BGU Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berrypie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there's anyone else out there who's planning to start at BGU this summer.

I just found that I was accepted and I'm ecstatic :D It was definitely my first choice school and I'm really looking forward to taking part in such a unique program

Holla back if you're out there
BP

Members don't see this ad.

im izzy
Im currently an MSII

gearing up for the boards, let me be the first BGUer to congratulate you on your acceptance,

all i can say is gear up for an adventure, cause thats what school out here is

you (and any other acceptee) can email me on here publicly or privately whenever you want if you should have any questions about anything....and I mean anything

its a different world here in Be'er Sheva, but we think youre gonna like it here

izzy

A big welcome and congrats from class '08!

We won't get to meet you guys until next January or March, but looking forward to it all the same. Until then, make yourselves at home...

Courage,
Medpilot

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks izzy and medpilot! I just received my admissions package and I'm starting to sort through all the paperwork-- medical forms, immunization records, health insurance, flight details...There's quite a bit to do beforehand! But it's all very exciting.

I do have one question: I've never taken a statistics course and was considering taking it in May and June before starting the school year. The reason I'm waivering is because I was potentially going to travel in May and June, and doing the course would preclude my ability to travel. I would definitely take the course in the spring if it will save me from the stress of doing it during the school year. But, if it's not such a big deal to do the stats course while in med school then I'd rather travel now and worry about stats when it comes up.

What are your thoughts? Does it make a big difference if you've done stats before vs. during med school?

stats is a course first year here, because you start the grant writing process for an international health project that you carry out during your 4th year rotation in one of the developing countries

so you could take stats, and forego on the vacation, but i would reccomend that you dont, stats is combined with epidemiology, so you would have to still take epi even if you placed out of stats, and suprisingly, epi is one of the hardest first year course.....well the test was anyways :D

first year is a long year, you have a 3 week orientation period starting mid july and you pretty much are in school till mid july, you get maybe a 5-6 week summer after first year, which is barely enough time to relax

so i would vacation it up while you can

izzy

Agreed. Go see anything and everyone that you want before you get here, because 1st year is long but not that demanding during the semester. You'll have plenty of time for stats once you start school. The important thing for you to do now is spend quality time with the people you aren't going to see very much for the next few years. Here's a general rule that I go by: school should never come before family and your own well-being. If that means traveling, then go travel.

Where are you going anyway?

Thanks for your advice :)

I've been dying to visit South America for a long time, so I'm thinking about spending 5 weeks travelling through Peru, Bolivia, and maybe Ecuador. I've also been invited to do a road-trip across Canada (I'm from Toronto) and down the West Coast of Canada and the US. I can't decide!

They are both really amazing opportunities. I'm inclined to go to South America because I've got the time and money to do it right now. On the other hand, I haven't even seen much of my own country, and the roadtrip would be a great way to do that.

I'm trying to keep it all in perspective...it's not often you get to choose between two really exciting adventures :D

Izzy-- Good luck on the boards!! When do you write them?

Medpilot-- How are your clinical rotations going? Are you back in North America, or did you decide to stay in Israel?

I love South America...as you can see by my favorite animal! I spent 6 months in Bolivia and Peru a couple years ago. If you have any questions let me know..there are some good volunteer opportunites there as well, though with only 5 weeks you might just want to travel. Whatever you do..have fun, and hopefully I'll be meeting you in July:luck:

i take (not write....because im not canadian) :D
my boards on July 30th which means 128 days from now
but who's counting right

:eek:

izzy

Medpilot-- How are your clinical rotations going? Are you back in North America, or did you decide to stay in Israel?

Today is the last day OB/GYN... :D Glad to be leaving, but it was much better than I had expected overall.

All of the 3rd year clinicals are here in Israel. 3 more months and I'll be on that plane to the REAL holy land of Texas. Sweet victory.

Hi guys,

I just sent in my confirmation of enrollment to BGU! I'm very nervous but very excited, this program looks amazing. BP, I think we might have met on interview day (Feb 16). I remember meeting a Canadian who interviewed with Dr. Quittell right after me. I hope that was you, because if theres more than one of you canucks it looks like this med school is going downhill :p

Congrats gumpyguy! YAYY!

I did have my interview on Feb 16th so there's a good chance we met. I was the token gal that day, but definitely NOT the token Canuck (much to your apparent dismay...LOL ;)).

What are you up to until July?

Welcome aboard Gump. Glad to have ya.

Members don't see this ad :)
All of the 3rd year clinicals are here in Israel. 3 more months and I'll be on that plane to the REAL holy land of Texas. Sweet victory.

holy land of texas.....jeez try to maintain some semblance of anonymity (probably spelled wrong) hmmmm which third year could this be

:laugh:

holy land of texas.....jeez try to maintain some semblance of anonymity (probably spelled wrong) hmmmm which third year could this be

:laugh:

Right... "Izzy" is really difficult to figure out. Besides, you planning on stalking me or something? :rolleyes:

I'm in Scotland/UK for the break and I learned that they at one time had a Republic of Texas embassy. How cool is that!

Arggh. I just heard that the admissions office is still waiting on one recommendation. I talked to the professor and apparently she got confused and thought it was due at the end of April. She'll send it out this week. So then...hopefully interview...and then admission!!

Question: what is the latest someone has applied to BGU and gotten in that you know of?

Yay!! I just got invited for an interview in New York. I hope this bodes well. Any suggestions or advice? Did you dress as formally as many people do for US med school interviews?:luck: :luck:

Welcome everyone that's going to be joining us next year. I'm an MS1 currently.

To answer your question, yes you should dress formally for the interview. But, relax and just be yourself. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Like Izzy, if you guys have any questions feel free email me on here or check out our group on Facebook and email anyone that you want to through there!

Just got the good news today! I am so so excited...:p
Off to celebrate..I'll be back later with lots of questions!

Hi all, I just found about my acceptance yesterday into BGU yesterday and am still in minor shock. I still need to make it through this last week of finals here at Boston College however, blahh. Actually I have my first one in an hour. . .Anyone know how many kids will be in our class? I think I remember Alice saying something around 46. Can't wait to meet you all in July!

They take a max of 50, from what I've heard. There is a group on facebook for BGU-MSIH, but it's hard to tell who is actually in our class.
Can't wait to meet everyone.
By the way, I'm slightly over the kid age, anyone else not fresh out of college? Not that it matters as we'll all be starting this adventure together:p

oh man...it's getting tight. I just sent in my application last week Friday, hoping to hear back for an interview soon!

Hey babycapybara, if you check out the facebook group a small discussion is starting with our class. The couple of students who have written do not appear to be recent undergrad graduates like myself. Maybe I'm the odd one out!

interview this friday!

If anyone has questions feel free to ask

Also I will be here in Be'er Sheva all summer studying for my boards so I will be around if you need advice or help with anything

Enjoy your summers

izzy

accepted=)
.......sigh of relief

Just found out I got in!!!! Can't wait to meet all you guys!

I just got an interview invite. For class of 2012. They wouldn't put me in the class of 2011 if I schedule the interview soon? And guys, any advice about the interview?