big mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treesap

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have I made a mistake?
:eek:
I'm applying for residency NEXT year, but planned my year so that I could be interviewing in November.

From reading your posts, it looks like everyone is just GETTING interviews at this time of year, not actually interviewing. Was that a bit ambitious? When do they do these things anyway? Would it be better to try and get my vacation block in December?

Any hints would be great, thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Many good programs interview in november, but the MOST competitive
medicine programs generally interview in december and january. Places like hopkins often do not even send out the invites until the 2nd week of november.

Yeah, if you're gonna take one month off for interviewing, I wouldn't make it November. I'm gonna be out of the country in January, so I have scheduled a handful of interviews in November, but the bulk of them will be in December. It would be tough to do all your interviewing in November. Even if you only wanted to interview at, say, 5-6 programs (which is doable in IM if you have a good application and pick the right ones for you), you might run into scheduling conflicts and not be able to go to one or two of them.

Thanks!
I might be stuck, but I'll see what I can do. I appreciate your help.