Better chance of hitting the lotto or gaining admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I pretty much know where I will be applying in the coming cycle (D.O.), but I wanted to check some opinions. I started college off slightly unambitious. Through the first 65 credit hours I had a 1.35 gpa (I know). I then took a couple of years off from college, I got my stuff together and over the past 115 credit hours I have had a 3.89 gpa. I have not calculated my cumulative gpa or science gpa but I know it will not be good, my gpa for D.O. schools will be much higher due to some retakes. With the exception of Bio 1 I have all SOLID A's in my prereq's and an A in Physiology (upper level). Bio 1 I have an A but it is a retake, I took an F in it from my unambitious days when I had no intentions on going pre med (I stopped going to class and never dropped).

I have just started taking practice tests of the MCAT and I am scoring above my expectations already. I will be taking the MCAT in August and do expect to have a competitive MCAT for Allo schools.

The reason I want to apply to some allo schools (4 of them) is for in state tuition (NY). Would it be reasonable to think I would have better than a snowballs chance in hell at getting any interviews based on the info I have given?

btw, no major volunteer experience (only about 100 hours), and minimal shadowing experience (around 100 hours). I do expect very strong LORS.

Members don't see this ad.

Hardbody said:
btw, no major volunteer experience (only about 100 hours), and minimal shadowing experience (around 100 hours). I do expect very strong LORS.

What makes the letters very strong? Maybe that will help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:

Very good relationship with the professors that will be writing them, aced multiple classes that I have had them in. I also know the physicians that I will have write letters very well (long time).

BrettBatchelor said:
It would be cheap to apply to only those few schools. You might as well give them a shot.

It would be and I will regardless, I was just curious what people that may know more than I do about admissions think or people that may know people that were in similar situations that gained admissions.

The whole process is very unpredictable and you never know who will see something in you. I'd say go apply. Expect the worst, but hope for the best.

HItting the lotto would be pretty damn cool though....but you;ve got a one in 18 bajillion chance to win...i'd go medicine

If I were you I would totally apply to a lot more schools than the 4 SUNYs. The med school application process is really unpredictable. There can easily be someone who is sympathetic to your plight at a top school. I say go for it.

albinomidget said:
If I were you I would totally apply to a lot more schools than the 4 SUNYs. The med school application process is really unpredictable. There can easily be someone who is sympathetic to your plight at a top school. I say go for it.

What really ticks me off is that the SUNY schools do not favor NY State residents (officially). My only problem is a very limited budget to apply to med school, otherwise I would apply to pretty much every med school in the country.

Hardbody said:
What really ticks me off is that the SUNY schools do not favor NY State residents (officially). My only problem is a very limited budget to apply to med school, otherwise I would apply to pretty much every med school in the country.

How can this be???....i dont understand. the MSAR said something along the lines that the SUNYs accepted something around 90% in state.

BaylorGuy said:
How can this be???....i dont understand. the MSAR said something along the lines that the SUNYs accepted something around 90% in state.
I thought all but SUNY Upstate prefer instate students. And MSAR agrees with me. Apparently Buffalo, Downstate, & Stony Brook all prefer instate applicants - officially.

Flopotomist said:
Sleeping with them, duh! :)

jebus said:
I thought all but SUNY Upstate prefer instate students. And MSAR agrees with me. Apparently Buffalo, Downstate, & Stony Brook all prefer instate applicants - officially.

I stand corrected, I do believe it was Upstate's website I read that off of

with the numbers you gave us, you have a OA GPA of 2.973 and im assuming your BCPM GPA is higher since you took those during your 'serious' years...if you could maybe take a few classes to get your OA above 3.0, I think youd be fine in the GPA department.

DrHuang said:
with the numbers you gave us, you have a OA GPA of 2.973 and im assuming your BCPM GPA is higher since you took those during your 'serious' years...if you could maybe take a few classes to get your OA above 3.0, I think youd be fine in the GPA department.

I actually think my BCPM will be a little bit lower because of 2 really easy science classes that I took and flunked during my first 65 credit hours. All of my pre req's have been aced though