BIO for non-traditional students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dream team

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ladies and gens,
I am a non-traditional student and haven't taken a lot of bio classes, I have taken two...anyways, i did study the Kaplan in and out and got me no where with BIO...I need help...I took the DAT and I KNOW for fact that the actual test is not anywhere close to what the Kaplan, destroyer and schaum etc covers...I am not a dummy nor a lazy person...I am retaking the DAT in AUG and was wondering if anyone out there and help answer this question...
BTW, I do understand that if you are a BIO major, you'll do fine in BIO section because things have been repeated through out your classes so plaese let's not discuss that

We all know that the DAT (BIO section) has gotten harder, it's a fact...I was out of school for 10 yrs and managed to get 18's in my Ochem and Gchem using Kaplan...I am an engineer and have no problem with PAT, got 20...

Everyone, let's get this thread going untill we find the answer

My 2cents is that we need to find DAT like (new DAT) questions and build up on it, I mean the wording and application question...
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you when you say that Kaplan doesn't seem to prepare you well for the Bio. As far as destroyer bio is concerned....it wasn't designed to be like the DAT...in my opinion, I think it serves to familiarize the student with the topic at hand, and in addition, includes information that you will find useful on the real test.

Myself personally, I'm not a bio major. I am a biochemistry major who has taken a year of biochemistry (for biochem majors) and the lab course that comes with it. Like everyone else, I have intro bio. That's it...not the most impressive life science resume.

After Destroyer, you should try Achiever. Achiever has some very good bio questions in my opinion.

I have reason to believe that I took the same exam that many others have taken. I think that the "hard" questions you're referring to aren't necessarily out of the blue...but have been designed to just intimidate the test takers...or as the Achiever guy says.."time trap" test takers with ambiguous wording.

Obviously test day nerves come into play and thus, can easily amplify the "difficulty" associated with such a question. I think just a little bit of reasoning is needed...eliminating wrong choices seemed to be really easy on the test. If you calm down and don't get intimidated, you'll be surprised how far it can take you on test day.

Try to cool down a bit...study with different sources and I'm sure you'll do much better on the bio. Good luck!

I agree with you when you say that Kaplan doesn't seem to prepare you well for the Bio. As far as destroyer bio is concerned....it wasn't designed to be like the DAT...in my opinion, I think it serves to familiarize the student with the topic at hand, and in addition, includes information that you will find useful on the real test.

Myself personally, I'm not a bio major. I am a biochemistry major who has taken a year of biochemistry (for biochem majors) and the lab course that comes with it. Like everyone else, I have intro bio. That's it...not the most impressive life science resume.

After Destroyer, you should try Achiever. Achiever has some very good bio questions in my opinion.

I have reason to believe that I took the same exam that many others have taken. I think that the "hard" questions you're referring to aren't necessarily out of the blue...but have been designed to just intimidate the test takers...or as the Achiever guy says.."time trap" test takers with ambiguous wording.

Obviously test day nerves come into play and thus, can easily amplify the "difficulty" associated with such a question. I think just a little bit of reasoning is needed...eliminating wrong choices seemed to be really easy on the test. If you calm down and don't get intimidated, you'll be surprised how far it can take you on test day.

Try to cool down a bit...study with different sources and I'm sure you'll do much better on the bio. Good luck!

i am just tired of buying material that at the end don't help...Please expalin, what is the difference between topscore and achiever...i have top score and it's not anywhere close to the actual test...
thanks!!!!!

Oh man oh man....topscore is sucha joke it's not even funny (just my opinion though).

I mean...the material hasn't been updated in like 20 years...absolute joke. Plus the customer service is complete BS.

Achiever is by far the best test simulator on the market. Yes, it's harder...but the guy did an awesome job. So what if it's more difficult??? On test day, the nerves associated with the process even things out in my opinion...so all things are equal.

Just revisit Destroyer bio and supplement it with Achiever. Pretend those achiever tests are the real deal...set up a plan accordingly. You will rock the test...no problem!

Oh man oh man....topscore is sucha joke it's not even funny (just my opinion though).

I mean...the material hasn't been updated in like 20 years...absolute joke. Plus the customer service is complete BS.

Achiever is by far the best test simulator on the market. Yes, it's harder...but the guy did an awesome job. So what if it's more difficult??? On test day, the nerves associated with the process even things out in my opinion...so all things are equal.

Just revisit Destroyer bio and supplement it with Achiever. Pretend those achiever tests are the real deal...set up a plan accordingly. You will rock the test...no problem!
i thought topscore was updated recently...no?