Big Moore or Baby Moore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dafade

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone...I'll be a 1st year in August and have been getting an idea as to which books are most commonly recommended. Just wondering about the Big vs the baby; getting many mixed opinions.
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Almost universally I prefer the "big" versions of texts. This will be school dependent but our note sets tend to be pretty good. Therefore I only use the big reference text when I have a question about something.

Hey everyone...I'll be a 1st year in August and have been getting an idea as to which books are most commonly recommended. Just wondering about the Big vs the baby; getting many mixed opinions.
Thanks!!

You won't have time for big moore. It's too dense.

Members don't see this ad :)
depends on how much time you have. I think big moore is superior, but takes some time to read (doable if you have block classes, not if you have five at once). the illustrations in big moore are 100x better and numerous (they're from grant's atlas), while with little moore you'll need to sit there with a separate atlas to really integrate the text with visual imagery (annoying if you hate flipping back and forth).

Would it be worth it to get both of them??

start taking the class and then judge how much time you have to read as well as your own interest. I know lots of people at my school never touch either of them.

I liked big, but baby would definitely be sufficient. You don't need big.

It completely depends on how your school's tests are written.

So instead of asking on SDN, I would suggest asking people at your school.

I had both books (I was a big book buyer in my preclinical days) and Snell... I read baby Moore cover to cover, and looked at the pictures and blue boxes in big Moore, and the pictures in Netter. The CD that came with Netter was awesome because of the quiz function -- especially where you force yourself to type out the names of structures. I didn't like Snell at all -- it was way to schematic.

Best,
Anka

I like big, but it's a LOT of reading. I am seriously considering getting baby (meaning I just haven't gotten around to it yet). My plan is to read big once, and then review with baby.

Thanks!!

Both! I read baby cover-to-cover, but some sections were inadequate I felt (e.g. head+neck / that whole strap/thyroid area) so I supplemented my knowledge with big Moore. Big Moore is one of the best ever textbooks I have seen... in any discipline... it is written so well.