SCUBA GIRL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2004
Status
I'm sure many of you have faced this decision or possibly will.... If you get into a top school out of state and a good school in your state (and you're pretty sure that you want to do residency in your state in the future) would you stay in state to the "good" school or would you go out of state to the "best school" and then come back and try to do residency?

the reason i ask is that i hear about the importance of networking with possible places for residency while you're in med school, so does remaining in the place where you want to do residency and work in the future lead you to stay around and not go to the better school?

thanks for your help and good advice, in advance.

efex101

attending
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2002
MN
Status
Attending Physician
Sure *if* you know for sure that you want to stay in your state to do your residency and you have been accepted to this school then it can help. You will be able to meet and network with key folks there.

erin682

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Hogwarts
Status
Attending Physician
Its definately useful to do rotations at the place you want to do a residency but a lot of schools allow you to do away rotations so even if you went out of state its likely that you could do a rotation back where you want to do your residency.

automaton

drone
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2004
assembly line
Status
well if it's between a place ranked... oh let's see, randomly throwing numbers out here, let's say 7... versus a place ranked... hmmm give me a minute... 32 for instance, i know what i would do.