Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Big FAT C in Biochemistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by shikki79, Dec 25, 2001.

1. shikki79

shikki79 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Everyone,
    I need a brutally honest reply. I am a chemistry major and this semester I made the horrible mistake of taking 20 credits. I did this in a semester when I was taking Biochemistry,Physical Chemistry and Differential Equations in addition to three other courses. Plus I also work part time.
    Needless to say, overloading was a bad idea and I ended up with four A's , a B in Physical Chemistry and a big fat ugly C in Biochemistry of all classes!!!!!!!!!! This dropeed my cumulative GPA down to a 3.7.
    I have not taken the MCATs or DATs yet ( I'm conflicted between med school and dental school)but I won't waste my money if there is no chance of me getting into medical school.
    This is my first C ever, but it is in a course that kinda reflects my ability to handle medical school since it is a medical school class. I'm so disappointed in myself for overloading and messing myself up.
    Please let me know if there is still hope.If there is, what type of MCAT and DAT scores do I need to compensate for my GPA dropping and the C in Biochemistry.
    Please be brutally honest. Real life experiences to back up your opinion will be greatly appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

shikki79,
    Welcome to SDN :) . As many posters will tell you, one C really won't matter. Biochemistry is not even a requirement for most medical schools. Given that you have an impressive academic record, relax :) Concentrate on doing better in the future, and aim for a good MCAT score. If admissions committee's have any doubt about your potential in the biological sciences, a score of around 11/15 would dispel any doubts. So, nothing's out of your hands at this stage ... just do as good as you've always been doing. :)

4. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think you should be celebrating your good grades instead of pouting about your bad grade in Biochem. A "C" really isn't the end of the world even though it seems like it. If that C is the only discrepancy (sp?) in your transcript, I really don't think it's going to affect you all that much. ADCOMs aren't oblivious to course loads.

As far as wasting your money on applying, are you being serious?? I don't know where your GPA stood prior to taking Biochem, but a 3.7 is NOT bad. There are numerous people CURRENTLY in med school who've had C's on their transcripts.

It's hard to say what score on the MCAT can get you in b/c it's a crackshot. People get in w/ 28s and others with 38s get rejected. I would think that if you've got a personality and some extracurriculars, you could optimize your chances of getting in w/ a 32+ on the MCAT.

Then again...take what I say w/ a grain of salt; I'm not omnipotent...though I wish I were. :)

5. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

One C will be fine :) You will get in don't worry as long as you keep up the grades that gave you a 3.7....good luck!

6. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

Ahhh...that first C. When you scroll down your transcript page online (or open it in the mail, i've had both)...that feeling of surprise when you see the curly top, the panic, the helplessness. Yep, beautiful feeling. Just don't feel it too much and you'll be fine. Take care and happy new year! --Trek

7. dirkdiggler

dirkdiggler Member
    7+ Year Member

Dont worry about a C, I had two C's my two physics classes, I have had plenty of interviews and a few acceptances, my MCATs were a little above avg, with a GPA of 3.4, so dont worry at all!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. my god, people bitch about the stupidest freaking things!! DUDE, you got a C in a class, big [email protected]#ing deal. you're such a dork! there's a million posts like this. read them if you're feeling that pathetic.

"I'm so disappointed in myself for overloading and messing myself up.
    Please let me know if there is still hope.If there is, what type of MCAT and DAT scores do I need to compensate for my GPA dropping and the C in Biochemistry.
    Please be brutally honest. Real life experiences to back up your opinion will be greatly appreciated."

yeah kiddo, i'm disappointed in you as well.I don't know if you'll ever live this mistake down. Hope?? It's gone my friend. Unless you compensate with 1600's on the MCAT or DAT, that is. Go get 'em, tigerrr. you might even have to prove yourself on the boards before they let you begin med school. at least that's what the dean at Meharry told me about applications like yours.

Like my advice? you told me ahead of time you'd greatly appreciate it, so i feel good about it. i was brutally honest with you just like you asked. as far as backing it up with life experiences...from what i've seen and heard other people live through...med schools no longer take students who screw up in biochem as royally as you did. Try physician assistant schools...scratch that, matter of fact..i think you'd make a better nurse.

9. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dude, Caveman, a little passionate bout this one huh?

10. grettlin

grettlin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi dirkdiggler,
    Do you mind to tell us your MCAT score (like, P:, B:, V :) and are you from famous college? After reading previous post, it might affect if you are from good notation school.
    Why I ask is because I am from state univ and I would like to know the relationship between state school GPA and MCAT. Thanks!

11. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

ignore caveman. he's probably some high school student: "1600's in MCAT's"

one C is not that bad, considering got 4 A's and a 3.7. please let common sense be your guide here.

13. Purifyer

Purifyer Dr. Funk
    7+ Year Member

Meh. Don't ridicule the guy... I can imagine how he might feel. The lowest mark I've ever got was a B+... and man was I gutted... end of the world etc :) In my defence it was the most bull**** paper ever ('English for effective communication') and I stopped doing any work in it like a week into the semester.. still :)

So... hang in there dude :oops: . I don't think one C will make much of a difference... you give the impression that your extra-curricular isn't... very good, maybe you should focus on that to help your applications :)

14. bentz

bentz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey kiddo go enjoy the rest of the holiday. a C is not the end of the world. just to make you feel better, I know of a med student who got a F in Org II. he's in his last year and one of the top student in his class. just relax and fun. I'm not saying to go ahead and have a F, but try to better next time. I bet they won't even bring up the C during your interviews.

15. The Falconer

The Falconer Member
    7+ Year Member

Ditto what most people said here. The C won't kill you. Decide what test/field you want to get into though and start studying for that test...they are a little different. If the C is bugging you that much..take the course again and prove to yourself that you can do well in it!