BID hem/onc didn’t match 3 in 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bethasu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this seems long overdue. I was searching the threads but didn’t find anything. I’m a current IM residency applicant who’s considering hem/onc. I was looking at BI Deaconess’ hem/onc fellowship match list from years past, and it seems that in 2015, 3 applicants didn’t match:
www.bidmc.org/Medical-Education/Departments/Medicine/Residency-in-Internal-Medicine/What-We-Do/FellowshipMatches/Fellowship-Matches-over-the-past-5-years.aspx

anyone heard about this or know why?

Members don't see this ad.

Guess they wanted to stay in Boston (DFCI or BID H/O). Dana Farber usually takes one. BID can become very competitive if there are plenty of people applying from MGH/BWH.

Last edited:
You're reading their match list incorrectly, it means multiple people matched into a single program. Looking at their hem/onc current fellow list and there are 4 from BIDMC that correspond to that match year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I think they annotated their list incorrectly because in all the other years they have parentheses listing the #s matched to each program but not in the 2015 year that the OP brings up.

In general though I wouldn't read too much into it if a program that has a good rep overall has a year where someone doesn't match. There could be extenuating circumstances that you don't know about, such as "suicide-matching" into a program because of a SO / family or other reasons why it didn't work out