Big vs little The ICU Book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one is more optimal for EM residents going on an ICU rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

I read the big ICU book when I was a subintern and it was great. Took me a lot of time though, as it's over a thousand pages. The new version is apparently coming out this month (10/23/2013). The little ICU book is much more succinct which is nice, but it loses some of the nuance and explanation of pathophysiology in exchange for brevity. I thought that the big ICU book was great for understanding what is going on, understanding ventilators, understanding pathophysiology, but now that I'm no longer in medical school I realize that it didn't help as tremendously for day-to-day ICU care, specific orders for specific conditions, doses, duration, etc. because it doesn't really go into that. If you have free time I think it's a good read for critical care in general, but for my general ICU care I think my general EM knowledge + Pocket Internal Medicine for more IM-related stuff that's not really germane to EM was the most helpful during my ICU rotations so far in residency. I have another one coming up in a couple of months, so I'd definitely also be interested in the opinions of others.