Better School Further Or Good School Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCUBA GIRL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure many of you have faced this decision or possibly will.... If you get into a top school out of state and a good school in your state (and you're pretty sure that you want to do residency in your state in the future) would you stay in state to the "good" school or would you go out of state to the "best school" and then come back and try to do residency?

the reason i ask is that i hear about the importance of networking with possible places for residency while you're in med school, so does remaining in the place where you want to do residency and work in the future lead you to stay around and not go to the better school?

thanks for your help and good advice, in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were in your position. I could care less whether I got accepted to a better school or not. THe question you have to ask yourself is: "Where would I be most happy at?" I would be happier going to the school in my own state.

Where to go to school is a personal question that can only be answered by you. However, I wouldn't decide based on where I might want to do my residency unless you're absolutely sure about the specific residency you want. You should consider where you will get the education that best suits your needs. In other words, which school is strong in your areas of interest. Then consider the fact that you will have an advantage getting into a residency that you have first rotated at. Whe you think about this, it makes sense. They want to know that you truly are interested in the field you are applying to and that you will be a hard worker. They have a much better idea of this if you rotated there than they do if you just interviewed. Most of the best residencies have large numbers of good prospects rotating through so the pool of applicants isn't much of an issue for them. They want to be sure that they know there getting a good recruit and this can only come from a recommendation from a person they trust or from seeing the recruit first hand.

Now that I've said all that, you should also consider that you can do visiting rotations at most residency sights so even if you go out of state you can likely rotate at the residency you're thinking about. And finally, keep in mind that I'm in my second year of school and most of my classmates still aren't sure what type of residency they'll apply to. Who can truly know this without experiencing several rotations? Hope this helps.

SCUBA GIRL said:
I'm sure many of you have faced this decision or possibly will.... If you get into a top school out of state and a good school in your state (and you're pretty sure that you want to do residency in your state in the future) would you stay in state to the "good" school or would you go out of state to the "best school" and then come back and try to do residency?

the reason i ask is that i hear about the importance of networking with possible places for residency while you're in med school, so does remaining in the place where you want to do residency and work in the future lead you to stay around and not go to the better school?

thanks for your help and good advice, in advance.

Scuba Girl, I'm going through the same dilema. Stay here, good school, close to family, g/f and friends, better network possibilities OR go out of state, better school, networking possibilities probably slim for home state. Grr!

Just keep weighing the pros and cons out..that's what I'm doing...I think that's all we could do. No one knows better than ourselves what means the most to us.... at least it's comforting to know that others have the same issue to deal with. :D