Better Grades or Better Job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skiracer123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been offered a research assistant position with a very prominent doctor working on pretty cutting edge stuff. He works at the medical school I would like to attend and I think I would love working with him. I know I would get multiple publications and a great letter of rec. from a famous doctor.

Unfortunately, he wants 25 hours a week min. I've been getting A's so far, but unfortunately, I'm pretty sure my grades will suffer if I take this job, as I can't get A's without a lot of studying.

The question is, which would look more attractive to admission offices? a 3.8 with no job or a 3.4 with a great job and the publications and letters of rec. that would come along with it?

Members don't see this ad.

How many credits are you taking? If it's like 17 or 18 it may be tough, and would require good time management.

Try if for one semester, and if you don't do as good as usual, just leave the position. Your not going to be in some contract are you?

My new thing is just to give things a try. You never know, it may be great, and you might regret it later on if you don't at least try it out.

It's a tradeoff.. a small GPA hit won't matter that much if the ad comm knows you've been spending your time wisely.

However, let me be the first to warn you.. RESEARCH IS A BLACKHOLE WHERE YOUR GRADES WILL DISAPPEAR INTO!! Especially from your description, if you're working a medschool they like to see what undergrads are capable of. Sure they always say, "your grades are what's important," but if that isn't a load of BS I don't know what is. They want you to stay in the lab and get work done.

I think that you should approach the PI and discuss your situation with him/her. I worked an average of 25 hours a week doing bench research last semester. However, the PI I was with was actually very willing to let me do light duty in the week before a big test or during finals week as long as I was willing to work nights and weekends during weeks when not a lot was going on. It may also depend on your project as well. Some projects you can schedule good stopping points into and some you cannot. Good luck.