Big disparity among scores. Any Chances?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by octav982, Jun 4, 2008.

1. octav982

Pre-Dental
    I took it today. It was as I expected it. I guessed my way through the science that I knew I didn't know. I happily finished my favorite, the PAT and resumed the lengthy test after a cup of water. The somewhat surprises were the RC and the GC. One was lower and the other one higher than usual.

Perceptual Ability 23
    Quantitative Reasoning 19
    Reading Comprehension 15
    Biology 16
    General Chemistry 21
    Organic Chemistry 15
    Total Science 17
    Academic Average 17

I have a 3.31 overall and a 3.81 science GPAs. My thoughts on this, range from studying even harder to quitting on this whole thing altogether. I have the application for the 09 cycle scheduled for this week. What would you do in my place?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TempleDMDKrazd

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i think its best for you to retake...to have a 3.81 science GPA and such low sciences scores...(especially biology) thats a red flag for ADCOM.....

4. octav982

Pre-Dental
    Yes, I thought about that too. I am the, good at getting tested bit by bit, bad at getting tested all at once, type person. I get emotionally overwhelmed. GC was the subject I was the least prepared on, and I studied more consistently.

5. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Your chances would've been a lot higher if you can get a 19 or above. Good luck! :)

6. 32pearlywhites

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm totally in the same boat as you! I have a really good GPA and am scoring terribly in the sciences but awesome in the PAT on practice tests, probably because I'm a non-science major. I'm taking the DAT on 6/12. Will a huge discrepency in GPA and DAT negate 3 years of getting good grades? I am a horrible standardized test taker.

Any thoughts?

7. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Short answer: yes.

DAT isn't going to be the last standardized test you take. There are still many more: NBDE part 1, part 2, regional board, etc.

If you can't handle DAT, how will you be able to handle the rest comes dental school?

8. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    The other tricky thing is on the science sections either you know it or you don't. That has little to do with standardized testing unless it is a time issue. If not a time issue, then it is generally a knowledge or retention issue unfortunately.
    I didn't ace my DATs... but I was told RC score is REALLY important and I did very well on that section. Something to keep in mind. You can get better at that part.

9. tadizhere

Pre-Dental
    dont give up if dentistry is your dream. i got the same dat score the first time around and going for a second shot in august, but learn from your mistakes and practice alot. you will do fine.

10. octav982

Pre-Dental
    Thank you everybody for the excellent feedback. To summarize, you think that I should not give up as I can still improve, I should retake it until I get at least a 19, and I should especially work on getting my RC higher :)

11. DCRedskinsRule

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There's actually really good news about this score if you're planning on taking it again. The sections that you did well on, are ones that require more skill and practice in terms of how to approach the questions on the test ie PAT GC and QR...all three of which were MAJOR time crunches IMO.

The other science sections, bio and ochem can most likely be easily brought up by just covering more information...there's just a lot more material IMO for these two sections, so that you can of course just study and absorb.

RC is tough in terms of timing but you may try skimming the passage, reading the first paragraph and the first sentence of the subsequent paragraphs and taking very general notes about where things are in the passage but don't take more than like 7-9 min on the actual passage. Spend the bulk of the 20 min that you get for each one on the questions.

Hope this helps and if you need something else, feel free to PM me. :)

12. octav982

Pre-Dental
    Yes, i agree with you that there is potential in these scores. Now that you suggested such a good approach to RC I realized how wrong I was to spend 13 - 15 min on the passage and too little time on the actual questions.