Better to Fail than get a C

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentists_are_us

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the Midwestern University Biomedical MA (AZ) program it is much better to fail a course than to receive a C. I wish my advisor had told me this information, but instead he told me that if I failed I could possibly be kicked out. I received a low test score on the 1st exam of a course, then worked hard on the next two and only ended up with a high C in the course. What I should have done was failed the course because my other classmates who were advised to fail and retake the course then received A's in the newly designed course that completely replaced their F. That allowed them to bump their GPA up over a 3.0, were granted interviews into the dental school and were then accepted ahead of several students that graduated with a high 2.85-2.95 GPA that were not allowed to retake classes all because their GPA simply said above a 3.0.

The system is flawed and I want people to make sure they know this information that advisors won't provide: It is better to fail than to work hard to receive a C, because you are allowed to completely retake the class.

Members don't see this ad.

Aren't you supposed to be acing SMP to prove yourself?

Reactions: 1 users
Are you joking? Retaking shouldn't even be an option when you are in a SMP. You are supposed to get A's and few B's in a SMP. You basically messed up your last chance to prove to adcoms that you can be medical/dental school material...

This is absolutely not the norm and more of a institutional policy. If you failed in the post-bacc program I did you simply wouldn't graduate from it.