Bio, Chem, Phys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Good or bad idea?

• It's not pretty, but it can be done. Just stay buckled down and focused

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Thats a bad idea, you should just stretch it out another year.

Votes: 14 40.0%

• Total voters

Eric552

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been advised against taking all 3 of these at once. How many of you have/would have done this, and think it's very feasible if the time is invested?

Background: I am a recovering gpa'r. My grade is now up in the 3.1 range, however it is still a work in progress. Although this means I am now dedicating 120% into my classes, I feel that I don't naturally wiz through some of the classes like others that have a more solid background.

I would however like to attempt 3 quarters of chem/bio/phys, and am willing to study every hour needed that I am not sleeping, unless it seems to be fairly agreed upon that it is not a good idea.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're recovering your GPA why would you risk it by doing all 3 at once? You already stated that you're not naturally good at these subjects so it would be a huge challenge. Why not put the same amount of effort into 2 or even 1 of these courses and guarantee the 4.0?

Look, some people CAN do this while some people can't. Me personally? I can't do this for I stuggle w/ Biology and Organic Chem together. If you feel that you can complete these classes w/ the desired grade (which I'm assuming is an A) then go ahead. The people I know who are doing it are pretty miserable and have only done it out of necessity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took:

Bio II
Ochem I
Genetics
Bio Stats
Intro Psych

I also was and still am a gpa recoverer. I found that my freshman year downfall was a lack of time management. Once I learned that, that schedule wasn't anything I couldn't handle. There was a lot of weekends at the library, having to ignore my phone that was ringing with somebody telling me they found a good house party to go to. Basically, you just have to tough it out and ask yourself how bad you really want it. I ended up with a 3.92 GPA that semester btw.

I took:

Bio II
Ochem I
Genetics
Bio Stats
Intro Psych

I also was and still am a gpa recoverer. I found that my freshman year downfall was a lack of time management. Once I learned that, that schedule wasn't anything I couldn't handle. There was a lot of weekends at the library, having to ignore my phone that was ringing with somebody telling me they found a good house party to go to. Basically, you just have to tough it out and ask yourself how bad you really want it. I ended up with a 3.92 GPA that semester btw.

Just like this poster did, so can you. Go for it IF you think you can handle it.

**z-z**

It should be easy if you're only taking chemistry/biology/physics + labs (ie, 12 credits.)

Ordinarily I'd say that it's feasible but considering that your gpa is low to start with, I'd strongly recommend that you not do it.

It should be easy if you're only taking chemistry/biology/physics + labs (ie, 12 credits.)

Yes, I was thinking this too. not that it'd be easy (at least for me) but the only way I'd be able to handle all 3 is if they were my only 3 classes for the semester. I love science.. I just don't catch on right away.. it takes awhile.

As long as it's just the General Bio, Chem and Physics, you won't have a problem with it. But i wouldn't try it with the upper level courses unless you're a total badazz like myself.

I feel that I don't naturally wiz through some of the classes like others that have a more solid background.

That statement, combined with your self-reported "3.1 range" is exactly the reason why you shouldn't take all 3 of these classes.

If someone had a high GPA and asked this question, it would seem fine to tell them it would be ok. But for someone with a GPA as low as 3.1(probably lower) to try and take these 3 classes should seriously think about WHY they have a 3.1 and what their GPA might be once they finish(if you don't drop) these 3 classes...

Sorry to be blunt man, but you have a 3.1 GPA for a reason. No need to try to go balls out Superman style in the recovery stage.

That statement, combined with your self-reported "3.1 range" is exactly the reason why you shouldn't take all 3 of these classes.

If someone had a high GPA and asked this question, it would seem fine to tell them it would be ok. But for someone with a GPA as low as 3.1(probably lower) to try and take these 3 classes should seriously think about WHY they have a 3.1 and what their GPA might be once they finish(if you don't drop) these 3 classes...

Sorry to be blunt man, but you have a 3.1 GPA for a reason. No need to try to go balls out Superman style in the recovery stage.

Yep, you are right.. its a 3.087.. but you do have a valid point. Thank you for being blunt, I am looking for completely honest opinions here.

This semester I'm taking Phys II, Gen Bio, and Orgo I. It's a challenge, but it's not impossible. If you are trying to boost your GPA, I wouldn't risk it.

I think you can do it if you manage your time well and really focus. I took anatomy/physiology, ochemII, physicsI, physicsII, one non-science class in my senior year while writing my honors thesis and pulled a 3.86. 8hrs of lab per semester was the worst part. Also note, I struggled to a 3.1 my freshman year.

I took ochem, genetics, cell bio, and physiology all together, and they all had labs except genetics, it's doable, just don't fall behind...

I'm taking Bio, Chem, and Physics right now. But I don't have Physics lab til later, and I'm pretty used to having a full class schedule. I'm getting all A's. I'm actually adding another class next semester because I have some free time. It's been more than doable for me, but it depends on the person.