BF Broke up with me because I applied to med school....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm with the Bman on this one. Make it clean. Move on

Goro is a beautiful paradox. He won't stand for elitism but condescends to we little people every other post
A paradox indeed. Not to get off-topic but I'm finishing up chemotherapy treatment and Goro basically told me "the Mcat will kill you...your quantitative and reasoning skills are sub-par..you're an idiot..." after posting a discussion about the high cost of med. school and government involvement. He seems to be very helpful to pre-meds but has a nasty streak as well. Anyway OP I hope things work out and I know they will. **** happens, if he has different priorities than you it is what it is, and you have alot of life left to live and opportunities to discover.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A paradox indeed. Not to get off-topic but I'm finishing up chemotherapy treatment and Goro basically told me "the Mcat will kill you...your quantitative and reasoning skills are sub-par..you're an idiot..." after posting a discussion about the high cost of med. school and government involvement. He seems to be very helpful to pre-meds but have a nasty streak as well..
Please. We all know you're a troll.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A paradox indeed. Not to get off-topic but I'm finishing up chemotherapy treatment and Goro basically told me "the Mcat will kill you...your quantitative and reasoning skills are sub-par..you're an idiot..." after posting a discussion about the high cost of med. school and government involvement. He seems to be very helpful to pre-meds but has a nasty streak as well. Anyway OP I hope things work out and I know they will. **** happens, if he has different priorities than you it is what it is, and you have alot of life left to live and opportunities to discover.
I don't think he's ever really nasty, he just likes to think of himself as a no-nonsense hardass. He made some comment to me about my reading comprehension not boding well for Verbal, but I did fine. Don't take it too seriously. Ironically enough, getting a mediocre MCAT would make for decent odds of bringing you two together

Please. We all know you're a troll.
The hodgkin's lymphoma I have must be fake too.
agJIP.gif

Wow! Thanks sooo much for all the support!!! It really means a lot to me! Especially coming from people that are in the same path as me. I am so sorry for all of you who had something similar happen to them. It really sucks!

At one point he asked me what had higher priority on my list, him or medical school. I said medical school, and I guess that was it for us... I've tried talking to him again but he just keeps saying that he doesn't want to talk over the week because he is tired from work. This means that until Saturday I can't talk to him, yet we are still living together!! I am grateful that this happened before I started medical school, I don't know how I would have dealt with it then!

How many other excuses are you going to find for writing that ****ty thread? First you had a long day. Then you didn't get enough sleep. Now you have lymphoma.

lol sure. For a troll, you're not very witty.

Goro doesn't have a nasty streak, he just keeps it real. If he tells someone something they don't want hear then they get pissed off at him. Not his fault he tells facts and figures.

