Big big big trouble for me need some advice ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GummyBear13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,

I am new to this site, and I love this site because I find it brings alot into perspective for me.

I have big problems: I have completed my biology/chemistry curriculum in MAY 2011. My GPA was way way too low to enter dental school so I skipped the cycle to take additional courses to increase my gpa. well, I didnt perform well this past year, a 1.86 in the fall and so far I have a C+ and a D for the grades that just came out for spring 12.

Spring semester was intermediate biochem, advanced physiology, and developmental bio
fall semester was: intro biochem, pharmacology, analytical chem, cellular/molecular bio

My current overall gpa is 2.33. I need to jump at least a full point. advice??? and what kinds of "post bacc's" shiuld I look into? How long do these "post baccs" last? Must I complete an entire masters degree or is there a one year plan? thanks

Lastly

I may work too much. I pull at least 23-30 hrs of work/week. it hasnt been working but like many of you I only want to be a dentist. Like Im sure many of you, at least one parernt has grown impatient, my gf is impatient. Im in this to win, I believe in myself,and i know if you guys can do it so can I. Today is 5/3/2012 i have until 5/5/12 to tell the school registrar if I want to extend my undergrad stay or "graduate"

Members don't see this ad.

IMO,

work should come secondary to GPA. kinda like knowning when to quit while your ahead. lots of work, and a trash GPA only shows you cant handle a huge load, which doesnt bode well for how you will handle the D1 load.

You can want like hell to get into dental school, but it will be for nothing if you dont prove to admissions that you want it. The more classes you take the harder it will be to move your GPA. Dont focus on how much it is moving, and instead focus on how much you are improving.

For instance, i had a crap GPA of 2.79. But my last 60+ hours of nothing but science classes was a 3.95 (which brought my overall up to a 3.15). It was the improvement that got me in, not my overall GPA (GPA for my entering class was 3.56).

They asked me in the interview, "I'm looking at your engineering degree and you are all over the place. A's, B's, C's, D's... But your current courses are all A's. What changed"

To which I replied, "It is amazing what a purpose can do."

Like I said, prove it to them.

IMO,

work should come secondary to GPA. kinda like knowning when to quit while your ahead. lots of work, and a trash GPA only shows you cant handle a huge load, which doesnt bode well for how you will handle the D1 load.

You can want like hell to get into dental school, but it will be for nothing if you dont prove to admissions that you want it. The more classes you take the harder it will be to move your GPA. Dont focus on how much it is moving, and instead focus on how much you are improving.

For instance, i had a crap GPA of 2.79. But my last 60+ hours of nothing but science classes was a 3.95 (which brought my overall up to a 3.15). It was the improvement that got me in, not my overall GPA (GPA for my entering class was 3.56).

They asked me in the interview, "I'm looking at your engineering degree and you are all over the place. A's, B's, C's, D's... But your current courses are all A's. What changed"

To which I replied, "It is amazing what a purpose can do."

Like I said, prove it to them.

+1 :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
hello all,

I am new to this site, and I love this site because I find it brings alot into perspective for me.

I have big problems: I have completed my biology/chemistry curriculum in MAY 2011. My GPA was way way too low to enter dental school so I skipped the cycle to take additional courses to increase my gpa. well, I didnt perform well this past year, a 1.86 in the fall and so far I have a C+ and a D for the grades that just came out for spring 12.

Spring semester was intermediate biochem, advanced physiology, and developmental bio
fall semester was: intro biochem, pharmacology, analytical chem, cellular/molecular bio

My current overall gpa is 2.33. I need to jump at least a full point. advice??? and what kinds of "post bacc's" shiuld I look into? How long do these "post baccs" last? Must I complete an entire masters degree or is there a one year plan? thanks

Lastly

I may work too much. I pull at least 23-30 hrs of work/week. it hasnt been working but like many of you I only want to be a dentist. Like Im sure many of you, at least one parernt has grown impatient, my gf is impatient. Im in this to win, I believe in myself,and i know if you guys can do it so can I. Today is 5/3/2012 i have until 5/5/12 to tell the school registrar if I want to extend my undergrad stay or "graduate"

I'm sorry but I'm going to be blunt. You have a 2.33 and even if you somehow managed to get a 31 on the DAT, you wouldn't stand a chance. Let's be honest here. Your GPA is horrible, and your last semester was even worse. Horrible GPA with a downward trend? That's the worst of the worst. I'm sorry that I'm being so harsh.

My advice is to take a year off or something. Seriously, if you keep taking classes, you're just going to perform the same as before and dig yourself a deeper hole. If you've already taken a bunch of upper level science courses, than post-bacc won't work for you. At that point, masters will be your only shot and if you screw that up, you're basically toast.

My guess is you're still in your early 20s. Take some time off and really think about things. You still have time to get into dental school. You need to figure out the root cause of why you can't perform well and fix that before you move on. I say go ahead and graduate. Don't sign up for more classes. You need some time to reflect. You have time.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I'm going to be blunt. You have a 2.33 and even if you somehow managed to get a 31 on the DAT, you wouldn't stand a chance. Let's be honest here. Your GPA is horrible, and your last semester was even worse. Horrible GPA with a downward trend? That's the worst of the worst. I'm sorry that I'm being so harsh.

