Big Decision to Make!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMike24

eat, drink, and be merry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again. You all have given me some great advice so far and I need some more. I am considering withdrawing my application and applying next year. Here are my reasons...

1) I need to make sure that this is the field I want to go in. How do you really know? I have been somewhat exposed to medicine through volunteering at the ER, shadowing, plenty of talking to docs, but I think I need more exposure. Maybe work as a PCT or EMT? Any ideas on how to do this? If I am really going to give my life to medicine, especially my prime 20's, I NEED to know this is what will make me happiest.

2) Whats the point in rushing? I'll be 22 in a month. I think thats still somewhat young for applying to med school. I still have time.

3) Girlfriend is one year below me. It would be nice not to do a long distance relationship first year. This reason is lowest on my list, as its not a big deal. (BTW, shes not going into medicine).

Basically, this whole process would be a lot easier if I was very sure this is what I want to do. I have some doubts, and I know lots of people have some doubts, so I dont think thats too big of a deal. I am pretty sure that I want to go into medicine, and I think I have looked into it, but I think a year off might be a good idea to put things in prospective?

Some cons to this might be that I cant get geared up to actually do med school. I dont think this will be a problem. I am graduating in the fall, and will have spring off. I can maybe do some EMT training or something like that. I am going to europe for about 2 months next summer, and I can send out my application June 1, and when I come back knock out all the secondaries. Then fall 06 I can interview while working as a PCT or EMT or something, while doing some postbac to keep me in academics. I am really more clinically oriented, I dont really want to do research.

What about defering my acceptance? How does that work? Anyone know? I can keep my app in and possibly defer if needed?

I resubmitted july 1, and am waiting for my app to be verified. If I withdraw before verification, can I get my $$ back? Maybe not the initial 160 or so, but the 30 per school?

Are there any financial consequences? i.e. scholarships, etc.

Basically its a big decision and I need to find out more about this process of possibly taking a year off. I feel like I need some life experience because I've just been in college, and basically all you have to do is get good grades. Has anyone taken a year off or known anyone who has done it and it maybe has backfired? Any one else feel like this? I really think it can only help my getting in to a med school. My credentials are on mdapplicants down below in my signiture if you need.

Thanks so much for any advice you can give. I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I mainly need to know about cons in doing this. I am pretty sure all the pros outweigh the cons but I would really like to hear from some of you all. I need to make this decision this week. Mainly I would like to know different things I could do the year off that are mainly clinical, such as pct or emt, something that would give me more exposure, as well as what is involved in defering your acceptance.
Thanks.

I think you should still keep your app in this year. First of all, you'll have a whole semester to get more clinical experience and make sure its the field for you next year. If at the end of that semester you decide medicine isn't for you, then you can withdraw and be done with it. If you want more time, you can defer. And if you're ready, you won't be forced into waiting a year to start med school.

If you are serious about withdrawing this year, I'd find out first if schools will be able to see in the future that you applied but then withdrew your app. If they can, you may have some awkward questions to answer in interviews next year, and it may reflect badly on your app. Your reasons for wanting to wait are justified, but some adcoms may view it as a problem nonetheless.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't think at this point getting EMT experience is going to help you know if being a DOCTOR is right for you. I would keep my app in and defer a year. That way you can interview now and don't have to do all of that business on your year off.

DrMike24 said:
Hello again. You all have given me some great advice so far and I need some more. I am considering withdrawing my application and applying next year. Here are my reasons...

1) I need to make sure that this is the field I want to go in. How do you really know? I have been somewhat exposed to medicine through volunteering at the ER, shadowing, plenty of talking to docs, but I think I need more exposure. Maybe work as a PCT or EMT? Any ideas on how to do this? If I am really going to give my life to medicine, especially my prime 20's, I NEED to know this is what will make me happiest.

2) Whats the point in rushing? I'll be 22 in a month. I think thats still somewhat young for applying to med school. I still have time.

3) Girlfriend is one year below me. It would be nice not to do a long distance relationship first year. This reason is lowest on my list, as its not a big deal. (BTW, shes not going into medicine).

Basically, this whole process would be a lot easier if I was very sure this is what I want to do. I have some doubts, and I know lots of people have some doubts, so I dont think thats too big of a deal. I am pretty sure that I want to go into medicine, and I think I have looked into it, but I think a year off might be a good idea to put things in prospective?

Some cons to this might be that I cant get geared up to actually do med school. I dont think this will be a problem. I am graduating in the fall, and will have spring off. I can maybe do some EMT training or something like that. I am going to europe for about 2 months next summer, and I can send out my application June 1, and when I come back knock out all the secondaries. Then fall 06 I can interview while working as a PCT or EMT or something, while doing some postbac to keep me in academics. I am really more clinically oriented, I dont really want to do research.

What about defering my acceptance? How does that work? Anyone know? I can keep my app in and possibly defer if needed?

I resubmitted july 1, and am waiting for my app to be verified. If I withdraw before verification, can I get my $$ back? Maybe not the initial 160 or so, but the 30 per school?

Are there any financial consequences? i.e. scholarships, etc.

Basically its a big decision and I need to find out more about this process of possibly taking a year off. I feel like I need some life experience because I've just been in college, and basically all you have to do is get good grades. Has anyone taken a year off or known anyone who has done it and it maybe has backfired? Any one else feel like this? I really think it can only help my getting in to a med school. My credentials are on mdapplicants down below in my signiture if you need.

Thanks so much for any advice you can give. I really appreciate it.

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking -- you want to go through with the application process, get into a school, and then tell them you want to defer med school so you can work as an EMT and figure out if medicine is for you? I think I can provide you with some pretty substantial "cons". Some schools are very liberal with allowing people to defer for good reasons (such as family health issues), but I'm not sure you should assume every or any place will permit you to do this in your situation. I mean, it would have made sense to decide you were not ready before you started the process, and then apply next year. But since you have already started the process, bear in mind that if the place(s) you get into don't agree to letting you defer, or you decide to withdraw from everyplace, you probably have to apply next year as a reapplicant, which at some schools is a hurdle (you will be expected to show substantial improvement), and (if you did the deferment attempt route) for any schools which accepted you and you didn't come, may make them decide not to bother with you again. I would be concerned that this false start might make med schools leery of your maturity and committment to medicine if and when you finally decide to apply in a year. So I say withdraw or seek deferment at your own peril. Good luck.

Law2Doc said:
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking -- you want to go through with the application process, get into a school, and then tell them you want to defer med school so you can work as an EMT and figure out if medicine is for you? I think I can provide you with some pretty substantial "cons". Some schools are very liberal with allowing people to defer for good reasons (such as family health issues), but I'm not sure you should assume every or any place will permit you to do this in your situation. I mean, it would have made sense to decide you were not ready before you started the process, and then apply next year. But since you have already started the process, bear in mind that if the place(s) you get into don't agree to letting you defer, or you decide to withdraw from everyplace, you probably have to apply next year as a reapplicant, which at some schools is a hurdle (you will be expected to show substantial improvement), and (if you did the deferment attempt route) for any schools which accepted you and you didn't come, may make them decide not to bother with you again. I would be concerned that this false start might make med schools leery of your maturity and committment to medicine if and when you finally decide to apply in a year. So I say withdraw or seek deferment at your own peril. Good luck.

I am thinking that since my app has not been processed yet, it wouldnt have been sent to the schools? I have to call aamc tomorrow and talk to them. I do think that withdrawing them after they have been sent out would not be a good idea.