Biggest thing I overcame? Multiple accidents in consecutive days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

ratman7

Recently, I was involved in 2 separate car accidents in consecutive days. Neither was my fault, as I was rear ended by another driver each time. Thankfully no one was hurt, but the cars were damaged. (both times, I stopped at a stop sign or red light, and then was rear-ended because the guy behind me didn't)
These were on roads I drive everyday to get from my apartment to college.
Immediately following this, I suffered a deep loss in confidence and was "afraid" I would be injured next time I drove. 2 no-fault accidents in 2 days was scary.
Both incidents, there was nothing I could do to prevent because it was solely the fault of the driver behind me.
I am still recovering from this and hope things can get almost back to normal.
(any advice on how to to deal with this, please offer)

This got me thinking on events that you cannot control, but may experience. For questions like "what was the greatest challenge you overcame", would this unfortunate events be appropriate? Involved in 2 accidents consecutive days where I could not prevent them from happening. No matter how good/knowledgeable you may be, there are chances things will go wrong due to uncontrollable circumstances.

To all those who drive, please drive safely.

Members don't see this ad.

Umm I wouldn't answer this as your greatest challenge. I think they are looking more for a personal incident that happened, and allowed you to grow and learn as a person and overcome adversity.

I think this could be used, but I think other answers could make a better essay.

Reactions: 4 users
This might make an interesting secondary response, but if I asked someone what the BIGGEST thing they ever overcame was and they told me this I would think, "wow, must be nice..."

Glad you're OK though!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Umm I wouldn't answer this as your greatest challenge. I think they are looking more for a personal incident that happened, and allowed you to grow and learn as a person and overcome adversity.

I think this could be used, but I think other answers could make a better essay.
I guess I learned that there were things which may happen that you cannot control regardless of what you do. Could be analogous to a patient dying even though you did all you could. Weak analogy, but this was great adversity personally to me.

Yeah this could be used in an essay, but I agree with @PreciousHamburgers that I would probably not use this for a "greatest difficulty" answer. You could use this if they ask you how you deal with failure, or when was a time you were in a situation and helpless to change it (which I never got asked at an interview)

The "greatest difficulty" is not a pissing contest to see who has had the hardest life. Look carefully at the question and you'll find that it is often an attempt to have you describe how you coped with difficulty and to have you describe your coping skills. So, how will you manage to overcome the loss of confidence that you are experiencing after being involved in two unfortunate incidents in two days. While you need not make ties to medicine, there will be those times where you'll do everything correctly and a patient will still have a bad outcome and two of those bad outcomes in two days could shake your confidence. How will you get back on the bike??

Time is a great healer. You should also try to drive with great mindfulness including breaking slowly as you approach a light rather than stopping quickly. These rear-enders have gotten to be a problem as people try to avoid being cited by red light cameras. Be careful out there.

Reactions: 7 users
This might make an interesting secondary response, but if I asked someone what the BIGGEST thing they ever overcame was and they told me this I would think, "wow, must be nice..."

Glad you're OK though!

So, should everyone who hasn't overcome some higher degree of trauma be excluded from medical school? Being kidnapped by a serial killer and held hostage for 67 days shouldn't be a requirement to be a doctor.

Some people have relatively uneventful lives in terms of difficulties. This does not mean they're not cut out to be a doctor.

Difficulties are relative. If you grew up impoverished eating mustard sandwiches twice a day, then your definition of a 'challenge' and 'difficult' is different than someone who grew up eating three square meals a day. What's important is how whatever experience you're describing has affected you and contributed to your growth.

So, should everyone who hasn't overcome some higher degree of trauma be excluded from medical school? Being kidnapped by a serial killer and held hostage for 67 days shouldn't be a requirement to be a doctor.

Some people have relatively uneventful lives in terms of difficulties. This does not mean they're not cut out to be a doctor.

Difficulties are relative. If you grew up impoverished eating mustard sandwiches twice a day, then your definition of a 'challenge' and 'difficult' is different than someone who grew up eating three square meals a day. What's important is how whatever experience you're describing has affected you and contributed to your growth.

If this is your greatest challenge, you would have a hard time empathizing with other people. Who said anything about excluding anyone? I just said what my reaction would be.

Also, if I read that this was somebody's greatest challenge, I would think that this person never really put themselves out there or took any risks. Challenged themselves..

I am still recovering from this and hope things can get almost back to normal.
(any advice on how to to deal with this, please offer)
To all those who drive, please drive safely.

