Better LoRs? Dean's Letters.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering 3 things:

1) Is it smart to send 2 non-clinical LoRs (one basic research, one public health research) and only one clinical if 3 letters are required? Or should I make sure to have at least 2 clinical?

2) Okay to send only 2 clinical ones, both in the same field, but rotations done in different places?

3) Does the Dean's Letter count as one of the 4 letters?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I would say the more clinical references the better.
2) Sure, why not?
3) The MSPE does not count as a LOR.

i would recommend submitting an additional clinical letter . . . making your total LOR's 4. for a residency ap, i really think more than one clinical letter is absolutely necessary. of course, research and public health shouldn't be left out either. hence the 4th rec. good luck.

Thanks! That really helps.

When is the last date that you can submit a LOR?

i don't think there is one (a final date), though obviously you'd want the letter in and downloaded by targeted programs before you interview there.

I'm in a situation where my last LOR was just sent in today ...

I got a copy faxed to me though to take with me until they can get an official copy from eras (however long it takes for the ecfmg to scan and upload it)

Thank you!! yeah, was just wondering, cause my last one will most likely be ready only in mid. November.
And Bevo- on the ECFMG site today, they said they are uplaoding things mailed to them on Oct. 23, and that it takese 5-7days for them to get to it.