Reactions: 8 users
Search Again
Page 1 of 2
12Next >
  1. upload_2015-6-12_8-23-15.png
    Post by: guest794, Today at 1:11 AM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  2. upload_2015-6-12_8-23-15.png
    A paradox indeed. Not to get off-topic but I'm finishing up chemotherapy treatment and Goro basically told me "the Mcat will kill you...your...
    Post by: guest794, Today at 1:01 AM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  3. upload_2015-6-12_8-23-15.png
    Let her have her grieving process. A bit reactive and insensitive to OP considering it's difficult to move on from 6-year relationships to a new...
    Post by: guest794, Today at 12:32 AM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  4. upload_2015-6-12_8-23-15.png
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Post by: guest794, Yesterday at 10:52 PM in forum: Allopathic
  5. upload_2015-6-12_8-23-15.png
    Don't dare disagree someone with degrees and status you will never attain, peasant.
    Post by: guest794, Yesterday at 10:50 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  6. upload_2015-6-12_8-23-15.png
    You must have it all figured out then? Or you lie stroking your ego without making a single valid argument. Speaks volumes of your character tbh....
    Post by: guest794, Yesterday at 10:42 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  7. Post
    Boycott Med school until tuition lowers?
    We can speak directly if you like or you can keep referring to me in the third person. If you think the US government doesn't have misplaced budget...
    Post by: guest794, Yesterday at 10:37 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  8. Post
    Good argument.
    Post by: guest794, Yesterday at 10:34 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  9. Post
    A huge tax burden? Screw your head on straight. What do we in America pay for? We have an absolutely massive debt from endless senseless wars, the...
    Post by: guest794, Yesterday at 10:32 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  10. Post
    How the hell are med. schools operating at a loss when the average tuition cost keeps getting higher and higher? That is incomprehensible to me....
    Post by: guest794, Yesterday at 10:18 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  11. Post
    Am I forbidden from talking about education tuition? Is education not a service that you get what you pay for, and considering an average of 200k...
    Post by: guest794, Yesterday at 10:12 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  12. Post
    Again, the reason you seem to have your panties in a wad is because you're a Phd at a med. school and it's in your best interest to turn med....
    Post by: guest794, Yesterday at 10:07 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  13. Post
    Some of the physicians I've shadowed have kids in med. school and they talk about how ridiculously expensive their med. student tuition is without...
    Post by: guest794, Yesterday at 10:05 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  14. Post
    Cheap comment. You have no idea what my gpa is and if it was that low I wouldn't be considering med. school at this point.
    Post by: guest794, Yesterday at 10:04 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  15. Post
    Thank you for your contribution and generalization, appreciate it.
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 9:11 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  16. Post
    I'm all ears.
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 9:08 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  17. Post
    Whoops, your superior Phd reasoning skills are shining through again! :) I've said many times I'm not in it for the money and other jobs have saner...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 8:56 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  18. Post
    Plumbers make a killing too.
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 8:50 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  19. Post
    It's fairly obvious there are better ways of making money than going to med. school. Thank you for your contribution.
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 8:44 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  20. Post
    I did write a mess of a thread hence my lack of sleep, am taking anatomy/physiology this summer and recovering from this afternoons test. I stand by...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 8:32 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  21. Post
    Oh really?
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 8:28 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  22. Post
    Not really considering the time limitations when vet students basically learn large animals, small animals, exotics, etc. (but humans) in 4 years, do...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 8:23 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  23. Post
    Well my brother was in vet. school and sometimes he slept there and was easily studying/in school 80 hours a week. Assumed med. school was on par. I...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 8:19 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  24. Post
    Like I said, had a long day today and didn't get much sleep. I assumed you were pointing out a specific thread from the discussion instead of...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 8:17 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  25. Post
    Didn't catch the critical thinking part. Alright, here's the sentence What confuses you? Let's break it down and see if it's still a sweet gig (or...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 8:12 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  26. Post
    Oh was it the run-on sentence? I apologize for not having perfect grammar on the internet. Tough crowd!
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 8:09 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  27. Post
    To clarify then: med school will take 4 years of your life, specifically 80 hours a week in school activity, 48 weeks a year or 15,360 hours total....
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 8:02 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  28. Post
    The Real SVBs mistake not mine :) "80 hours ayeaMed. school: 4 years 80/hours a week or 15,360 hours. "
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 7:51 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  29. Post
    " [insert faulty analysis including, but not limited to, assuming that medical school requires an average workload of 80 hours a year with the...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 7:45 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  30. Post
    Let's break it down and see if it's still a sweet gig (or why it's not financially worth it and you should only be a doctor if it's your only passion...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 4:32 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  31. Post
    I'm seeing a 200k loan with 7% interest.
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 3:58 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  32. Post
    It's useful of you to think I'm wasting my time on something you just admitted you know nothing about. And you're right, it makes no sense to...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 1:00 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  33. Post
    Right, this might work if the Real SVB can actually present Mettler's argument without name-dropping a random "expert" to disprove a subjective...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 12:53 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  34. Post
    I said I was interested in the reading the book. That doesn't mean I can't form an opinion about why my education costs so much when I've taken out...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 12:41 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  35. Post
    Erm. Care to elucidate us on what Matter's opinion is if you're so well-educated on the subject? Or are you happy chastising us with your appeal to...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 12:34 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  36. Post
    we're interested in this stuff because it directly effects our lives. Nothing wrong with questioning the status quo or your doctor related future on...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 12:21 PM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  37. Post
    Fair enough except.... -Why did med. school used to cost so much less than it does today, is the education that much more expensive? Did we buy...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 11:57 AM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  38. Post
    1. Vet. school is relevant because it shows there is a growing trend among educators gouging students with debt in professional schools and...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 11:32 AM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  39. Post
    My brother had a similar mindset except he became a veterinarian. Vet schools are just as hard to get in as med. school, extremely competitive and...
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 11:09 AM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
  40. Post
    These options aren't feasible for the majority of people. It's not as easy as you make it sound.
    Post by: guest794, Wednesday at 10:46 AM in forum: Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]
Showing results 1 to 40 of 66Next >