I got in a bad accident where a car t-boned me. It was terrifying, air bags deployed, thank goodness I was okay. Idk it may have been good for me though, because I drive super cautious now. And I'm always worried about cars turning when they are not supposed to and what not, but yeah I know what you mean. You'll feel better eventually, it won't be an overnight thing.

I think it is really how you tell them of your challenge, you have to portray it in a way that it was a challenge and you overcame it. If you are still struggling with it, then it may be a detriment to your application if that makes sense.

I met someone on the interview trail that had the same thing happen to him. Like exactly, multiple rear-ends. Did you interview at UTMB and UTH?

If this is your greatest challenge, you would have a hard time empathizing with other people. Who said anything about excluding anyone? I just said what my reaction would be.

Also, if I read that this was somebody's greatest challenge, I would think that this person never really put themselves out there or took any risks. Challenged themselves..

You said you'd think: "wow, must be nice..." The implication there is clear--his greatest challenge is subpar in your eyes. By definition, this means it will hurt an applicant's competitiveness. What risks and challenges would qualify in your eyes?

Have I lived in extreme poverty? No. Am I able to understand that it's awful and crippling? Yes. Do I understand it as well as someone who did live in extreme poverty? Probably not. Do you see the difference?

Furthermore, PTSD (or similar mental trauma) after car accidents is real. An ex girlfriend of mine got t-boned years back, and to this day she still randomly has severe anxiety/panic attacks while driving.

You said you'd think: "wow, must be nice..." The implication there is clear--his greatest challenge is subpar in your eyes. By definition, this means it will hurt an applicant's competitiveness. What risks and challenges would qualify in your eyes?

Have I lived in extreme poverty? No. Am I able to understand that it's awful and crippling? Yes. Do I understand it as well as someone who did live in extreme poverty? Probably not. Do you see the difference?

Furthermore, PTSD (or similar mental trauma) after car accidents is real. An ex girlfriend of mine got t-boned years back, and to this day she still randomly has severe anxiety/panic attacks while driving.

I wouldn't rank 'greatest challenges' as subpar, superb, or anything else, but I would want something like difficulty working with coworkers, a difficult job or task, a social difficulty (friends or family), an athletic or other competitive experience. I would want to see that the applicant has taken some risks to better themselves and grow emotionally. I would be wondering what the heck they were doing their whole life that being rear-ended twice was the GREATEST challenge they overcame. And again, this is just my opinion. I am obviously not an adcom member, although I have interviewed people for jobs.

Reactions: 1 users
That's interesting, I have heightened anxiety after being rear-ended now as well. I always stare at my rear-view mirror to the point that I almost hit the person in front of me. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't rank 'greatest challenges' as subpar, superb, or anything else, but I would want something like difficulty working with coworkers, a difficult job or task, a social difficulty (friends or family), an athletic or other competitive experience. I would want to see that the applicant has taken some risks to better themselves and grow emotionally. I would be wondering what the heck they were doing their whole life that being rear-ended twice was the GREATEST challenge they overcame. And again, this is just my opinion. I am obviously not an adcom member, although I have interviewed people for jobs.

Again, challenges are relative.

Maybe playing high school football isn't the greatest challenge in OP's life, and neither is getting stuck with a bunch of slackers for a group project that made him do all the work. His challenge is not getting in two car accidents. It's the aftermath--what if he has difficulty driving? What if his mental state is drastically altered? What if, as a result of this, he has grown as an individual to better understand the fragility of life, yada yada?

The challenge itself is what you're calling into question. You don't care about the "better themselves" or "grow emotionally" portion of your statement. What you're saying is that this growth can only be achieved in a limited array of challenges. I'm saying that the challenge isn't the meat of the writing (within reason--stepping on a lego barefoot should not be used), but it is the growth and development that resulted from whatever the challenge is.

That's interesting, I have heightened anxiety after being rear-ended now as well. I always stare at my rear-view mirror to the point that I almost hit the person in front of me. :/

That's what I'm talking about--car accidents are no joke. If it helps, I think that staring into your rear view mirror isn't going to help you avoid being rear ended much.. For example, if you're at a traffic light surrounded by cars, you have no escape route regardless if you see it coming or not. Wearing your seat belt and driving safely are the best things you can do. :) You have full control over your own vehicle--and unfortunately, other people get to control theirs as well.

Reactions: 1 user
The biggest obstacle I ever overcame was outswimming all those other sperm.

SUCKERS!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Any one have any additional advice to offer after undergoing multiple car accidents? Does time really heal and will I be able to get back to normal instead of feeling paranoid while driving?

