Better for MCAT: Micro or A&P??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnnaB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to get a few opinions. I'm practically done with the med school pre reqs (all the basics down). I'm taking the MCAT April 2003. This summer I can take either Microbiology or Anatomy and Physiology at my school. I'm interested in both---so which one do you think would help more on the MCAT??? Opinions anyone??
Thanks, Anna

Members don't see this ad.

Although I've never taken Microbiology, I feel that Anatomy & Physiology did help me out on the MCAT -- the phsyiology portion of the course that is. But the other thing that A&P did was get me really excited about the human body and all the neat things that go on there. So although I can't compare I would say that A&P is not a waste of time.

I took A&P before my MCATS. It helped me a lot. I am taking microbiology now, and it is a good class, but I don't think I would have done any better on my MCATs if I would have had micro last year. From one Anna to another, take A&P.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm a veterinary science and microbiology double major. Or I was... I graduated last year. Anyway, vet science required A&P to graduate. Obviously micro required lots of micro :wink: The prof doing A&P covered all the human anatomy and then went into some livestock stuff (which I hated), and he was about 80 years old and taught incorrect physiology. So if that class would have been better, I think it would have helped me more. Thank God for biochem for that! I love micro. But I honestly don't think it helped that much. I actually found a mistake on the MCAT BS section that had to do with micro. It didn't win me back any points because it was an obscure point and not covered in general bio classes anywhere (their words), but they don't have any questions like that on it anymore. Yay me!

So yeah. Take A&P but only if the course is a good one. But take micro eventually. It is interesting. Of course I'm biased there :wink:

Your going to take just a summer course of A&P or micro. Your school doesn't offer an entire year of it like 3 credits one semester and 3 credits next semster.

Jeez I would take micro in the summer and an entire year of A&P. I took a 8 credit course of just human physiology. It really helped come MCAT. In my princeton course the break down of biology showed that I got only 1 or 2 wrong ot of 25 each time.

Good LucK

Ak

DEFINTELY A PHYSIOLOGY CLASS! I took Physiology last semester ( got a B+ :) ) and I am so grateful every day that I took it. I take the MCAT in just 5 weeks and it has helped me with the Biology section of the MCAT. It may make a substantial difference for that portion of the MCAT. Try and see if you can also take Biochem. before med. school. I think that is more essential than Microbio. from what people tell me. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doc AdamK in 2006:
Jeez I would take micro in the summer and an entire year of A&P.
••••I agree! Take a full year of A&P if possible. If not, I'd definately take A&P over Micro for a summer course.

In my opinion, you should definitely have Micro. On my MCAT, I had alot of Microbiology and Genetics questions. I hadn't had much genetics, so I had some trouble with those. But as far as micro, I think I did pretty good. However, A & P is also very beneficial. I took Anatomy and Physiology separate, as it was required by my major. To me, you learn more that way. That is my recommendation. And before med school, take biochem; a lot of schools are starting to require it anyway, so you might as well learn the material now.

Chris :p

Anatomy and Physiology for sure! I would say (now this is only my opinion) but 30-35% of my Bio section was Physiology, or somehow related to Phsy. Another 40% was O-chem and the last 25-30 was all the rest of the bio stuff (genetics, micro, evol. bio etc...) However, every test is a little different.