Better route for Oral Surgery application: Retake CBSE or Internship after dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abasic91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all my fellow Oral & Maxillofacial maniacs (students, residents, practicing doctors)

Main question:
If you do poorly on your CBSE and don’t get in first time appplying, would you be more competitive if you do an internship after dental school or if you retake the CBSE and aim for a 70+?

About me:
I’m a D3 and didn’t do too well on my CBSE, my school is very heavy on clinic so study time is limited to whenever we don’t have patients or lectures. I don’t think my senior year schedule will allow me much time to study and improve my score, so I’m deciding whether it would be a good idea to take 6 months after graduating to study for the CBSE and improve my score for my next application cycle.

For all those with any helpful insight, thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

4yr -> Internship year, since CBSE is less important and many co-applicants to 4yr programs will have already completed an internship year
6yr -> CBSE, aim for 68+ since you wouldn't be competitive without a strong score in the first place