Ever since this happened, I haven't been in the mental state of mind to go to class for the past 1.5 weeks and ended up missing 2 quizzes and an exam. I drove to class the day after, but after I got there I start feeling unknown symptoms (lump in throat when swallowing and acute chest pain on one side occasionally). Doctor told me nothing is wrong and told me it should be gone in 1-2 days. That timeframe has passed yet I still experience those feelings. I am not sure if they are even existent or if they are all just in my head. Both the accidents were not my fault, so I feel super conscious while driving and it seems like more people are tailgating me after the accident. I haven't drove since yesterday and I probably re-entered the process of loss in confidence. I keep asking myself, why did this happen to me? 2 accidents in 2 days, there is definitely something? etc.

I don't know how to get rid of these feelings and revert back to normal. No signs of depression or serious mental concern. I really want to feel better soon and get back to class so I don't fall even more behind.

Please offer advice (especially if you've experienced or dealt with accidents) and how you recovered from them.

Any one have any additional advice to offer after undergoing multiple car accidents? Does time really heal and will I be able to get back to normal instead of feeling paranoid while driving?

Ever since this happened, I haven't been in the mental state of mind to go to class for the past 1.5 weeks and ended up missing 2 quizzes and an exam. I drove to class the day after, but after I got there I start feeling unknown symptoms (lump in throat when swallowing and acute chest pain on one side occasionally). Doctor told me nothing is wrong and told me it should be gone in 1-2 days. That timeframe has passed yet I still experience those feelings. I am not sure if they are even existent or if they are all just in my head. Both the accidents were not my fault, so I feel super conscious while driving and it seems like more people are tailgating me after the accident. I haven't drove since yesterday and I probably re-entered the process of loss in confidence. I keep asking myself, why did this happen to me? 2 accidents in 2 days, there is definitely something? etc.

I don't know how to get rid of these feelings and revert back to normal. No signs of depression or serious mental concern. I really want to feel better soon and get back to class so I don't fall even more behind.

Please offer advice (especially if you've experienced or dealt with accidents) and how you recovered from them.
It goes away. Just take a deep breath and don't let it change your behavior, or you'll end up with some unhelpful habits.
Accidents happen. Life is life. You're one of the lucky ones - sounds like these were shrug-off events.

Personally, I always relax by recognizing that nothing has changed, you are always at the mercy of random drivers, criminals, etc. Bad things can happen for no reason at any time, and you're slightly more aware of that now, but that has always been true and always will be, so don't try to control it or worry about it, because it will do no good. However, most people seem to find that stressful, and then they stress out about how they haven't been stressing out enough, so...yeah. Your options are pretty much to accept it or to try and forget about it again, your call.

OP,

I definitely sympathize and do see a place for such a story. When I first started driving I had two accidents in the same month, granted they were two minor accidents. Still, I had anxiety after and opted not to drive for months. I can't imagine having two consecutive accidents especially in the early years. It is a scary thing to feel like no matter what you do something unpredictable can happen, but you still have to put faith in your knowledge and abilities and proceed with confidence, albeit caution. This is applicable to almost anything in life. It is good that you are more aware of your degree of control, it will only serve to make you a more cautious driver.

You will feel better, but it does take time. Though it's important that paranoia does not lead you to completely avoid driving, especially at the cost of missing class. Maybe try carpooling, at least getting back in a car, even though you are not driving will help, then later getting back in the driver seat. Perhaps, short neighborhood routes first before getting back on main streets and highways. Think of it as systematic desensitization. You just have to get your confidence back.

I feel you man. I got into an accident in which I was driving a rental car and the brake on the car failed which caused me to frantically swerve around multiple cars and eventually crash into a car parked on the side of the street. For days on end I kept wondering, "What if the brake failed as I was driving through an intersection with people in it?" Still gives me shudders.

You just gotta ignore the thoughts of doubt and eventually they tend to disappear.

I feel you man. I got into an accident in which I was driving a rental car and the brake on the car failed which caused me to frantically swerve around multiple cars and eventually crash into a car parked on the side of the street. For days on end I kept wondering, "What if the brake failed as I was driving through an intersection with people in it?" Still gives me shudders.

You just gotta ignore the thoughts of doubt and eventually they tend to disappear.
You wonder those things, and then you figure out what you would do, so that the next time you didn't have to frantically swerve around, and then you are actually better off than you were beforehand.

To make matters worse, my insurance company is raising my premiums an extra $2000 even though I was at no fault for both.

America these days. Everything's an unfair money making business. Sure hope the medical field doesn't turn into this within the near future

Get some help @ratman7. Right now, you're describing the greatest challenge you haven't overcome, and that's the problem. Your post-accident anxiety is interfering with your life, and you need to work through it.