Better to take molecular biology or biology of cancer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdawg0426

Reaction score
I have one semester left before I hopefully start medical school, and I need a 400 level biology class and lab. Would anyone either in medical school or graduated help me decide which will be most helpful in med school so I am not bombarded with 12 different topics at once? (1) Molecular biology and molecular biology lab (gel electrophoresis, and other stuff I've already done) or (1) Biology of Cancer and Microbiology lab are my two main options. If it helps, the prereq for molecular biology include biochemistry which I've taken, and the prereq for Biology of Cancer is Genetics which I've taken. Which would be more useful in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Take the easiest one so you can destress and start med school fresh

Reactions: 6 users
Doesn't really matter as long as you've fulfilled your other med school requirements. Do the one you're more interested in. If you're not interested in the topic, it can become a long grind whereas if you're interested, the time spent studying seems to fly by.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Having a good foundation in mol bio helped me a lot in the first month or so of classes so far. Either way you WILL still be bombarded with many many topics at once but you'll learn to deal with it. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Molecular biology.
(If the difficulty/workload between the two courses are comparable)

While filling out pre-reqs for secondary applications, I remember seeing some schools asking whether I had taken a course in (Genetics / Molecular Biology).
Probably not a strict requirement but I think it would be more useful than cancer biology (still a very interesting topic nonethless)

You know what they say: "mo bio, mo fun!" Actually, nobody says this, but I really enjoyed molecular bio.

I took 2 semesters of cancer biology my senior year and they were my favorite classes in college! Just take what you think you'll enjoy the most!

ichthyology
A260381B-DC56-40CF-929D-4E2EFC573827.jpeg

• Haha
Take the one that's easier/has an easier prof. Molecular bio was helpful for MCAT purposes but I'm assuming you must have already gotten that out of the way.