SCUBA GIRL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2004
Status
I'm sure many of you have faced this decision or possibly will.... If you get into a top school out of state and a good school in your state (and you're pretty sure that you want to do residency in your state in the future) would you stay in state to the "good" school or would you go out of state to the "best school" and then come back and try to do residency?

the reason i ask is that i hear about the importance of networking with possible places for residency while you're in med school, so does remaining in the place where you want to do residency and work in the future lead you to stay around and not go to the better school?

thanks for your help and good advice, in advance.

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
Encinitas, CA
Status
I think it's important to look at medical school as you would your first job at the start of your career. Sure, location does matter if that's where you're looking to be in the long wrong. But, just because you decide to "work" out of state for a while and enjoy a change of scenery doesn't mean that there will be any less jobs 4 years down the road than there would be if you stayed near by. Does that make sense? Basically, if you want to go to school out of state because you really enjoyed that school just go for it because if you're already set on spending the rest of your life in your home state you might as well explore while you can. There will be the same amount of residencies regardless of where you're coming from. Besides, what matters for residency is the quality of your letters of reference from your clerkships, and how you score on your boards. If the the out of state school has a better clinical reputation then your references are likely to be more than enough to get you back into your home state for residency.

Sorry if I talked in circles, I'm a little out of it this morning :)

vikaskoth

BrownWave
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
New Orleans, LA
Status
i've heard that most schools allow you to do away rotations during 3rd,4th year. If you wanna leave the state, you could try and do a rotation in your homestate so that they will be more familiar with you come the whole residency match process

PBMaxx

MS4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
vikaskoth said:
i've heard that most schools allow you to do away rotations during 3rd,4th year. If you wanna leave the state, you could try and do a rotation in your homestate so that they will be more familiar with you come the whole residency match process
Many schools even encourage away rotations, in order to ensure a good fit for residency.

Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Status
Like a previous poster said, what matters is board scores and clerkship letters. If you want to stay in state for your residency and eventually practice (same as what I want to do) then I personally would recommend to stay in state, just to develop connections and familiarity. However, if you go to the "best" school, then the residencies in your home state will look more favorably upon you, and you might even get your state's best residency (hopefully you get what I just said, I'm not sure that I do). Anyway, there are pros and cons, just weigh them and, in the end, go wherever you feel the most comfortable.

klubguts

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
the big D
Status
i would also keep in mind the cost of the schools (private vs. public). i choose to stay at a solid state school (total loans 75K in four years) versus going out of state to a more "well known" private school which would have cost me $200-300K...i don't think it has hurt my residency apps at all (will find out soon). i am interested in staying at my home program for residency training, and being here for med school has been helpful (that so called networking). As others have mentioned, it is largely your grades, board scores, and LORs that are important. However, if the people at the institution you want to do your residency at personally know your LOR writers, it is a BIG benefit. For that reason, being at a local/regional school can be helpful. if you perform well in med school, it is not going to make that much of a difference. just my opinion...best of luck.