Poor thing is just a misfit troll.....,

OP, I'm sorry you have to deal with this during an already stressful time. I know it's hard to see right now, but you totally dodged a bullet here. You WILL find someone who thinks what you are doing is amazing and actually wants to help you succeed. For now, remember that you were awesome long before he was around, and you'll continue being awesome without him. Lean on your friends and family for app cycle support, remember why you are doing this, and go kick some ass!
Khaleesi?????

Sorry, I had to.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow! Thanks sooo much for all the support!!! It really means a lot to me! Especially coming from people that are in the same path as me. I am so sorry for all of you who had something similar happen to them. It really sucks!

At one point he asked me what had higher priority on my list, him or medical school. I said medical school, and I guess that was it for us... I've tried talking to him again but he just keeps saying that he doesn't want to talk over the week because he is tired from work. This means that until Saturday I can't talk to him, yet we are still living together!! I am grateful that this happened before I started medical school, I don't know how I would have dealt with it then!

Better now than while you're in med school during which you'll have a lot more on your plate. You deserve someone who understands what you will be going through or at least someone who will be there to support you rather than crave your attention. It sucks now, but this is better for you in the long run :)

The undergrad who had no problem getting a boyfriend will soon be a doctor who will have no problem getting a boyfriend... I'll repeat, good riddance

Reactions: 1 users
How many other excuses are you going to find for writing that ****ty thread? First you had a long day. Then you didn't get enough sleep. Now you have lymphoma.

lol sure. For a troll, you're not very witty.

Wow. Care to get any more off-topic? A few of you gang up on me like a horde of smug cultish Cthulu worshippers . Could you add to your repertoire of petty personal insults please? It's an excuse I was tired yesterday and have lymphoma. Sure. That must be so outside the realm of possibility for your brilliant mind to comprehend. It's a fact, deal with it.

Edit: You're right, Goro doesn't have a nasty streak, you do.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Goro doesn't have a nasty streak, he just keeps it real. If he tells someone something they don't want hear then they get pissed off at him. Not his fault he tells facts and figures.
Hahahaha. I dealt with facts and figures of the excessive cost of med. school and Goro didn't dispute a single figure. He made emotional attacks on my character without disputing a single argument. Yeah he's a great guy.

Teaching moment: A person who make your career choices "either/or" has serious self-esteem and neediness issues. In relationships, we make sacrifices for each other. It's a two-way street, and they're not suicide pacts either.

I've heard of the term "chemo fog" before, but have never seem it in action. I and others weren't faulting your figures, just your faulty logic processes. My sympathies for your illness; I've had several students survive HL. So fight the good fight (but quit making ******* posts!)

Hahahaha. I dealt with facts and figures of the excessive cost of med. school and Goro didn't dispute a single figure. He made emotional attacks on my character without disputing a single argument. Yeah he's a great guy.

Reactions: 5 users
Teaching moment: A person who make your career choices "either/or" has serious self-esteem and neediness issues. In relationships, we make sacrifices for each other. It's a two-way street, and they're not suicide pacts either.

Agree completely. Thank you for staying on topic and not de-railing OPs post.

