Big problem....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Life Sucks

STUDY HARD PANTZ ON...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, let me give you the short version. Basically, because of an error from my university, I didn't take Bio and Chem 1 my first semester,and I can't take it next semester because it isn't offered. So, I talked to my advisor and she said I'm not behind and should just go on with SDEMP and take no summer classes. I want to do the Meharry BA-MD bridge but I think you need science courses to take it. But my advisor also said I can apply sophmore year...
Anyway, what do you guys think I should do, anyone in this situation or decided late to do medicine as a career....

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, let me give you the short version. Basically, because of an error from my university, I didn't take Bio and Chem 1 my first semester,and I can't take it next semester because it isn't offered. So, I talked to my advisor and she said I'm not behind and should just go on with SDEMP and take no summer classes. I want to do the Meharry BA-MD bridge but I think you need science courses to take it. But my advisor also said I can apply sophmore year...
Anyway, what do you guys think I should do, anyone in this situation or decided late to do medicine as a career....

Perhaps another local school offers them.

I think around 60% of medical students or applicants (can't remember which one) decide on medicine before college, so deciding in your freshman year is not deciding late by any means.

Look for summer programs offering biology and chemistry introductory courses and make sure your home institution will accept them. I think chemistry is more imperative to take earlier because it is a prereq for organic chemistry. You should be able to take biology sophomore year and be fine. As long as you have them in before you take the MCAT, you should be fine although I would not recommend taking them too late and concurrently. I cannot speak much about the SMDEP, but I don't want you to think it is necessary (although a great resource and resume booster). I have read it is a great program and rather competitive, but if you cannot if it in because prerequisite scheduling conflicts, don't feel too bad. You will have that extra time to commit to volunteer or shadowing experience.