• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

alimarie81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Chicago, South Loop
Status (Visible)
Hello,
I am MS3 interested in addictions, and am trying to decide if I should pursue psychiatry for residency. I am applying to the Betty Ford summer institute for medical students- you spend 1 week in either outpatient, inpatient, or family program learning about the process. Has anyone been accepted and participated in this program? Any suggestions on a successful application? I have some experience at Hazelden (Chicago) on one of my rotations. Thanks!!

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Left of Center
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hello,
I am MS3 interested in addictions, and am trying to decide if I should pursue psychiatry for residency. I am applying to the Betty Ford summer institute for medical students- you spend 1 week in either outpatient, inpatient, or family program learning about the process. Has anyone been accepted and participated in this program? Any suggestions on a successful application? I have some experience at Hazelden (Chicago) on one of my rotations. Thanks!!

As far as the application goes, I would imagine that a reference from someone you worked with at Hazelden might help. I don't have any more info than that, though.

Be aware too, that there is still a bit of a philosophical split between the Betty Fords and Hazeldens of the world and psychiatry in general. It's better than it used to be, but some of these established centers have some long institutional memories for when psychiatrists were seen as the problem (prescribing benzos for depression, etc.) rather than part of the solution.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.