Nov 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I've gotten into the habit of doing sometimes upwards of 15-20 passages in a row (currently bio). Is this a bad idea? I've been using TBR Bio, TPR Bio, and I just ordered EK 1001 Bio because I'll be out of material at this rate. I definitely do post-game analysis but I'm worried that I might need to slow down and let things "sink in" instead of doing these power sessions. My exam date is 5/22

Any thoughts on passage binging?

plsfoldthx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
It's definitely NOT a bad idea considering the MCAT is mostly reading comprehension.

Drexon

10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2007
Southern California
Status
Medical Student
It's not a bad idea doing many passages in a row but 15-20 in a row seems a bit excessive to me. Perhaps doing 5-8 passages in a row is perhaps the best. Also are you doing these passages in sequential order ? or are you skipping passages randomly. I suggest that you skip passages randomly to ensure you are testing yourself with a broad variety of topics. I have TPR books and their bio sections are organized in sequential order.. ( there's 3-5 passages of pure micro bio then 3-5 passges of pure neuro etc)

best of luck

Mar 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah I did that for the March exam. It's not a bad idea. I didn't read/get time to read all the answers. So hopefully you have time for that instead of doing 10 passages and reading the solutions to those.

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
I've gotten into the habit of doing sometimes upwards of 15-20 passages in a row (currently bio). Is this a bad idea? I've been using TBR Bio, TPR Bio, and I just ordered EK 1001 Bio because I'll be out of material at this rate. I definitely do post-game analysis but I'm worried that I might need to slow down and let things "sink in" instead of doing these power sessions. My exam date is 5/22

Any thoughts on passage binging?
I did this at first and it's good to build endurance but I would cap it at 7. Why? Well, the actual test will have 7 passages. Then, you can review the 7 passages which is more important because that's where the real learning takes place.

sully677

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I did this at first and it's good to build endurance but I would cap it at 7. Why? Well, the actual test will have 7 passages. Then, you can review the 7 passages which is more important because that's where the real learning takes place.
PhilIvey...I have a friend who is a private pilot, and flies Phil Ivey frequently to poker games. Says he is really awesome and tips great! Hah just a random thought.

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
PhilIvey...I have a friend who is a private pilot, and flies Phil Ivey frequently to poker games. Says he is really awesome and tips great! Hah just a random thought.
LOL. Sully I don't post much but I'm rooting for you. You will be fine. My best verbal advice is to read the passage carefully and note stuff. After each paragraph say what was the point and keep this in mind as you go through all of them. At first this is a chore. Now, when you have this down you won't actually stop and summarize it, you'll have already done it in your head. The reason to do this is that the AAMC on the test was different from the practice tests. I could predict 90% of the answers on the practice exams and got at least an 11. On the actual test I could only predict 50%. HOwever, by employing my strategy which was ripped off a poster named (Swiperfox look him up it's gold), I could look at the answer choices and extrapolate which was the best answer. You will be fine man.

ronaldo23

The Truth
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
phil ivey seems like the man. Apparently his tournament winnings aren't even a fraction of a percent of his total earnings when you consider his cash-games. There was an interview where he talks about how the concept/value of money has no meaning to him anymore

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
phil ivey seems like the man. Apparently his tournament winnings aren't even a fraction of a percent of his total earnings when you consider his cash-games. There was an interview where he talks about how the concept/value of money has no meaning to him anymore
Yes. He has a net worth over 80 million dollars. I play a lot of online poker. It was the only way I stayed sane. I would play 2 or 3 tables and fold unless it was a decent hand otherwise it was reading through my books for 4 weeks. I was on my computer between 12 to 16 hours but probably spent 8 to 10 hours actually studying. My best day I made 4500. The worst day I lost 3000. however, you must have the go big or go home motto.

Ivey is fearless which is what I love about him. He's not the best in the world (Negranu imho), however his recklessness scares off other players. He can read people well though. I saw him dominate omaha hi, he made one of the sickest reads I've seen on hellmuth. it was insane. I hope to be able to play in some circuit events this summer.