Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Big fluctuations on verbal score

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by badasshairday, Apr 24, 2007.

1. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Anyone else here have/had huge fluctuations on their verbal score? If so, how did you get consistent? I guess you guys are just going to say practice.

My Verbal story:
    On my Diag I got a 5 on the verbal than I slowly grew from there. Back in Feb, my verbal score peaked at 11. Then I ignored verbal for a while and went hard on the science and my verbal score was stayed around a 9. Then in the end of march I had the shock of my life and got a 4. I studied verbal like crazy and got myself back to a 10 in two weeks which stayed consistent over two practice test. Then I took a week off of verbal and got hammered with a 7 on my next test.

My MCAT is on May 11 and I'm freaking out. Verbal can really make or break my overall score.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast 5+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2006
    yeah I think a possibility could be that your score is varying due to passage subjects and levels of interest. verbal is the one section of the MCAT that I think is purely practice--there's no theory, there's no games... you just need to master the skill of reading a passage and processing it well enough to answer some questions. In my opinion this makes it less consuming to work on since all you need to do is work through practice sections. I would probably do at least a practice passage a day from now until mcat time. You'll develop that feel for it.

4. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012 10+ Year Member

FYI, in hindsite I wish I had practiced more verbal. The VR on the real deal was intense. :luck:

5. Genesis12

Genesis12 New Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Ohio
    moreover, due to the wicked curve on the verbal section, it is only natural that you would get wilder fluctuations than you would with PS and BS. in fact, I have found that if you can consistently score in the double digits on your practice tests, it's only a matter of luck that decides the difference between a 9 and a 14.

6. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!! Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2005
    working on my tan......
    I suggest that you study Verbal right before the test then.

Does your sciences flunctuate too when you study verbal?

7. badasshairday

Apr 6, 2007
    My sciences are pretty constant. Around 11-12 for physics and 12-13 bio. I'm just reeeeeeeealy worried about verbal. Sometimes I just can't focus on what the heck is going on in the passage and I know I will do poorly. Other times I am so in the zone that I know I will hit the double digits.

8. snsboy16

snsboy16 2+ Year Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I'm the same way... I usually score anywhere on verbal between an 8-10. I got a 7 today on my practice test. I'm taking the real thing on the 11th! I feel your pain.

9. badasshairday

Apr 6, 2007
    snsboy,

You and I WILL get verbal double digits on May 11! Work hard!

10. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!! Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2005
    working on my tan......
    I try to actively read.

I get in the mindset that this is the most interesting $hit ever!!

It seems to work for me.

Think when you read, not just read and then think. Hope that makes sense!

11. prettymonkey

prettymonkey 2+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2007
    do you guys go over your verbal tests after you take them like you do with science sections? how about for the kaplan ones? are their explanations about why answers are right or wrong useful or a waste of time? i would also like to say that my verbal scores for kaplan tests are ALL over the place. as high as 14 and as low as 7. usually i score around 12 though. thankfully the aamc verbal sections are more similar and my scores are stable at 11's or 12's.

12. J ROD

Aug 1, 2005
    working on my tan......
    No because my scores are similar to yours and I happy there.

I usually just miss a couple as expected to the fast pace or simply not understanding.

I plan to use my time more on the sciences esp. PS.

Physics is my beast!!

13. badasshairday

Apr 6, 2007
    **** Yes! I Hit 11 On Verbal Today!!!!!!!!!!

14. ViolinCello

ViolinCello 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I am a retaker, and I got an 11 the first time around. I got a 7 on the Kaplan Diagnostic -- which made no sense to me. I have been all over the place since then, 10-14. But on AAMC, I am much more regular, around my 10-11. I have read so many of these posts, but I honestly have never been able to figure out how to study for it. So I just ignored everything verbal on Kaplan, and focused on the sciences -- which I hope works when I get the new scores. Verbal baffles me, so I just don't worry about it anymore.

15. badasshairday

Apr 6, 2007
    All i know is that my verbal goes to **** if I don't practice it every day. It really is all about practice. You get use to it. My score has gotten a lot better since I have been practicing daily on it.

16. ViolinCello

ViolinCello 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2007
    But what do you practice? None of the test prep stuff seems similar to the real material.

17. badasshairday

Apr 6, 2007
    I use kaplan's stuff. The questions I feel are a bit trickier than the AAMC but the readings and timing are pretty similar. It just allows me to become accustomed to those question types and what to look for while I am reading.

18. evoviiigsr

evoviiigsr 7+ Year Member

Dec 22, 2006
    EK 101

19. uzbekistevie

uzbekistevie Engine 628 10+ Year Member

to the OP: You said that when you ignored verbal your score went down but when you studied again your score came up. Keep in mind verbal is 1/3 of your total score so really you should be spending about 1/3 of your study time on it. You've seen that preparing for it (or not) affects you score.

I agree that none of the prep stuff seems like the real stuff. That's why I think the best materials to prepare for verbal are AAMC materials. I don't use anything else and regularly score 11-12. The key is pulling the main idea out of the passage. If you REALLY understand the main idea of the questions aren't that difficult. Most of the questions are just asking about the main idea in a way that makes it seem like they aren't. After reading ask yourself: What is the ONE thing the author wanted me to take away from this passage? What's the point? Also: What is the tone of the passage? Is it positive or negative toward the topic discussed? With this you can answer the "tricky" questions like "Which of the following would the author be most/least likely to agree with?" or "Which of the following most wekens the author's argument." "Author's argument" just means "main idea."

Anyway, keep putting in the time. It's all about practice.

20. docdocgoose

docdocgoose secondelirious 2+ Year Member

May 2, 2007
    Here's one thing I started doing today with verbal that makes things clearer; maybe it'll help you guys.

On the questions that ask "...which one of the following statements challenges the author's assertion blah blah blah" or "... which of the following, if true, would most likely weaken the author's etc.", I started doing the following. I pretend I'm another guy, talking to the author, and confront the author and say in my head, "Well, hey, but __________ (first answer choice)." Then, that either seems like a reasonable argument (! good possible answer) or nonsensical (discard that answer). So I go through all of the 4 choices going, "Well, hey, but _____________."

Another thing I was doing before on the "challenge" questions was I would ask, "Would the author agree with _______________ (answer choice 1)? With ____________ (answer choice 2)?" etc.

I hope this continues to work.

ps - thanks for the advice on Physics, badasshairday, and congrats on breaking 11 in VR!! :)

21. meddoc1

meddoc1 2+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I know this is not the problem for many ppl, but for me, my biggest problem is time and not understanding the passage. I don't understnad why they can't write in english that is easy to understand.
    If I don't understand the passage, what is the best thing to do??

22. Tensyle

Tensyle 3 more months 5+ Year Member

May 4, 2007
    I seriously used to have the exact same problem as you did. Still, i find it hard to understand some parts of the passage. But what I do it I take my hand OFF the mouse, and just read it as though I dont have questions to answer. I just read it to understand what the author is saying - and I come up with a MAIN idea for each paragraph. You dont need to understand everything, just the main idea is enough. Now, when you answer the questions, if you are running out of time, don't look back at the passage (unless it's a retrieveal) question. Just rely on your MAIN idea to answer each question. If that doesnt work, eliminate answers that dont make sense - they're usually not right. It's hard to explain, but you get better with practice. I started off with like a 6, and i'm scoring a 10 now...and ive done about 12 VR tests so far...:eek: