Big decision: The best vs. the best fit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lumbago61

Where did my lumbago
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been a long-time "lurker" of this forum as a guest and it seems like there are so many genuine and knowledgeable people on here.

Now that I've gone on all of my interviews and rank list decisions loom, I could really use some advice from the senior members on this board who have gone through this process.

For the #1 program on my rank list I am deciding between a program from list A vs. list B (below)

List A: RIC, Spaulding, UWash

vs.

List B: Colorado, Temple, MCV

As for whats tying my stomach up in knots:

Based upon my interview experience - I feel that the programs on list A have more resources, stronger overall faculty, better national reputation in the field, more consistant fellowship matches, etc.

However...

I have a stronger gut feeling about the "personal fit" at a certain program on list B, it's closer to friends and family, in the region I ultimately want to settle down and work and has a strong alumni base in that area.

My goals: Likely private practice and I want an opportunity to have a legit shot at a landing a strong Sports and Spine (or maybe Pain) fellowship if I choose to go that route.

The question:
Am I crazy, stupid, naive, etc for wanting to rank a program from list B #1 above a program on list A?!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
seems like a no brainer to me. personal happiness at a great program vs. going to a program with a better name on paper. good residents become good fellows. thats the trend. goto a program where you fit, and you will excel there. it matters more to excel as a resident than it does to goto a top 3 program versus a top 10 program.

you want to go into private practice not academics, and it seems like you found the perfect program ("I have a stronger gut feeling about the "personal fit" at a certain program on list B, it's closer to friends and family, in the region I ultimately want to settle down and work and has a strong alumni base in that area").

rank your "b" list program number one, and hope that you arent on their "b-list"

Going through this process with you, I have had some of the same questions, though my decisions are being swayed by locations of programs as well as the training they offer. I think that ranking the places you fit in will increase your satisfaction and happiness to be at your program of choice. In turn, you would be a more productive and more desirable resident coming out when you want to look for fellowships, rather than being less happy but throwing around a bigger name.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best fit.

I have a stronger gut feeling about the "personal fit" at a certain program on list B, it's closer to friends and family, in the region I ultimately want to settle down and work and has a strong alumni base in that area.

Sounds like you’ve already made your decision. Don’t underestimate the value of a support system.

agreed, go for fit, all of the programs you listed are excellent.

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I had basically made up my mind prior to posting this, but I guess I just wanted to get some other perspectives on the matter from those who have been in my position before.

I am almost certain that I will rank as you all suggest. Though this is ultimately my decision, it is comforting to here support for it.

In the private practice sector, how common is it for pedigree from a nationally renowned institution (and assumption of top-notch training) to trump local connections for a grad from a more regionally known training program?

In PM&R groups I would imagine it could go either way and maybe favor the latter type of program, but what about Ortho/NS groups?

How does this usually pan out in the "real world"?

I think most people associate specific people with institutions. So you if your institution has a physiatrist who is well respected and well known in the community, that will be helpful. I have found that although not a lot of ortho/NS/anesthesia know "Rehab Institute of Chicago", most know "joel press, president of NASS", or "norm harden, CRPS expert". It also helps if there is a large alum base. many of my job opportunities have come from RIC grads all over the country. There is a certain level of trust that comes with having training in common as most people who train at a specific institution tend to share skill levels and to some extent, philosophy.

In the private practice sector, how common is it for pedigree from a nationally renowned institution (and assumption of top-notch training) to trump local connections for a grad from a more regionally known training program?

In PM&R groups I would imagine it could go either way and maybe favor the latter type of program, but what about Ortho/NS groups?

How does this usually pan out in the "real world"?

Having interviewed with many ortho groups and now working at one, I can tell you that for the most part, private practice groups have absolutely no clue which programs are the best and have never heard of most of our "superdocs". I trained 90 minutes from here and they don't know a single one of my attendings. I think they just base it on the strength of the ortho program at the same institution.

> List A: RIC, Spaulding, UWash
> List B: Colorado, Temple, MCV

I agree with what other people are saying- if you think the best "fit" is in list B, then I would go with the program in List B

However, I would note one of the main reasons I say this is that the programs you list in List B are all very good programs- they are all clearly top 20 programs, and cases could be made for them being top 10 programs

To me, this would be the sports equivalent of a basketball team saying "I really need a power forward for my team. Should I take Chris Bosh or Chris Paul?" Chris Paul is a better player, but Chris Bosh is still an elite team and better fits your needs

If you had lower tier programs in List B, then I would say go to the better overall program. The difference between the top programs and the bottom programs is pretty substantial.