My advice is to take a year off or something. Seriously, if you keep taking classes, you're just going to perform the same as before and dig yourself a deeper hole. If you've already taken a bunch of upper level science courses, than post-bacc won't work for you. At that point, masters will be your only shot and if you screw that up, you're basically toast.

My guess is you're still in your early 20s. Take some time off and really think about things. You still have time to get into dental school. You need to figure out the root cause of why you can't perform well and fix that before you move on. I say go ahead and graduate. Don't sign up for more classes. You need some time to reflect. You have time.

+1:thumbup:

:thumbup:

I agree with all the other posts! Wanting to become a dentist is not enough; you have to perform well academically to show that you can handle the heavy course work in dental school. Plus it's about you and not your girlfriend. She needs to learn to stay patient! Everyone here who got accepted to dental school worked really hard and some invested a lot of time and money and stayed patient.
Even the title of your post says need advice ASAP!! You gotta learn patience too.
My advice to you is to start a masters program and perform well!!

I agree with all the other posts! Wanting to become a dentist is not enough; you have to perform well academically to show that you can handle the heavy course work in dental school. Plus it's about you and not your girlfriend. She needs to learn to stay patient! Everyone here who got accepted to dental school worked really hard and some invested a lot of time and money and stayed patient.
Even the title of your post says need advice ASAP!! You gotta learn patience too.
My advice to you is to start a masters program and perform well!!

Agreed with the above. Look into some research as well as this will be in addition to your masters and will stand out to adcoms.
You at least need some kind of upward trend. GPA needs to go up somehow. I think that even at this point retaking classes will be to no effect because DS's look at both grade and average them. Therefore if you received a D at first but an A when retaken you really are only looking at a B- at best.
If this is what you want to do, which many people "want" to become dentists, you need to put forth the effort and time in order to turn the grades. They do not need to be perfect (as I and others are not perfect students by far), but they need to have some genuine effort behind them.
Working while you are in college is fine if your GPA does not suffer. If your GPA falls, you need to cut your work down. Do not forget, as most college students do now, is your education is an investment for your future. If the grades are not there, then you are basically (as my mom and dad used to say) throwing your money out onto the street.
Good luck!

To be totally honest man... this is not a one year plan... this is more like a 4 year plan. If you have a 2.3 with approx 120 credits, that means it will take another 120 credits of 4.0 just to raise it to a 3.15, which still is well below the average for dental schools.

So if you were to do this, that means 1-2 full years of informal postbac work, where you take upper level science classes. You need to get your undergrad GPA above 2.5-2.75, many dschools have cut offs below that. Then you will need to enroll in a 2 year science bases MS program. Then to top all this off, you will need to blow the DAT out of the water, which is no easy task.

Finally, you need to be prepared that after all this hard work, you still might not get in... 4 years from now, the competition will probably be even more difficult. You also, have to weigh the debt factor in, 3 more years of student loans and no income can take a toll and is a risky gamble on just another gamble of getting into dschool.

However, what you really need to do is look deep down and ask yourself honestly if you have what it takes. Are you capable of getting a 4.0 for the next 4 years of your life. It takes a ton of time and sacrifice to become this type of student. You can't work, you can't have much of a social life and you need to be ok with that. If you really think you have what it takes, physically and emotionally, to grind out A's for the 4 years, go for it. If not you may want to look into some other less competitive health careers: nursing, chiropractic, or podiatry.

Thanks all for the advice, I contacted several dental schools soon after I posted this thread and was able to speak to several people. Most notably, I got through to a chairman of one school. Left a message not expecting him to call back but to my surprise he did! Only an hour later! He mentioned he has many students in my position and it is not all that uncommon. He listened to me and advised me to buckle down and finish a masters program. An MS or an MPH will suffice for most schools. Just stay in the B range, that shows capacity to handle a curriculum. He says he has a young lady ready to grad dental school now who used it. He also wanted my email and he sent me a packet on the call. Great guy.

Fast forward to now I spoke with a med school near my home and they offer the program. Yes Ill have to take the GRE but this puts me in a great place for Health Care administrative job positions and also keeps me on the Dental school tract. I also know the assoc lead admit guy from my home state dental school. He's great.

My plan,
1. take DAT and GRE this summer....(
2. increase GPA this year
3. enter Masters program next fall (2 year commitment)
4. apply for dental school one year in

Be prepared to invest alot of years to try to prove adcoms you deserve a spot IF u are genuinely interested in this field. Your stats don't paint that picture at all

If I were u, id invest some time researching other careers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the advice, I contacted several dental schools soon after I posted this thread and was able to speak to several people. Most notably, I got through to a chairman of one school. Left a message not expecting him to call back but to my surprise he did! Only an hour later! He mentioned he has many students in my position and it is not all that uncommon. He listened to me and advised me to buckle down and finish a masters program. An MS or an MPH will suffice for most schools. Just stay in the B range, that shows capacity to handle a curriculum. He says he has a young lady ready to grad dental school now who used it. He also wanted my email and he sent me a packet on the call. Great guy.

