Betty Ford summer institute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alimarie81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am MS3 interested in addictions, and am trying to decide if I should pursue psychiatry for residency. I am applying to the Betty Ford summer institute for medical students- you spend 1 week in either outpatient, inpatient, or family program learning about the process. Has anyone been accepted and participated in this program? Any suggestions on a successful application? I have some experience at Hazelden (Chicago) on one of my rotations. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am MS3 interested in addictions, and am trying to decide if I should pursue psychiatry for residency. I am applying to the Betty Ford summer institute for medical students- you spend 1 week in either outpatient, inpatient, or family program learning about the process. Has anyone been accepted and participated in this program? Any suggestions on a successful application? I have some experience at Hazelden (Chicago) on one of my rotations. Thanks!!

As far as the application goes, I would imagine that a reference from someone you worked with at Hazelden might help. I don't have any more info than that, though.

Be aware too, that there is still a bit of a philosophical split between the Betty Fords and Hazeldens of the world and psychiatry in general. It's better than it used to be, but some of these established centers have some long institutional memories for when psychiatrists were seen as the problem (prescribing benzos for depression, etc.) rather than part of the solution.