculants, is still with in range for some of the allopathic schools. Scoring a 32+ on the MCAT will definitely make you competitive for many schools.

The fact that you want to help the undeserved is awesome, but the school you attend will not put an extreme emphasis on that. You can learn everything you need to know about being a physician at any school, and then after practice in locations where you feel people are undeserved.

you should apply to every school in TX.

I think all of the Jesuit schools (Loyola, Saint Louis, Creighton, and Georgetown) also include serving the underserved communities in their mission statements. They're also generally ranked about average in terms of admissions stats, so you might be competetive depending on your MCAT. (My GPA was kind of similar to yours--3.49 overall, 3.45 science) and I got into Loyola.

Also, many schools, like the UC's, have special programs on serving the underserved, immigrant, etc. communities. Of course, as a out of state applicant you probably don't want to be applying to the UC's, but I'm just using them as an example.

As far as the MCAT goes, you want to take it when you're most ready. I found taking it a bit closer to finals helped me out because I felt studying for finals more or less equals studying for the MCAT. I took my first MCAT at the end of May, two weeks after classes ended. I retook it two weeks later, however, because I was sick at the first sitting (though I still took it...) and did quite a bit better.

I think June 18th is a more ideal date than July 30th, at least as far as application timing goes. But once again, you only want to take the MCAT when you're ready. I would recommend taking some of the AAMC practice tests, maybe at the end of May, and if you are scoring near/at the score you are looking for, then you are hopefully ready for the MCAT and can try and take it on an earlier date. (FYI, if you wait until the end of May to sign up for the June 18th exam, you may have to drive a ways to take the test.)

Just make sure to take the full test (including the writing sample, which won't be graded) and take it under the same conditions as the real test (no interruptions, bathroom breaks only during the 10 min break, or otherwise while the clock is running, etc.). That way, your scores will be more reflective of how you would do on the real thing.

You should seriously apply to every school in Texas! It's competitive, sure; but all med schools are competitive. Texas also shows a lot of love to its residents. And Texas tuition is relatively cheap!! If you've got a good MCAT (31+) I think you'd be a competitive MD applicant. Do you have any research in your ECs?

I would apply MD to every school in Texas at the least and maybe sprinkle in DOs as well. Apply broadly because that increases your chances!

You do know that Howard accepts 90% URM each year, mainly african americans. Since you indicated that you are Asian, you have a very low chance of getting in. This shouldn't discourage you from applying but I would invest more interest in different schools. Check out the latest MSAR.

Agree with above. Apply to lots and lots of schools. Apply to Texas schools. And make sure you nail the MCAT.

I was attracted to Nova for similar reasons. Now that I'm about done, I have to admit a lot of it is lip service. There is some institutional focus with increased time in rural rotations and some regular health fairs. The students, for the most part, have fairly run of the mill interests however. The school definitely doesn't churn out a lot of people going into poverty medicine. When I went to the conference for National Health Service Corps my first year I was the only Nova person. I remember there being 5-10 from Howard, however. Also, the school is about to get rid of the FREE combined MPH. They are instituting a per credit hour fee starting next year (the free dual degree was another big motivation for me). If you want more info let me know.