Apr 14, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I know my chances are slim, but I'm going to apply. But here is the dilemma...

I'm sitting at about a 3.1 GPA overall, 32R MCAT (11, 9, 12), and tons of clinical exp., leadership, volunteering, and about a semester + (rest of undergrad including summer) of research with no pub yet.

Now my problem is that I will be taking approx 18 credits during the summer and they will (< 90% chance) be As. I think that would raise my GPA to about a 3.25. Still low I know, but do you think I would fare better applying out the door? Or applying in the middle/end of August (prob be verified sometime in Sept then so secondaries would all be done before October)?

Is it better to apply June 1st to be ready out the door or option 2?

Also, everyone here says "apply broadly", but looking through the MSAR, I obviously don't fit in with any school's average matriculation stats and, right now, I have about 8-9 schools on my list (including about 4 DO). Can/should I apply to more? Can anyone suggest a way to select these schools? I'm completely basing my decision on applying by low GPA (not as low as me, but def below 3.7 GPA matriculation), low MCAT, and those schools looking for service and research.

I'm not delusional so I know that beefing up the undergrad GPA and applying the next cycle is a much better option, but I'd rather take the risk of rejection than not trying at least.

As always, appreciate the comments and inputs! Good luck to all of those who are applying and will be. :luck:

Apr 14, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Did you have one bad year or semester, or have your grades been about the same all along? Any modifying factors we should know about, eg significant illness?
One year. Nothing I would like to use an excuse. An upward trend is apparent, but it's not as significant as others (maybe 2.5 to 3.5). I blame it on lack of enthusiasm for certain classes, but obviously that's not going to fly.

Thanks for the response.

Btw, you've responded to a ton of posts like these... Thank you so much for taking the time to do something like this! :thumbup:

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
apply the very first day and when you get your secondaries, write your essays within approximately 3 days and return them. If you can do it sooner, then that's better but of course don't lack in quality. Due to you gpa and mcat, you have to do everything possible to increase your chances...so apply as early as possible. If you apply late summer, chances are you will not even receive an interview. Good luck.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I know my chances are slim, but I'm going to apply. But here is the dilemma...

I'm sitting at about a 3.1 GPA overall, 32R MCAT (11, 9, 12), and tons of clinical exp., leadership, volunteering, and about a semester + (rest of undergrad including summer) of research with no pub yet.

Now my problem is that I will be taking approx 18 credits during the summer and they will (< 90% chance) be As. I think that would raise my GPA to about a 3.25. Still low I know, but do you think I would fare better applying out the door? Or applying in the middle/end of August (prob be verified sometime in Sept then so secondaries would all be done before October)?

Is it better to apply June 1st to be ready out the door or option 2?

Also, everyone here says "apply broadly", but looking through the MSAR, I obviously don't fit in with any school's average matriculation stats and, right now, I have about 8-9 schools on my list (including about 4 DO). Can/should I apply to more? Can anyone suggest a way to select these schools? I'm completely basing my decision on applying by low GPA (not as low as me, but def below 3.7 GPA matriculation), low MCAT, and those schools looking for service and research.

I'm not delusional so I know that beefing up the undergrad GPA and applying the next cycle is a much better option, but I'd rather take the risk of rejection than not trying at least.

As always, appreciate the comments and inputs! Good luck to all of those who are applying and will be. :luck:
If you can get that GPA to 3.2+ and with 32R MCAT, I think you have an excellent chance with these stats at DO schools. I am in the same situation with a 3.1 GPA and I am hoping to get like a 30+ MCAT on a retake

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Is your AACOMAS cGPA higher due to repeats (you probably know they only include the most recent grade if you retake a class)? What is your BCPM and sGPA?

Osteopathic med schoools tend to have a longer application season than allo, so I wouldn't have as much a concern if you applied after you finish the summer coursework. I would suggest applying to DO schools of variable selectivity though, since your stats are discordant.

To help pick schools: DO admission stat averages for specific schools: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=598056

For MD schools, in general when you have a subpar application stats-wise, applying early tends to helps you. But if you don't already have the steep upward trend that you plan to demonstrate this summer with your grades, it would be in your best interest to have those high grades on your transcript before you submit. But understand that being complete in October is really late and will hurt your chances. It's a tough call to make.

As you could well end up reapplying next year regardless of the strategy you choose, be sure to live the next year as if you know you'll need to reapply, continuing to boost yor grades and build your ECs. These activities will be good fodder for future update letters too, after fall grades come out.

Apr 14, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I acutally knew about the grade replacement thing with DO, but for some reason, I didn't bother calculating it. I do have one question though, if you got a lower grade after a retake (don't laugh, but it did happen), then does the higher one count? I somehow manage to do the impossible most of the time and I hope that continues in med school apps!

BCPM is about 2.9 or so and overall is 3.4ish. If I do it DO style and count only the highest grades, then I have about 3.4 GPA overall. So better, but not as nice as I would of liked it.

So it seems that while 0.15 GPA increase is significant, it's not worth anywhere close as applying as early as possible.

Again, thank you all so much!

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Unfortuanately, it is the most recent retake that counts, whether higher or lower grade. The other requirement is that the credit hours of the retake must be the same or greater in order to invoke replacement policy.

Apr 14, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
That's too bad...

Oh well. My university allows research to be taken as credit through the university and assigns letter grades for it as well. It would be considered an upper-division sci course.

My question is, does it count in your BCPM GPA or just overall GPA? Would the same apply for a thesis "class" that assigns letter grades?

(Again, thanks Catalystik)

Apr 14, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
It counts as MCB (molecular and cellular BIOLOGY). Is that close enough?