Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

big bucks

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sacrament, Aug 13, 2001.

1. sacrament

sacrament somewhere east
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Please tell me there's a problem with my math:

Figuring that approximately 40,000 people are applying through AMCAS, and on average each one applies to about 10 schools, that's $420 * 40,000 = $16,800,000. Almost 17 million dollars?!? What do you figure their operating costs are? I'm guessing it isn't 17 million dollars.

2. kornphan

kornphan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

good question! i wish i had the answer...

3. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Membership Revoked
    Removed

You're right. New webservers and software development is expensive, but its NOT that expensive, so AMCAS cant play this off like the web application is soo expensive that they need all that money to support it.

Also, they have a relatively small staff (somewhere around 20 full time employees) so their staffing costs arent that high also. This year, they hired some additional temp workers, but temps are even cheaper than full timers.

I'd love to see their books. I'd be absolutely shocked if their costs actually come to around 17 million. If it really does cost them that much to operate, then they are surely the most inadept non-profit organization that I've ever heard of.

No other non-profit gets away with the budgeting and delivery stuff that AMCAS does.

4. LizardKing

LizardKing Veteran Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't forget, AAMC makes a ton of money off MCAT registration fees. I've heard AMCAS alone makes 31 million dollars each year.