Edit: Thanks for the sentiment and good for them for making it through. I stand by my former points, however, that US med schools cost too much, the federal student loan interest rate at 7% is too high, and that someone "just in it for the money" without a passion for medicine should consider an alternative career (which isn't me by the way)

Last edited:
bae caught me applying to med school

Reactions: 3 users
Caught me studying for the MCATS....wasn't me
Saw me at the library.....wasn't me
I even even filled out the AMCAS...wasn't me

Reactions: 12 users
For a relationship to survive the rigors of medical school and residency -- and for that matter, to survive a demanding career like medicine, both partners need to be tolerant of conflicting demands and supportive of each other's ambitions. Without those qualities, the relationship is quite simply, doomed. A BF who isn't willing to 'take the back seat' for a few years now is not going to be willing to be the 'supportive spouse' down the road.

There are plenty of guys out there who will be happy to be that supportive partner, either because they're that busy and successful themselves and don't want a 'cling-on' partner, or because they're happy and proud to be with someone as successful and productive as the OP will be.

Until you find that guy, don't be content with less.

Reactions: 2 users
@DokterMom I always hear Violet Crawley's voice as I read your posts.

"Is this an instrument of communication or torture?" = SDN

Reactions: 3 users
Just remember kids, your career is never going to wake up one morning and tell you it doesn't love you anymore.

Reactions: 6 users
Just remember kids, your career is never going to wake up one morning and tell you it doesn't love you anymore.
Yes but if you tell it "I still love you, I just don't like you right now," it may love you back eventually. (My mom tells me this a lot haha!)

OP,

I was in a similar situation except it was with my former friend. We had a mutual pre-med friend who is also a premed. Unfortunately, the mutual friend is a bit of a cutthroat/cookie cutter premed and honestly thought I would steal her medical school spot. Eventually, my "friend" was confident our mutual friend would "be the doctor" and told me she no longer wanted any association with me - she did the same with other mutual friends. Yet, given what I've heard on the street... I seem to have the edge...;)

To quote my high-school teacher, OP: friends - and in this case Boyfriends/girlfriends - are like money; they come and go outta yo' wallet...

...and haters gon' hate....

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing he's doing it now... It wouldne have worked out. Med school probably take more of your time and you would've broken up then anyways.

I feel for the OP, but I also disagree with this. I think the guy in question did absolutely the right thing. He didn't give her an ultimatum, he didn't stand in her way of doing what she wanted. He just saw what the relationship was becoming and decided it wasn't for him. Honestly, I probably would have done the same thing.

"Support at all costs" is what you do after you get married. When you're dating, you need to carefully consider if the relationship is how you want to live forever. Obviously he didn't.

I don't think there's a bad guy in this story. It's just sad things didn't work out after having been together so long.

What a cop-out, insensitive to OP too. They were dating for 6 years and his priorities are all that matter? He can walk away that easy? Is it asking too much to make some sacrifices for your girlfriend who wants to be a doctor and do what she loves? As Goro said that needy of an individual with such fragile self-esteem needs to re-evaluate his priorities. It's a two-way street, not all about one person even if they aren't married.

I don't know Tired; I see the guy as saying to OP "It's me or Medicine". I don't think it has to be that way.

I feel for the OP, but I also disagree with this. I think the guy in question did absolutely the right thing. He didn't give her an ultimatum, he didn't stand in her way of doing what she wanted. He just saw what the relationship was becoming and decided it wasn't for him. Honestly, I probably would have done the same thing.

"Support at all costs" is what you do after you get married. When you're dating, you need to carefully consider if the relationship is how you want to live forever. Obviously he didn't.

I don't think there's a bad guy in this story. It's just sad things didn't work out after having been together so long.

Honestly, I read it as either 1. a cover up for why he actually wanted to break up or 2. a manipulative action to get her to sacrifice her dreams for him.

Who asks you to choose between them and medicine? In my current relationship, my s/o knows that if he asked me that question that I would have the same response as the OP. A healthy relationship doesn't involve choosing between things that make you happy, it's about balancing them.

