Between majors and really not sure what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WendyW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just another one of those "What should I major in?!" posts. I've given this a LOT of thought and I'm still unsure.

I'm between Economics and South Asian Studies.

Basically, I would major in economics so that I would have post grad opportunities and have lots of opportunities during the school year as well but IT'S SO HARD. It's bringing my GPA down by so much. I took Econ 101 and 102 and only got a B and a B-. Because of the workload between Econ and BCPM, I wasn't able to do well last semester.

South Asian Studies is something I am interested in and the classes are just easy As for me. Plus, majoring in this would give me tons of free time to study for other classes (BCPM), get a job, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, majoring in South Asian Studies would give me more chances to take random classes.

Definitely South Asian Studies. Ruining your gpa for an Econ major isn't worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say south Asian studies then, if that is were your heart is.

Major in whatever you want. It really doesn't matter for med school admissions

Major in what you're interested in or would like to learn about. I'm majoring in bid'ness so that I know what the hell I'm doing when I'm the head of a department in some hospital 10-20 years down the road. Obviously, you don't need to traverse the same road. Do what feels right.

Go for the fun one. A college degree is useless no matter what your major was, don't worry about it.

Also, is your username short for Wendy Wheelchair from Curb Your Enthusiasm? That'd be awesome.

what kind of job can you get in south asian studies? What if you don't get into medical school right away (if at all - not to be a downer), but it would be better to major in something that has actual job prospects just in case you have to take a few gap years

Study what you enjoy; you will perform better if you like what you are studying, it will yield higher grades, and you have better prospects for medical school that way! Do make sure you dominate your BCMP classes though.

:)

go for the highest gpa you can achieve
upper level econ courses use the same principles as those from the introductory classes. if you struggled in the beginning, you will continue to struggle.

Also, majoring in South Asian Studies would give me more chances to take random classes.

Would those random classes include upper level science classes?

I ask because if you just take Asian studies, the prerequisites, and a bunch of nothing classes, your transcript will not look impressive even with a high GPA.

Asian studies is not a commonly offered major. I just checked a bunch of schools, and aside from my own school(we have a massive amount of degree programs, so it is unfair to use us as an example of a common school), only one school even had an Asian studies program, and that was for a certificate, not a degree. Even at my school it is hardly a major, it is meant to be a second major for someone in a real major.