Fast forward to now I spoke with a med school near my home and they offer the program. Yes Ill have to take the GRE but this puts me in a great place for Health Care administrative job positions and also keeps me on the Dental school tract. I also know the assoc lead admit guy from my home state dental school. He's great.

My plan,

Do not just stay in B range. You need to have at least a 3.5+. Also, keep in mind that your DAT can expire after 3 years. It may be best to take the DAT closer to when you actually apply.

My plan,

5. Try to get a 4.0 in the masters program

Seriously...... set the bar that high... tell yourself unless you get an "A" in every course from here on out you have no shot, whether thats true or not it's your best bet, because at least you can say you left nothing on the table

Good Luck :xf:

The :thumbup: on this thread shows a good representation on your logic. By continuing to pursue dentistry you are taking the road less traveled. I would consider other career options in your position Gummy. You have no mention of why you want to pursue dentistry and you say "I only want to be a dentist"

"However, what you really need to do is look deep down and ask yourself honestly if you have what it takes. Are you capable of getting a 4.0 for the next 4 years of your life. It takes a ton of time and sacrifice to become this type of student. You can't work, you can't have much of a social life and you need to be ok with that. If you really think you have what it takes, physically and emotionally, to grind out A's for the 4 years, go for it. If not you may want to look into some other less competitive health careers: nursing, chiropractic, or podiatry."

Consider what is said above. I like how it's worded. You must be realistic. You will be committing time, money, your family and friends, yourself, and your future for a plan that has a high probability of not panning out.

Please don't think that you couldn't "make it" in dentistry. This is not always the case. It might be part of the reason but not all of it. Your work schedule was irresponsible. You shouldn't have done it and you will/are paying for it. I don't believe in excuses, but you had a lot on your plate.

Just think it through. Your mention of the impatient in your support group has me concerned as well. Do what's best for you. Make sure dentistry is what you want to do. Again, no mention of ECs no mention of drive or passion or the love of science. Do you want to be a dentist to make good money? You're in the wrong field(I've ringed this tone at least 10 times in the past week.)

Consider it all. Keep in mind that no one in admissions will tell you to give up on dentistry. If they do, they shouldn't.

Keep in mind that Dental School is not something everyone can get into. You may feel down from not getting in, but if you think about it only a handful can become dentists, doctors, etc. Don't feel like you have failed just because of that.

Heck I didn't get into dental school and I stopped trying after 2 attempts, because I felt I was just wasting my money and time, I am not amazingly smart as a lot of people are nor am I able to regurgitate information or have test taking skills like others can do. After thinking about it, becoming a Dentist is not something I wanted to do most of my life.

Now I do trades and stocks, and I make twice as much money than what my dental friends make.

The world is full of options and choices, don't beat yourself just because you didn't get into dental school.

Keep in mind that Dental School is not something everyone can get into. You may feel down from not getting in, but if you think about it only a handful can become dentists, doctors, etc. Don't feel like you have failed just because of that.

Heck I didn't get into dental school and I stopped trying after 2 attempts, because I felt I was just wasting my money and time, I am not amazingly smart as a lot of people are nor am I able to regurgitate information or have test taking skills like others can do. After thinking about it, becoming a Dentist is not something I wanted to do most of my life.

Now I do trades and stocks, and I make twice as much money than what my dental friends make.

The world is full of options and choices, don't beat yourself just because you didn't get into dental school.

When I start my own practice, I hope to trade stocks in between patients. Maybe that's not realistic, but one can dream.

To be totally honest man... this is not a one year plan... this is more like a 4 year plan. If you have a 2.3 with approx 120 credits, that means it will take another 120 credits of 4.0 just to raise it to a 3.15, which still is well below the average for dental schools.

So if you were to do this, that means 1-2 full years of informal postbac work, where you take upper level science classes. You need to get your undergrad GPA above 2.5-2.75, many dschools have cut offs below that. Then you will need to enroll in a 2 year science bases MS program. Then to top all this off, you will need to blow the DAT out of the water, which is no easy task.

Finally, you need to be prepared that after all this hard work, you still might not get in... 4 years from now, the competition will probably be even more difficult. You also, have to weigh the debt factor in, 3 more years of student loans and no income can take a toll and is a risky gamble on just another gamble of getting into dschool.

However, what you really need to do is look deep down and ask yourself honestly if you have what it takes. Are you capable of getting a 4.0 for the next 4 years of your life. It takes a ton of time and sacrifice to become this type of student. You can't work, you can't have much of a social life and you need to be ok with that. If you really think you have what it takes, physically and emotionally, to grind out A's for the 4 years, go for it. If not you may want to look into some other less competitive health careers: nursing, chiropractic, or podiatry.

Good advice. But can you actually get into podiatry with that low of a gpa? I thought their avg gpa is still around 3.2-3.3

Good advice. But can you actually get into podiatry with that low of a gpa? I thought their avg gpa is still around 3.2-3.3

Yeah... the OP would be hard fought to find a pod school that accepts a 2.3....