1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

between a rock and a hard place

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by ChiTownGrrrl, Jun 19, 2002.

1. ChiTownGrrrl

ChiTownGrrrl New Member

my scores are thus: 10V/8P/10B = 28M
    GPA 3.6 Cum/3.4 Sci . . . BUT I have more lab experience than many (incl. a summer at UCSF).
    it's a long shot for MSTP, so what's the best I can do?
    U. of Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota.
    Should I even bother with U. of SoCal, Case Western,U of Wash.,UW Madison,SUNYSt.Brook, Tufts?
    My goal is to get into the BEST NEUROSCIENCE program possible, given the above tragedy . . .
    :rolleyes:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sluox

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    you might want to retake the MCAT. Are you an URM? if you were, your chances are much better. As far as the selection of schools goes, I think it's fine.

Now as far as research exp., I've talked to a few MSTP candidates, they all seemed to have really great ones (i.e. 3 yrs at Mass Gen, 3 yrs at NIH etc etc) so watch out for that one too :p I'm just really really impressed by the caliber of kids on this board.

4. jot

jot

yeah ****e, there are some really freakin smart kids here. kind of nuts.

i know very little about mstp admissions (doing it now myself), but it seems like they have some "threshold" (according to someone else) cutoff and then its all about research. thought the mcat seems a little low, the other stuff would siffice if you could back it up. someone said that the higher mstp averages etc... could be due to self selection, so i wouldn't discount yourself.
    -jot

5. atsai3

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    ChiTownGrrrl,

Don't sell yourself so short. Your MCAT is on the low end for MSTP, and might cause you to drop below the radar for some cutoffs -- so if you think you can hit a 32-33 then you might consider retaking it. (But one of my classmates got into Hopkins regular-MD with a 28...) Depending on the quality of your research experiences to date, your application could still be pretty competitive. With medical school applications, "you never know", so if the application fees aren't a financial burden for you -- I say go ahead and apply to a few more MSTP programs, even ones you consider a reach.

Cheers
    -a.