In the words of Tupac, "leave the pieces on the floor and move the **** on".

are you saying that you were considering to bow down to his expectations? Honey, get yourself a damn good education and you'll find a better husband. A friend of mine was able to find a job after her boyfriend said their relationship would end if she chose another job that didn't work with their schedule. While the present job is great pay, she forfeited a lesser paying job that in comparison though could have given her higher skills. Maybe right now it seems like her boyfriend directed her the right way, but that is just one instance. You extrapolate this to the future with many decisions based off of his own mental decisions, and he'll start assuming he created you. You are at that age where compromise doesn't mean he makes the bigger decisions for you; it's more like you start off with small compromises and then you think about the bigger compromises like when you have kids and all. One thing I have learned from my experience is don't let a man decide his woman's occupation. The more control you give him, the more you will blame him in the future. Do you want him and yourself to feel bad? After all, the most anyone will be hurt is you. You have been preparing for medicine longer than he has spent time with you probably. Anyhow, atleast he was upfront. I don't think this comes off as a problem if you put the female the antagonist here because they usually compromise; no wonder every blog of a male student doctor speaks highly about their non-medical wife who is able to support them and do their chores while they study.

Hi everyone, I applied this cycle to medical schools and to my surprise my boyfriend of 6 years broke up with me (he has known for 6 years med school was my dream). According to him, he doesn't think he will be able to handle me going to medical school... We currently live together, and apparently my MCAT studying has made him realize that he won't be happy while I am studying all the time. I keep telling myself that this is for the best, but I just don't know how to process this and not let it affect all the work there is still to be done for the secondaries :(
My friend says families are the graveyard of dreams. I think this is another example of that. Good job escaping the graveyard.

Things happen for a reason. The reason this happened is because a much much better man is about to come into your life and you need to make room for him.

Guy probably still walked around wearing two polo shirts with both collars popped And was like "Bae I'm a marketing major. I can make like tons of money. Who's gonna make my creatine shakes when you're studying? I thought you were joking about med school. A girl can't be, like, a doctor. Chicks can only be nurses and ****. I can't deal. It's over. Im taking my kegerator, my ninja blender, and my GNC supplements and moving into my moms basement.

Last edited:
Guy probably still walked around wearing two polo shirts with both collars popped And was like "Bae I'm a marketing major. I can make like tons of money. Who's gonna make my creatine shakes when you're studying? I thought you were joking about med school. A girl can't be, like, a doctor. Chicks can only be nurses and ****. I can't deal. It's over. Im taking my kegerator, my ninja blender, and my GNC supplements and moving into my moms basement.

say what you will about the guy, but leave my bro-style out of this.

My boyfriend and I had just moved in together as I began studying for my MCAT a few years back. We had been together for 4 years. He bailed about a month after we had signed the lease. Now he's married to a lawyer (who used to be my close friend). Bleh. It was devastating, but I am so glad he didn't wait longer and try to make it work. We are extremely dedicated to our path and our dreams, and that's not the right life for everyone. Since then had the most incredible experiences traveling, and figuring out what makes me happy. I highly recommend a weekend away with some close friends.......and some tequila probably wouldn't hurt.

Better now than later down the line, OP. There are superior specimen out there. Happy pickings.

Sometimes it's actually a very good thing when someone who won't accept you fully cuts themselves out of your life. It saves you the trouble. You deserve someone who's going to be supportive of your dreams. If that's not him, you are smart enough to be applying to medical school; you will be able to find someone who is.

Better now than when you are in school!

Hmmmm...it appears that satisfying "smack" you heard in the background was the banhammer nailing the Batman, and deservedly so! Moderators, you have our thanks.
Word of caution:

if you don't want to be banned, don't send certain Admins creepy PMs claiming you are analyzing them.

wut

Explain plz! :shifty:
Ive said too much already.

Let's just say he wasn't happy about being put on PH and decided to appeal to me. That appeal took a weird turn with questions about my marital status and then claims that I was lying when I said was happy being single and that segued into his claims that he was analyzing me and other creepy things.

It didn't help his appeal.