Bio II or Chem II over summer?

TBMcGee

5+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2011
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
    I don't know which to take over summer...If I take Chem II, I can have O.Chem completed by the end of sophomore year, and biochem done before I take the MCAT, but will have cell and molec bio while I take the MCAT. If I take Bio II, I can get started on the 60 units of upper division bio that I need to complete, but I would have to take biochem while studying for the MCAT..

Basically, it comes down to, which is more important for the MCAT...cell and molecular bio or biochem?

Thanks for the feedback.

About the Ads

Cristobal16

Jun 24, 2011
    1. Pre-Medical
      I don't know which to take over summer...If I take Chem II, I can have O.Chem completed by the end of sophomore year, and biochem done before I take the MCAT, but will have cell and molec bio while I take the MCAT. If I take Bio II, I can get started on the 60 units of upper division bio that I need to complete, but I would have to take biochem while studying for the MCAT..

Basically, it comes down to, which is more important for the MCAT...cell and molecular bio or biochem?

Thanks for the feedback.

IMO, cell and molecular bio are more important for the MCAT than biochem. Biochem isnt technically covered, and I didn't take it untl after the MCAT, and I did fine. Plus, taking biochem closer to the time of med school is probably better anyway bc then it is fresher in your memory for when you go through it again.

At0mic

lurking > posting
      Mar 10, 2012
      FL
      1. Pre-Medical
        Regardless of which advanced course is more useful for the MCAT, my advice would be to play your strengths. If you're better at chem than bio, do chem over the summer. That way you save the tougher course for when you can afford to learn at a slower pace, so you don't have to rush to keep up.

Though I think cell/molecular bio may be a bit more of a help than biochem will be for the MCAT. But not by much. :)

Last edited:

xXIDaShizIXx

7+ Year Member
        Sep 18, 2011
        1. Other Health Professions Student
          Bio II, Chem II is too hard/too much material to master during the summer IMO

if you have to choose between the two I would go with chemistry. Bio (especially Bio II) has way too much info to memorize in a summer.

The one problem with varying opinions lol.:D Well OP a lot of math (not too hard) is involved in Chem II, But in Bio II there is a ton of information, because its on ecology, taxonomy, etc. If I had to choose I would say Chem II, given that you are decent at math and have a good professor.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.