ComicBookDude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2005
Status
I just finished my freshman year of college a few months ago with a 3.55 GPA. Now I decided that I REALLY want to pursue a career as a physician. I was wondering which of the following all of you would recommend:

1. Math/Stats double major with VERY limited science electives (pretty much just the requirements)

2. Math major/Stats minor with a few extra bio, chem, physics classes.

3. Math major/Spanish minor (I would imagine I'd be moderately fluent by senior year) with a few extra bio, chem and physics classes.

Note that I am going to a liberal arts school with a very large amount of gen ed classes (philosophy, theology, sociology etc), so I will already have a third of my credit hours devoted to those topics. Which of the three choice which you all recommend?

swtiepie711

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Personally, I'd vote for option #3. #1 seems one dimensional to me (s/he can do mathematics, but what else???), #2 doesn't seem much different. #3 seems the most unique & useful (at least in certain states) JMO

beponychick

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
ComicBookDude said:
I just finished my freshman year of college a few months ago with a 3.55 GPA. Now I decided that I REALLY want to pursue a career as a physician. I was wondering which of the following all of you would recommend:

1. Math/Stats double major with VERY limited science electives (pretty much just the requirements)

2. Math major/Stats minor with a few extra bio, chem, physics classes.

3. Math major/Spanish minor (I would imagine I'd be moderately fluent by senior year) with a few extra bio, chem and physics classes.

Note that I am going to a liberal arts school with a very large amount of gen ed classes (philosophy, theology, sociology etc), so I will already have a third of my credit hours devoted to those topics. Which of the three choice which you all recommend?

yuck, i hate math. :laugh: But if math is your major, I would chose the spanish minor. Makes you a bit more well-rounded and a knowing a second language may really help in your career.

About the Ads

ParvatiP

10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
NY
Status
Medical Student
I would pick the Spanish minor, too (actually I will probably have a Spanish minor myself :) ). I didn't think I'd pursue Spanish after HS, but took a few classes in college and am really glad that I did! Being fluent/nearly-fluent in another language is a great skill to have. Also, you should pick the minor to give yourself more opportunities to take elective classes and branch out your education, make yourself more well-rounded.

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
definetly throw in the spanish

it will make you more rounded, and it will make you look really good to schools with large Latino communities nearby, such as USC, Columbia, etc.

_ian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2005
Status
None of those will actually help you more than any other option for admissions, mind you... but I'd go with option #3 just because it seems like the most useful option.

joanofarc0907

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Spanish is so useful. I wish I had decided to take a minor in it back in freshman year, but I waited way too long. Best option def.

vincikai

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status
I am not too sure why you goto a liberal arts school for Math major. But w/e you do, pull up your GPA and be happy. :luck:

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Go with number 3. Spanish is a good thing to know, also try to figure out a way to become fluent. Maybe try to work at a free clinic where you can attempt to use this skill and master it.

About the Ads