binding acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDrKt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
In my acceptance letter to MUO, it says nothing about making a deposit. It just references accepting a seat in the class. Would accepting this be binding? I am not early decision, so I don't think so, but I just wanted to check. Don't most schools have deposits?

Members don't see this ad.

FutureDrKt said:
Hi,
In my acceptance letter to MUO, it says nothing about making a deposit. It just references accepting a seat in the class. Would accepting this be binding? I am not early decision, so I don't think so, but I just wanted to check. Don't most schools have deposits?

most schools have deposits. it isn't binding.

FutureDrKt said:
Hi,

Call and double check that the letter means that absent your withdrawl, you are guaranteed a seat in the entering class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you are not ED applicant, I doubt your acceptance is binding. As mentioned above, call and check. You are already accepted so no worries here about bothering them.

dr.z said:
Since you are not ED applicant, I doubt your acceptance is binding. As mentioned above, call and check. You are already accepted so no worries here about bothering them.

MUO does not require a deposit and it is non-binding. I was accepted there in January last year, accepted the acceptance, and held it (along with three others until May 15th). At that time, I withdrew from the other schools. On May 18th, I received a call from Ohio State offering me a spot. I then withdrew from MUO. I never paid a dime to them.

Nicely enough, many of the Ohio Schools do not require any deposit at all or have a very reasonable one. UC didn't have one, nor did MUO, Ohio State's was $25, NEOUCOM and WSU had one, but I don't remember what they were.

All schools expect that you will hold multiple acceptances until May 15th and that you will notify them in a timely matter if you decide that you are definitely not going to attend so that they may offer that spot to someone else.

Congrats on the acceptance!