BG Check/Drug Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrZhivago49

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reading other pre-allo posts it has come to my attention that some schools do background checks. Additionally, a friend of mine said that his DO school required a drug test.

I am curious if anyone knows if both of these checks are standard?

Personally, it does not matter, but I was impressed to learn of the measures that schools take before admitting a student!

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm, I would also like to know the answer to this. I have this friend who occasionally tokes who is about to start med school..

hmmm, I would also like to know the answer to this. I have this friend who occasionally tokes who is about to start med school..

oh you have a friend, do you?:p

Members don't see this ad :)
BG check pretty standard. It's more b/c the clinical sites you go to can't employ criminals, so the school can't admit someone they can't send to a hospital.

Reading other pre-allo posts it has come to my attention that some schools do background checks. Additionally, a friend of mine said that his DO school required a drug test.

I am curious if anyone knows if both of these checks are standard?

Personally, it does not matter, but I was impressed to learn of the measures that schools take before admitting a student!

Personally, if I was a school administrator about to enroll someone who will have direct access to patients, medications, and the like I would want to know if they had a propensity to use the harder drugs and also if they had any violent crimes in their past record both from a potential liability standpt (as we're beginning to see with the Virginia Tech tragedy) and as an issue of morality in the case of more egregious violations that would show up in a background check. Pot I'm not sure I would care about so much (since I've known people who do pot that seem perfectly "normal" and caring) and because it's not in the same league as the addicting, hallucinogenic, or otherwise "scary" drugs such as PCP and cocaine.

does it matter that i'll be smoking legally outside of North America before I matriculate? it will still show up on a test but there's no way i'd get in trouble at the place i'll be visiting.

does it matter that i'll be smoking legally outside of North America before I matriculate? it will still show up on a test but there's no way i'd get in trouble at the place i'll be visiting.

I'd check into ways to get it out of your system that are legitimate/do it with enough time to where it's out of your system by the time you have to offer that urine test just in case.

Personally, if I was a school administrator about to enroll someone who will have direct access to patients, medications, and the like I would want to know if they had a propensity to use the harder drugs and also if they had any violent crimes in their past record both from a potential liability standpt (as we're beginning to see with the Virginia Tech tragedy) and as an issue of morality in the case of more egregious violations that would show up in a background check. Pot I'm not sure I would care about so much (since I've known people who do pot that seem perfectly "normal" and caring) and because it's not in the same league as the addicting, hallucinogenic, or otherwise "scary" drugs such as PCP and cocaine.

except that opiate and coca based drugs aren't lipid soluble and only show up on a tox screen if you've done them within 2-3 days of test. LSD is only detectable with a LP I think?

OP I think at MD med schools tox screens are the exception more than the rule, and they'll have to let you know so if you need to you can abstain, drink water, and exercise/sweat/burn fat to remove all toxins from your body

Lol... Amesterdam? Have fun! (so jealous). :D

But yeah, like stiffany said, you're going to want to make sure that you can pass a drug test once you get back in the states. Even if you have plane tickets to the country in question, a positive test is still going to inevitably be a paperwork and bureaucratic nightmare. :rolleyes: They might very well decide to require you to attend substance abuse classes and do follow-up drug testing just to cover their own a$$es from a liability and legal point of view. :scared:

Bottom line: don't be stupid about this. Can you move your vacation further up in the calendar so that your system will be all flushed by the time it's drug-testing time?

If your school requires you to pass a drug test, you have to pass the drug test. There are no exceptions for folks who smoked outside the country where it was legal. If you are accepted to a school that tests, you are gonna have to abstain for however long it takes to test clean. A small price to pay for a career. This isn't a presidency, it's med school.:)

If you're referring to Amsterdam (just a wild guess), it's technically illegal there too - the law just isn't enforced.

i don't want to specify the place (i want to stay anonymous on sdn) but it's in a third world country.

i'm not too concerned about a possible drug test because I'm skinny and have very low body fat. moreover, i'll be exercising a lot of cardio this summer. so i doubt the THC will stay in my system for a long time.

i don't want to specify the place (i want to stay anonymous on sdn) but it's in a third world country.

i'm not too concerned about a possible drug test because I'm skinny and have very low body fat. moreover, i'll be exercising a lot of cardio this summer. so i doubt the THC will stay in my system for a long time.

You go on believing that.:laugh: It's not like very muscular professional athletes ever get caught on drug tests.

If you're referring to Amsterdam (just a wild guess), it's technically illegal there too - the law just isn't enforced.

really?!? don't they even have a program now where farmers can grow it legally?

You go on believing that.:laugh: It's not like very muscular professional athletes ever get caught on drug tests.

i was basing it on the fact that when you exercise, there is some fat mobilization. so whenever that happens, some THC that's already been dissolved in the fat stores is also released and metabolized/broken down. low body fat and lots of exercise can decrease the chances for testing positive.

take what i'm saying with a grain of salt because i don't know much about toxicology/time it takes for stuff to be removed from the system.

i was basing it on the fact that when you exercise, there is some fat mobilization. so whenever that happens, some THC that's already been dissolved in the fat stores is also released and metabolized/broken down. low body fat and lots of exercise can decrease the chances for testing positive.

take what i'm saying with a grain of salt because i don't know much about toxicology/time it takes for stuff to be removed from the system.

I sure wouldn't risk a career on that theory.

here in sdn, a friend is a pronoun for I.