Bilingual Physical Therapists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mperaza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So as a fluent Spanish speaker, I've been told my entire life that I'll have an advantage over people that do not speak Spanish when it comes to finding a job in the work force. For those of you that are in the PT field right now, do you see a difference in salary for those that are bilingual?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about a difference in salary, but where I live I can promise you you would see an increase in employability. As trite as what people have always said to you is, it really is a beneficial skill.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been told it makes you more marketable. Also, in some cases I have heard there being a slight increase in salary if it is a specific need of the clinic. I myself should speak Spanish Fluently - but I speak partial Spanish lol. So I'll definitely be becoming fluent. Spanish speakers appreciate when there is someone who speaks Spanish, which in turn makes them comfortable with their treatment etc. I've definitely had it happen to my coworker and myself at the clinic I work at,which has lead to referrals. So it's never a terrible thing! Only a plus.

I'd expect improved employability, though not necessarily salary. It also depends on your location. It's a far more marketable skill in some geographic regions than others.

Reactions: 1 user
I speak Spanish and Chinese fluently and it makes me more marketable for sure. For home health, I was able to negotiate my rate $5 more than the avg rate and my caseload is 80% Spanish speaking. For my outpatient clinic job, it didn't get me more money but they treat me very well and my Spanish caseload is about 25%. My advise is to look for specific jobs that bilingual is "required" or " preferred" to maximize your skill and ca$h in!!

Reactions: 3 users