BIDMC vs Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

booya123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious what everyone's thoughts were on these two programs. i'm interested in Cardiology and plan on ranking both of these programs highly. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just curious what everyone's thoughts were on these two programs. i'm interested in Cardiology and plan on ranking both of these programs highly. Thanks in advance.

I think you'd do as well with either. Perhaps slight edge to Cornell for cards.

I was debating the same exact thing to myself. Except my interests are more for G.I. Anyone care to comment on BIDMC vs. Cornell as far as G.I. fellowship placement is concerned? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post/link to BIDMC's match list? I didn't apply there but I'm just curious since it comes up so often here.

Don't let the Cornell med student sway you. BIDMC hands down for cards.

I mean, you will do well for cards in both programs, but BIDMC has a better reputation in the academic world.

Again, can't go wrong with either.

all the programs meshed together, but what was cornell's call schedule for junior/seniors? i know for interns it is Q4, but do the juniors/seniors have night float for the floors? thanks and good luck to everyone.

all the programs meshed together, but what was cornell's call schedule for junior/seniors? i know for interns it is Q4, but do the juniors/seniors have night float for the floors? thanks and good luck to everyone.

first off, bidmc definitely does not have any kind of advantage over cornell in regards to cards (this coming from me, a resident going into cards) and it doesn't have "a better rep in the academic world." i looked into this when i was interviewing and decided to choose cornell over bi. both programs are great and both will get you to where you want to go. pick the program you liked best and pick the location you want to live in.

to answer your question about the call system. interns do q4 call on the floors. r2/r3's do night float one week per month on the floors. no overnight call.

I know nothing about Cornell so can't comment on any comparison. Just want to make sure you know that as a BIDMC resident you have access to all the research opportunities in the Boston/Cambridge area, being it basic science, translational research, clinical trials, health policies, public health, etc... The dozens of Harvard Med School-affiliated institutions, the med school itself, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences labs, the School of Public Health, the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard Business School, the Broad Institute, the MIT labs, etc... Whatever you want to do, you will find a mentor and more research projects than you will be able to handle. And given the sane, supportive IM residency program at BIDMC, you will indeed have time and funding for research.

Don't let the Cornell med student sway you. BIDMC hands down for cards.

I mean, you will do well for cards in both programs, but BIDMC has a better reputation in the academic world.

Again, can't go wrong with either.

Not true. Edge to Cornell for Cards. Cornell > BIDMC. You are riding off BIDMC's (short)coattails to a Harvard fellowship, but I think Cornell can take you further in NY, especially Columbia, which is superior for cards.

Not true. Edge to Cornell for Cards. Cornell > BIDMC. You are riding off BIDMC's (short)coattails to a Harvard fellowship, but I think Cornell can take you further in NY, especially Columbia, which is superior for cards.

Like the poster said above, for BIDMC:

verizon-crowd.jpg

Cornell = BIDMC, pay no attention to the personal bias here. Pick which location you like. Fact is, when looking at match lists (I interviewed both places) neither sent any cards fellows to MGH/BWH or to Columbia in the last 3 years so your point about ‘being in network' is moot. Historically their match lists for Cards are about the same with very few moving ‘up' in tier from either school, so you'd have opportunities at either place, but not too likely to match up at one of the top 4 or 5 programs (of course, if you work hard enough and know the right people, anything is possible…) With Cornell's PD up in the air, I'd say the question mark lies more with them. Pick which location you like – if you want to stay around NYC (not Columbia) maybe Cornell gives you a better shot, if other parts of the NE or world go with either.

Last edited: