binocular vision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrub monkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
help!

i'm a MSIII trying to decide on a specialty right now. i'm very interested in ophtho, but i'm concerned about binocular vision.

i can't see with both eyes through microscopes. i always use one eye. i have a bit of strabismus in one eye, and microscopes are a real struggle. i can see ok through binoculars, but it takes some time and adjustment.

i asked an ophthalmologist about this, but he kind of blew it off. i'm worried that i'll go into an ophtho residency, only to be kicked out because of this.

i've tried doing eye exercises, as suggested by my optometrist, but most ophthalmologist seem to think they are useless.

does anyone have any advice/info? anyone with similar stories or know of other folks with difficulties with binocular vision? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

On a couple of my ENT interviews I was asked about whether or not I had tried working under the microscope. The operating scopes ENTs use for otology etc are binocular, although I don't know how they compare to optho scopes. One interviewer mentioned that occasionaly they had run into residents who couldn't use a binocular microscope, and they said it was very problematic. I didn't get any more specifics than that. If I were you I would see if you can spend some time fooling around with an operating microscope of some sort. Just try performing simple tasks under the scope and see if you are able to do them. It takes practice for everyone, so don't worry if you are awkward at first. It might also be worth asking some other attendings for their opinion as well. Since you are interested in optho and may not want to approach optho attendings with concerns about your surgical abilities, you could ask other surgeons that work under microscopes such as ortho/hand surgeons, ENT or other people that do microvascular work. Best of luck to you.

IMHO, Binocular vision is very essential to being a SURGICAL ophthalmologist. You need to be able to judge depth to be a good surgeon. I've heard that some good surgeons use only one eye but I have never met anyone like that.

There are also certain task in medical ophtho that requires binocular vision but those tasks are less common (although you will be doing that everyday).

You may have binocular vision and not even know it. I would recommend getting your eyes checked out before seriously considering this field. Your friendly neighborhood ophtho can determine if you have binocular vision and how much stereo vision you have. If you befriend an ophtho resident, they will do it for you after hours free of charge.

FYI, some programs required me to submit an eye exam as part of the application process (this is 6 years ago, don't know if it still holds true).

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most programs still require proof of binocular vision at time of application. At least they do here in Canada

I hear it is important to have binocular vision. Even if you are not planning to do surgery after training, you still would have to get through a residency and perform cases to graduate. In ophtho you are working in a smallish surgical field and have to have adequate depth perception. Two programs I know of had monofixators in the past. For one program I heard it was a HUGE problem and it was quite a struggle and dangerous for the patients. He could not do surgery. I am not sure how that resident ever did end up finishing his residency. Since then that program requires evidence of binocular/stereo vision. The other program had a hard time with their resident but not as bad as the one mentioned previously. Still, I think that graduate is not practicing ophtho anymore.

I had to supply proof of a normal ophthalmic exam to one program when I applied.

I agree with trying to work under the microscope for a while to see what your abilities are. If you honestly have a hard time you need to reevaluate your decision for the sake of patients that may have to go under your knife.