Better way to boost GPA...retakes vs. new classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OLYWA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the previous answer(s). Now looking for some opinions.

I have GPA problems...and am looking at the best methods to rectify them. Here's the deal.

I'm a non-trad...got a BS (Paramedics) in 95...10 years as a practicing Paramedic with a DO medical program director who fortunately loves me...and is ecstatic with the idea that I want to go to med. I think he's thinkin he'll have a sure person to take over his practice in about 10 years. Has offered to make calls, write letters, pull strings, etc.

Undergrad GPA = CRAP. about 2.6. Went back and did all my prereqs...with a crummy GPA. Ya...crummy. About a 2.9 in my post-bac...not good...BUT! My post-bac was completed while working 60+ hour weeks AND attending a school 50 miles from my home. SO...ya...my GPA is crap...but I can definitely testify to working MUCH HARDER than many of my colleagues that got their (I lived on campus and the parents paid) 3.5.

Conventional wisdom would say that if I can just get an interview...I'll be fine. But that's the problem...my stats (MCAT of 22...and why??? I simply cannot explain that one...almost puked) probably won't get me an interview. So, I'm trying to inflate my GPA to at least the level that they'll interview...so I can plead my case.

I essentially have 2 choices...go back and re-take a couple classes from 10 years ago (this would bring me about 3.0) OR I can simply take (this year) a bunch of Bio 101 and Chem 101 and the like. Totally useless I know...but it will elevate me BCPM...which is what I need @ this point. And ya...I do have the year...as I'm guessin to be passed over this go-round.

Anyways...will definitely discuss this with my DO boss...but lookin for any opinions anyone would offer on the topic.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

OLYWA said:
Thanks for the previous answer(s). Now looking for some opinions.

I have GPA problems...and am looking at the best methods to rectify them. Here's the deal.

I'm a non-trad...got a BS (Paramedics) in 95...10 years as a practicing Paramedic with a DO medical program director who fortunately loves me...and is ecstatic with the idea that I want to go to med. I think he's thinkin he'll have a sure person to take over his practice in about 10 years. Has offered to make calls, write letters, pull strings, etc.

Undergrad GPA = CRAP. about 2.6. Went back and did all my prereqs...with a crummy GPA. Ya...crummy. About a 2.9 in my post-bac...not good...BUT! My post-bac was completed while working 60+ hour weeks AND attending a school 50 miles from my home. SO...ya...my GPA is crap...but I can definitely testify to working MUCH HARDER than many of my colleagues that got their (I lived on campus and the parents paid) 3.5.

Conventional wisdom would say that if I can just get an interview...I'll be fine. But that's the problem...my stats (MCAT of 22...and why??? I simply cannot explain that one...almost puked) probably won't get me an interview. So, I'm trying to inflate my GPA to at least the level that they'll interview...so I can plead my case.

I essentially have 2 choices...go back and re-take a couple classes from 10 years ago (this would bring me about 3.0) OR I can simply take (this year) a bunch of Bio 101 and Chem 101 and the like. Totally useless I know...but it will elevate me BCPM...which is what I need @ this point. And ya...I do have the year...as I'm guessin to be passed over this go-round.

Anyways...will definitely discuss this with my DO boss...but lookin for any opinions anyone would offer on the topic.

Thanks

You must get that GPA up and over 3.0. Retake classes that you got C+'s or below in starting with the prereqs. Since AACOMAS have the forgiveness policy you can boost your GPA quickly. I had a 2.5 GPA and with 34 credits (retakes and new classes) it went to a 3.2. As for your science GPA, math is not included for DO schools

Retake your MCAT. Study hard from now to the April MCAT and score well. I scored a whoppin 21 on my MCAT, but this Saturday I'm taking it again. I hope to score 28+.

Nevertheless with my new GPA of 3.2 and old MCAT of 21, I've recieved interview invites. So it is possible, but requires hard work. You director should be very helpful if he writes a letter for you. With all this done, apply EARLY next year. The first day you can send your primary to AACOMAS, do it. The first day you get your secondaries, do them. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
timmah2k said:
You must get that GPA up and over 3.0. Retake classes that you got C+'s or below in starting with the prereqs. Since AACOMAS have the forgiveness policy you can boost your GPA quickly. I had a 2.5 GPA and with 34 credits (retakes and new classes) it went to a 3.2. As for your science GPA, math is not included for DO schools

Retake your MCAT. Study hard from now to the April MCAT and score well. I scored a whoppin 21 on my MCAT, but this Saturday I'm taking it again. I hope to score 28+.

Nevertheless with my new GPA of 3.2 and old MCAT of 21, I've recieved interview invites. So it is possible, but requires hard work. You director should be very helpful if he writes a letter for you. With all this done, apply EARLY next year. The first day you can send your primary to AACOMAS, do it. The first day you get your secondaries, do them. Hope this helps.
Im glad to see people have a large increase in GPA is gives hope to people like myself who have a 2.85 and a handfull of c's in some biz classes. Everytime I try to calculate what would happen when i retake a class its a tad frustrating since I dont see a big jump but its nice to see someone achieve substantial improvement.

don't worry so much about the GPA. focus on retaking classes you messed up in back in 95, if you can, take a few online courses or courses closer to home so it's easier to do well. getting ur gpa over a 3.0 would be great. but i bet if you applied with a 2.8 science or so,and boosted that MCAT a few points, youd still see some interviews.

I was in the same dilema.

I went to the FAQ in this section and got a GPA calculator. I filled out and ran a bunch of numbers through it.
I found the fastest way to boost my GPA was by retakes. I am retaking three classes and taking two new ones.

My science GPA will go up .6 points if I score all A's.
.53 with 5 A's and 1 B.

good luck!