• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

BIG hands vs. SMALL hands...

sandman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2001
Omaha, NE
    Big hands with hotdog fingers will probably not be something that helps out in the long run. Whatever you gain in grip on a cowhorn, you'll likely end up having to tone it down in order to not fracture crowns off. Smaller hands have a definite advantage when it comes to placing inlays, crowns, and implant pieces

About the Ads

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Jun 4, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
      I have been told that smaller hands are more advantageous than large ones: the smaller digits are more adept at fitting into a patient's mouth and patients generally prefer them to sausages. All in all I don't think your hand size is as crucial to your success as a dentist as say your manual and especially your interpersonal skills.

OMFSCardsFan

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jul 17, 2005
        If you're worried about the size of your hands, study hard and apply for Ortho. Then, you can hire attractive assistants with smaller hands. That way, when you point, your larger hand is visible from further away. You won't even have to leave the coffee pot. To increase visibility, you can always tape the tips of your fingers, like a high school football coach calling plays. It's a win-win situation...

Cold Front

Supreme Member
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
        Dec 6, 2005
        Ohio
        1. Dentist
          OMFSCardsFan said:
          If you're worried about the size of your hands, study hard and apply for Ortho. Then, you can hire attractive assistants with smaller hands. That way, when you point, your larger hand is visible from further away. You won't even have to leave the coffee pot. To increase visibility, you can always tape the tips of your fingers, like a high school football coach calling plays. It's a win-win situation...

:laugh: :thumbup:

About the Ads

HuyetKiem

10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Apr 16, 2004
          Texas
          1. Dentist
            ItsGavinC said:
            You don't elevate at all? The secret to quick and easy extractions is to elevate--the forceps ought to simply deliver the tooth.

Rarely. I did more damage to the interdental papilla by using elevator. Don't take me long to pull any tooth by using forceps anyway, normally less than 2 mins.

El Guapo78

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Nov 29, 2005
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              HuyetKiem said:
              Rarely. I did more damage to the interdental papilla by using elevator. Don't take me long to pull any tooth by using forceps anyway, normally less than 2 mins.

Really, how many extractions could you have done being only a 2nd year dental student?

HuyetKiem

10+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Apr 16, 2004
              Texas
              1. Dentist
                El Guapo78 said:
                Really, how many extractions could you have done being only a 2nd year dental student?

Too many to count. I did 24 surgical and simple extractions this week including 2 wisdom teeth (1 was partially erupted). One of the senior at my school has done more than 2000 extractions in the past years.

Happy83

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Sep 24, 2005
                1. Pre-Dental
                  HuyetKiem said:
                  Too many to count. I did 24 surgical and simple extractions this week including 2 wisdom teeth (1 was partially erupted). One of the senior at my school did more than 2000 extractions in the past years.

Which dental school are you currently attending? Juz curious....

nnjh

10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Jul 19, 2004
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    I have big huge hands that sweat profusely. I envy classmates with petite hands that maneuver effortlessly inside patient's mouths. I on the other hand ripped open my mannequin's mouth on both ends.

Badtz-Mawu

SDN Donor
                    10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Sep 28, 2005
                    1. Pre-Dental
                      HuyetKiem said:
                      Too many to count. I did 24 surgical and simple extractions this week including 2 wisdom teeth (1 was partially erupted). One of the senior at my school has done more than 2000 extractions in the past years.

If you don't mind me asking, is this all in clinic at Case? I didn't know we got to do those type of procedures in our second year. Or did you get to do the procedures volunteering somewhere else?

bkwash

10+ Year Member
                      7+ Year Member
                      Jun 12, 2005
                      Boston, MA
                      1. Dental Student
                        OMFSCardsFan said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

FlossY

10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Feb 28, 2006
                        Kentucky-Ya'll
                        1. Pre-Dental
                          AhhPuller said:
                          How many years do you think you have before your hands go??!

gOOd question......would like to see some replies on that

Small hands with short fat fingers= no good
                          Large hand with short fat fingers= no good
                          Small and Large hands with skinny long fingers= easier for the dentist GOOD!

About the Ads
                          This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          7. This thread is locked.